Winter Fly Swap 2019

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Dewayne

I made this thread a sticky so everyone can find it easier. Thanks for stepping up and hosting this swap!
No problem Larry. Swaps are a good thing for the forum. No reason we can't do at least two per year and maybe even three.

I'll type out the the swap instructions and send them out again tonight. I'll have to copy-paste them and send out in smaller groups, rather than 10-11 members. That's fine now that I know. It's a safety feature to make it harder to spam the membership.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
No problem Larry. Swaps are a good thing for the forum. No reason we can't do at least two per year and maybe even three.

I'll type out the the swap instructions and send them out again tonight. I'll have to copy-paste them and send out in smaller groups, rather than 10-11 members. That's fine now that I know. It's a safety feature to make it harder to spam the membership.
If I remember correct, the system limits pm's to five.

Larry

r reese

Reaction score
Got the info. I left mine on the mop head. That way you could cut them to the proper length for me.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Got the info. I left mine on the mop head. That way you could cut them to the proper length for me.
LOL, that sounds pretty efficient. Just stick a dozen hooks in a mop head and ship it. A lot of the guys in the swap claim to be older and blinder than I. I'm thinking just lash some powerbait on a #24 hook and call it my micro scud. Not like most of us will ever get tippet through the hook eye anyhow lol.

I'm gonna get myself fired as Swapmeister. :)

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I've received a couple PMs for clarification on "proper" shipping of swap flies. (We have a few new tyers which I think is just awesome. That's part of the point). I hope this guidance helps some.

It's not necessary to expedite them in a USPS small priority mailing box. On the opposite extreme don't throw them in a simple white envelope you'd use to mail a bill or letter. The mail sorter might wreck them. If you'd like, you can ship them in a tiny tin container like they use for breath mints. A little plastic container fly shops use works fine too. So does a couple of small pieces of cardboard or bubble wrap and some tape, then place them in an envelope. our flies are coming back to you in a small padded envelope. We aren't tying tradition spey flies with serious value or time invested.

No matter what you do there is some tiny chance something goes wrong and a package gets lost or damaged. I promise nobody will be angry at you. We'll work though it. Just keep this fun and please don't stress it.

flytire

Reaction score
shipping swap flies

toe tag each fly

put flies in a small plastic/tin box

put box into your self addressed stamped envelope. do no seal this envelope

put the smaller envelope into a larger envelope, seal and go to post office and mail. if you need stamps on your return envelope, then obviously you wouldnt seal the large envelope

DO NOT ASK THE POST OFFICE TO PUT A METERED STAMP ON YOUR RETURN ENVELOPE. THE POSTAGE IS ONLY GOOD FOR THE DAY IT WAS ATTACHED TO THE ENVELOPE. THE SWAPMEISTER WILL HAVE TO PAY THE POSTAGE TO RETURN THE FLIES BACK TO YOU

ask the postal worker stamps not metered stamp! only put stamps on your return envelope

DonW

Reaction score
My Black Copper Johns are in the mail on the way to Iowa, they are a little rough and ready as far as artistry of fly tying goes, but they come with a money back guarantee if they don't catch fish.

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
First batch of flies received all the way from Laramie, WY today. sparsegraystubble -Euro black early stonefly nymph. Some real nice tying Don!
Glad they got there. I would have taken the advice above if I had not already sent them. Never even thought of toe tags, but with my handwriting it probably wouldn’t have been a good idea anyway.

thanks for the kind words about the tying. the nice thing about simple patterns is that even those of us with 10 thumbs can get them onto a hook. One thing I learned with this pattern is that putting head cement on a fly with an ostrich herl collar absolutely ruins the collar.

Best wishes,

Don

ia_trouter

Reaction score
OK I am getting emails and even apologies on fly shipping practices guys. See what flytire posted above? That is an absolutely wonderful way to ship them. I've done it that way myself in the past. Our last few swaps were tough to get going and they died off completely last winter. I wanted this one to work so I decided to keep it easy on participants and improve the chances it would fill up quickly. It's a bit of inconvenience to host a swap, that's just how it is, but nobody asked me to do this. The real inconvenience is when people commit and then don't send their flies in on time.

There is no problem here, the goal is to have fun. I look forward to seeing more ties soon. They are coming in quicker than I ever hoped for. Let's hope it finishes out like that.

MCHammer

Reaction score
That us a really good way to do it Norm.

For this swap I instructed everyone to keep it easy. I can make toe tags and address an envelope back to you easy enough.
Can I ask what the heck a toe tag is? (In the context of a fly swap, that is...I've read my share of detective fiction)

I've finished tying and will probably mail mine out Monday.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Can I ask what the heck a toe tag is? (In the context of a fly swap, that is...I've read my share of detective fiction)

I've finished tying and will probably mail mine out Monday.
A little paper tag with your forum handle and the fly pattern usually. Just going to guess the "toe" reference would refer to tagging a dead body for ID? If you have a printer it's pretty easy print something legible and small. You have hand write them but it's tediuous to keep it legible.

grifmxc

Reaction score
Flies are in the mail, should arrive Wednesday.

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djfan

Reaction score
I wish I would have seen this earlier. I've been on a tying binge lately. Next time for sure!

strmanglr scott

Reaction score
I got to get on this, haven't forgot. Grabbing some hooks today, only had nine.

Got Fri and Sat off, so should be in the mail early next week.