WTB: Reel (Islander), Extra Spools (Abel, Islander), Rods (Sage)

albertw27

Reaction score
Hi,

Looking for a few odds and ends to round out my quiver of fly rods and reels - any help in sourcing the following is greatly appreciated.

Reels
- Islander FR4 with spare spool

Extra Spool
- Abel #0
- Islander FR2

Rods
- 3wt (Sage 389-5 or something similar)
- 12wt (Sage RPLX)

Many thanks in advance.

Albert

duker

Reaction score
Albert, you may want to post this in the "Wanted/Swap Classifieds" section.

Have you tried contacting Islander to see if they have any spare FR spools lying around? Reason I ask is that I bought my FR2 from them a few years back when they found some old stock. Might be worth an e-mail.

Finally, you might also want to contact the Bear's Den Fly Shop, as they used to sell the FR series--I bought an FR3 from them. They don't list the FRs on their website anymore, but they might have some spare spools lying around.

Nice to see another Islander fan on the forum--I've got five, love them all. Just fantastic reels.

albertw27

Reaction score
Scott,

Thanks for the response and hopefully my post in this section doesn't get me in trouble - new to the forum and still getting the hang of where things go.

Appreciate the idea. I did reach out to Islander on spare spools but waiting to hear back. Hopefully, they do as otherwise, I'll need to find them on the secondary market for my FR2 and FR3 reels.

It's so funny that you mention Bear's Den (if you are referring to the one in MA) as was just pointed in that direction by a colleague who also fishes and touched based with Scott. I'll mention it to him.

Albert

duker

Reaction score
No trouble and no worries--just wondered if it might get more attention there.

Islander seems to be slow in responding these days due to Covid etc., but they're a pleasure to deal with and provide good service.

Had another idea. . .

You may want to consider checking fly fishing forums in British Columbia (there are a number--just google) because obviously they're made there and so a lot more sold used there. Also speypages.com, as Islanders occasionally show up in their classifieds. A "wanted to buy" post in those forums might get some results. I realize you've likely already google searched for sales etc.

I did mean the Bear's Den in MA--living up here in the sticks I usually have to order fly tackle online, and prefer to do so from brick and mortar stores either in Canada or the US. I've ordered from them before and always had excellent service.