Winter Fly Swap 2019

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Dennyk's flies arrived yesterday.

MCHammer today. I also received your contribution to CFR as well.

For those who also sent CFR flies I will get them to Larry after I get the one's I promised to tie done.

This is going very well. Not that the previous swaps I hosted went bad, but you guys are making it pretty easy so far. I already have half the flies with weeks left before the deadline. Everyone has kept the theme. I have received flies that are truly "winter" flies for those who actually do that. They'll fish in the summer too of course. The quality is very good. I will be asking for a few recipes. I assure you I am going to get most of mine wet this winter because my fly box is a little light at the moment.

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
Maybe we should all post our pattern recipes rather than waiting for requests. Mine is no big deal because Blue Ribbon Flies has it on a YouTube tape. But I don’t mind posting it anyway.

I’m looking forward to seeing these bugs.

Don

dennyk

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to getting that box of flies. Last few times out I've been putting up some early Christmas decorations along the stream! :(

Denny

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Maybe we should all post our pattern recipes rather than waiting for requests. Mine is no big deal because Blue Ribbon Flies has it on a YouTube tape. But I don’t mind posting it anyway.

I’m looking forward to seeing these bugs.

Don
Posting recipes are good. Hopefully I can photograph all these flies and post them up. I'm repeating myself but my goal was participation. Get 12 guys to tie, you'll see the ties when you get them. I am very busy with work now and just wanted to have a easy swap because they are good for the forum. We'll tie streamers next if there is interest. Maybe even a pan fish fly swap. I think I could sell that here. History says three fly swaps for a winter is about the limit.

johnnymaltby

Reaction score
Sorry, I missed that Ard moved this thread. Flies are tied and going out in the mail today! I can't wait to see what everyone has tied.

shopvac.jpg

ia_trouter

Reaction score
OK guys, I wasn't going to say anything but it's now happened more than once so it's probably best I speak up so future swaps are smoother. Perhaps I caused this by instructing you to enclose $3.00 or so for return postage. I didn't mean to imply that is how much postage would be from anywhere to here. I was just trying to keep it easy for everyone as I don't care if it costs me a few bucks to return the flies. This isn't my first round of Flyswapmeister and I knew a few of your would send an extra buck no matter what price I requested.

To the point..... if you take a wild guess on postage and you're a little light, then I get a postage due notice and I have to go pick up a package at the post office. I live rural and usually work when the PO is open so it's a bit inconvenient. I intend to have one more swap this winter so I thought I better mention this now.

Bottomline is if you don't have it stamped at your PO you need to guess little high. I hope this post don't cause anyone any distress. I'm not naming names here and you won't be getting a PM from me. I'll let you guys know when I get through a day without making a mistake. We learn and it's all good OK?

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
OK guys, I wasn't going to say anything but it's now happened more than once so it's probably best I speak up so future swaps are smoother. Perhaps I caused this by instructing you to enclose $3.00 or so for return postage. I didn't mean to imply that is how much postage would be from anywhere to here. I was just trying to keep it easy for everyone as I don't care if it costs me a few bucks to return the flies. This isn't my first round of Flyswapmeister and I knew a few of your would send an extra buck no matter what price I requested.

To the point..... if you take a wild guess on postage and you're a little light, then I get a postage due notice and I have to go pick up a package at the post office. I live rural and usually work when the PO is open so it's a bit inconvenient. I intend to have one more swap this winter so I thought I better mention this now.

Bottomline is if you don't have it stamped at your PO you need to guess little high. I hope this post don't cause anyone any distress. I'm not naming names here and you won't be getting a PM from me. I'll let you guys know when I get through a day without making a mistake. We learn and it's all good OK?
Or if you want to get tough, there is a guy named Larry the Overcoat in Newark who takes on contract enforcements. He is not limited to work in the Northeast. I can give you his email. Everything is high tech these days.

Unfortunately, he doesn’t accept trout flies in payment for his services.

Hang in there Dewayne. We appreciate you shepherding those of us new to this through some of the pitfalls.

Thanks for all your hard work. You know the old saying: “No good deed goes unpunished.”

Enjoy your Turkey Day.

Don

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Or if you want to get tough, there is a guy named Larry the Overcoat in Newark who takes on contract enforcements. He is not limited to work in the Northeast. I can give you his email. Everything is high tech these days.

Unfortunately, he doesn’t accept trout flies in payment for his services.

