Working on my dry flies.

Bam Boozelled

Reaction score
Royal Wulff, Parachute Adams, and Elk Hair Caddis. I've been tying since January so advice is appreciated, I felt that my biggest struggle was with controlling the elk hair stack when I was trying to lock them down the stack would keep slipping around the shank on me.

JoJer

Reaction score
The EHC's look much better than mine, which I can only call "passable". They do catch fish, though. Great search pattern for fast clear water.
Are you taking a turn of thread around the stack of hair, pulling it together, then going around the hook shank? That helps. Then, keeping a tight thumb and finger hold on the stack til you get it pretty well tight. You can feel when it starts to slip and nudge it back where it belongs. I recall early on I considered super-gluing the butts to try to control the spinning and keep the bunch on top of the hook. Better to practice til you get it.
I see the other problem I still have, especially with these flies: Covered hook eyes. One good way to break that habit is to start the base thread closer to the center of the hook shank. Get the back of the fly on the hook up to the start of the thread, then finish the front, wing, head. By your second or third iteration, you'll know better how much room to leave so's not to crowd the hook.

Reaction score
They’ll catch fish. From what I can tell from the picture I would say you don’t need to go so far up the post With the hackle on the parachute Adams. On the elk hair Caddis maybe a little more elk hair and and a little less hackle. Good job though. Just keep practicing.

silver creek

Reaction score
A parachute Adams should be tied using two hackles, grizzly and coachman brown. Nevertheless, your flies are awesome.

There are two ways to tie down the elk or deer hair on the hook. the first is the "pinch" technique in the video below.

The second technique is called the "loose noose" which was published by Doc Thompson in the Orvis Newsletter, Jan/Feb 2009

Step 1: Before tying in the elk hair, wrap a thread base at the elk hair tie in point.

0114_DTTips_5_600.jpg

Step 2: Pinch the elk hair with your index finger on the far side of the hair and your thumb on the near side. Position the elk hair above the tie in spot but not on the tie in spot. Bring thread up on the near side of the hook and make one full loose wrap of thread around the hair only, not the hook.

0114_DTTips_6_600.jpg

Step 3: Bring the thread over the top of the hair and down the far side and catch the far side of the hook then make the third complete wrap. Let the bobbin hang free. Let the bobbin hang for tension.

0114_DTTips_7_600.jpg

Step 4: Make a couple tight thread wraps to secure and help flair the hair. At this point, I take two tight thread wraps through the hair butts to help secure the elk hair in place.

1__#$!@%!#__0114_DTTips_7_600.jpg

Last edited:

Bam Boozelled

Reaction score
Got some tags this evening on the Royal Wulff and I was using it in a dry dropper rig at a small pond. Held up great, I wasn't able to land any off the dry but caught quite a few on the pheasant tail dropper.

I believe that is just a "Adams Dry Fly" the "Parachute" is the poly yarn stack. Thanks for all those great tips as well! @silver creek

chief17

Reaction score
Check out Kelly Galloups video on tying the elk hair caddis. I really like his method. His other videos are killer as well if you haven't seen them.