Hang in there Dewayne. We appreciate you shepherding those of us new to this through some of the pitfalls.

Thanks for all your hard work. You know the old saying: “No good deed goes unpunished.”

Enjoy your Turkey Day.

Don
LOL, I probably need to bust a few forum knees so folks show me some respect. :)

I live in a small town. My actual thoughts are......... I have fixed your junk Post Office Jeep in my driveway more than once and got you back on your route no hassle. Did I send you or the government a bill Amy? No I didn't, so just bring me the damn flies and stop making my life so hard! I'm good for the 47 cents postage due, I really am lol. She's in trouble next time I am home when she delivers a larger package to the door lol.

MCHammer

Reaction score
Parachute Emerger recipe and notes

As promised, here is the recipe (and my notes) for my swap fly:

Parachute Midge Emerger

Hook: Dai-Riki 305 standard dry fly, sizes 16 to 22

Thread: Black 8/0 or 10/0

Indicator: White or orange synthetic fibers or foam

Tag: One or two strands of pearl Krystal Flash cut short

Rib: Pearl Krystal Flash

Body: Scintilla No. 46 Peacock dubbing

Hackle: A few wraps of grizzly; the fibers should be one gap-width long

This recipe is from Scott Sanchez’s excellent book, “A New Generation of Trout Flies,” published in 2005. I highly recommend this book.

The Scintilla dubbing is no longer available. I actually never could find any, and I bought the book in 2007. I have used other peacock-colored dubbing and the fish don’t seem to be able to tell the difference: it is still a very effective fly. Scott states in his book that he has also used olive or claret dubbing.

The indicator is tied in first, leaving enough space in front of it for the head. After tying the indicator material on, pull it back and take a wrap or two of thread in front of it to pitch it up a little. The indicator should be trimmed to the length of the hook shank, which I do after tying it on.

Next, take the thread to the bend of the hook and tie in the Krystal Flash. One of the butt ends of the flash will become the ribbing, so leave one long and tie it back to the bend of the hook.

Dub the body ¾ of the way up the shank. Next, take 3 wraps of the ribbing.

Tie in the hackle, bring the thread in front of the indicator, and whip finish.

Scott uses head cement, but on the smaller sizes I have issues with getting cement in the eye of the hook. Instead, I put a small amount of dubbing wax on the thread near the head before whip finishing.

The flies I tied for this swap are size 20. I didn’t have grizzly hackle that small and it’s a 75 mile drive to my go-to materials shop, so I used what I have. Scott suggests that if you need more flotation for the fly, it’s acceptable to use a larger hackle but I may have gone bigger than I should have on these. They will probably still catch fish; I tied a dozen for myself so I’ll find out.

The fly is meant to be tied onto the tippet with a loop knot, which allows it to float with only the hackle and indicator above the surface. The rest of the fly should be below the surface.

I have had a lot of missed strikes with this fly using standard dry fly hooks in the smaller sizes. In the January/February, 2019, issue of American Angler, Scott Sanchez published an article discussing wide gap hooks for almost all fly patterns, and it makes a lot of sense to use a wider gap for a size 20 or 22 fly. Going forward I will start using scud or emerger hooks with a wider gap for this fly.

This not just a cold-weather fly. I fish the smaller sizes in winter, and sizes 16 and 18 in summer and fall.

Attachments

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Re: Parachute Emerger recipe and notes

Swap flies are going out about next Wednesday. I'm still short some flies. I am not going to track people down, name names here or send out PMs. It worked out well enough and I insist we keep this no stress. If you are attentive to the forum at all, you know if you made a commitment to the swap. Send them by Monday please. In any event I will close this swap down later next week. You may get a duplicate of a few flies. They all look all fishy to me and I assure you some of them are just excellent. You'll be pleased.

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score

Swap flies are going out about next Wednesday. I'm still short some flies. I am not going to track people down, name names here or send out PMs. It worked out well enough and I insist we keep this no stress. If you are attentive to the forum at all, you know if you made a commitment to the swap. Send them by Monday please. In any event I will close this swap down later next week. You may get a duplicate of a few flies. They all look all fishy to me and I assure you some of them are just excellent. You'll be pleased.
Dewayne,

thanks for all your work and effort. I’m sure that whatever you decide will be fine and we will be happy. And I agree that there is no need to point fingers or name those who didn’t get their stuff to you on time. Things happen and those of us who did the tying probably benefitted from the practice and discipline of producing matching flies.

I am not a very disciplined tyer and have a tendency to start trying variations after tying 4 or 5 of a pattern. Sitting down to tie a couple dozen that are actually consistent and match the pattern is something I need to do a lot more often.

Thanks again for doing the work.

And enjoy your holiday season.

Don

ia_trouter

Reaction score

I agree about the lack of discipline when tying. I haven't been tying long enough to know if a particular pattern must follow a strict procedure, and of course we know most actually don't. It's a lot of fun to freestyle them anyhow, especially streamers.

ia_trouter

Reaction score

Guess I better update so folks that mailed flies don't have to wonder. I've received the following the last few days...

Johnny sent some very nice nymphs with an emerger parachute. Very much with the winter fly theme.

Scott sent some nymphs with a flashy white body. I'll get those wet this winter too. If anyone ever needs a five dollar bill folded up small enough to put in your ear, Scott's your man. I did find it lol. :)

Special thanks to Don "sparseraystubble". He's the winter flyswap MVP. He sent a batch of nice shopvacs (he already sent his flies last month). He was concerned the swap would come up short and I'm sure everyone appreciates your efforts Don! I think he would have tied for all of us had I agreed to it. :)

I don't think I've missed any but I'll inventory my envelopes to double check.

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score

Here are tying instructions for two flies. I don’t have photos, but a google search for tying the Shop Vacs will give you a variety of videos. The Euro Stone Fly Nymph instructions can be found on YouTube under Blue Ribbon Flies.

Euro Black Stone Fly Nymph

Hook — 2X long nymph hook size 14
Bead — Black tungsten 3.3 mm slotted bead
Tail — Black pheasant tail fibers
Rib — Small copper wire
Abdomen — Black pheasant tail fibers
Collar — Black ostrich herl
Hot Spot — Thin band of red tying thread between bead and ostrich herl

Do not use cement because the herl will absorb it. Use two whip finishes for durability.

Shop Vac

Hook — 2X short shank scud hook size 16
Thread — 8/0 black Uni
Bead — Gold 2.8 mm slotted tungsten
Rib — Small copper wire
Abdomen — Pheasant tail fibers
Wing — White micro Zenoni
Collar— Couple of wraps of Brown Olive Ice Dub

Both patterns are pretty straight forward to tie. As always, the ribbing over the pheasant tail should be counter wrapped for durability. The Shop Vac pattern calls for peacock as the collar, but I have been using that Brown Olive Ice Dub on a lot of patterns and really like it. It makes a great thorax on soft hackles, a super body for Thin Mint wooly buggers and I like it better than peacock for Prince Nymphs.

Thanks to everyone and particularly Dewayne for making this swap happen.

Best wishes,

Don

strmanglr scott

Reaction score

Guess I better update so folks that mailed flies don't have to wonder. I've received the following the last few days...

Johnny sent some very nice nymphs with an emerger parachute. Very much with the winter fly theme.

Scott sent some nymphs with a flashy white body. I'll get those wet this winter too. If anyone ever needs a five dollar bill folded up small enough to put in your ear, Scott's your man. I did find it lol. :)

Special thanks to Don "sparseraystubble". He's the winter flyswap MVP. He sent a batch of nice shopvacs (he already sent his flies last month). He was concerned the swap would come up short and I'm sure everyone appreciates your efforts Don! I think he would have tied for all of us had I agreed to it. :)

I don't think I've missed any but I'll inventory my envelopes to double check.
That's why I call it shimmer nymph.

Lol, I was in the post office when I did that and I thought the clerk might see me putting cash in the mail and didn't want her to bust me.

Thanks Don

Thanks Dewayne

ia_trouter

Reaction score

Just an update. Not ending quite as I'd hoped for. I planned to ship what I have last week but some life happened. More than one close family member needs my help now in my little spare time. It's going to take some time to get these mailed out properly because I need to identify the flies for this to end as a good swap rather than a pack of flies from who knows who. Could I get a volunteer to snap some pics and post them up on the thread? If so, I will ship to you tomorrow and make sure the flies are labeled. Then I could just send the rest of them out very soon. Promise I'm not skipping the country with all your flies lol. :)

strmanglr scott

Reaction score

Dewayne, take your time I'm in no rush. My fly line isn't getting wet anytime soon.

Do what you need to do and get those out whenever.