Wulff Bermuda Triangle Taper - Thoughts?

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
When reading posts here that involve saltwater fishing, it seems that the lines most commonly mentioned are those made by Rio (e.g., DC Bonefish, Flats Pro) and SA (e.g., Bonefish, Infinity Salt, Grand Slam), and to a lesser extent Cortland (Liquid Crystal) and occasionally Airflo and Orvis. But one line I don't recall having seen mentioned (I'm sure it has been, I certainly haven't read every post) is the Wulff Bermuda Triangle Taper. So my question is: have people here tried and determined they don't like the BTT lines, or is it just a case that the company and the line are under the radar? I know that the freshwater/trout Triangle Taper is a rather polarizing line, but wasn't sure if that "love it or hate it" views extends to the BTT as well.

I ask because I recently purchased one of the BTT lost tip intermediates to pair with my Sage Payload and absolutely love how it performs; it casts even better than the floating line made by another company with an identical grain weight.

According to the info on the company's site, the BTT lines have a 30' head and are a full size (or more) heavy: 7 wt is 225 gr, 8 wt is 243 gr and the 9 wt is 289 grain. So do people think they aren't good presentation lines if casting to spooky fish? Or do the specs suggest another negative? Again, just wondering why the BTT doesn't seem to be talked about much.

original cormorant

Reaction score
On my first tropical trip in 1999 at the end of the day the guide put his T&T Horizon #9 with a bermuda tt in my hand and for the first time in my life I cast a full line (he told me the backend was only slightly cut back). I went home and bought the package. I also have #10 and #12 bermudas and #7 and #8 bermuda shorts. (I got the shorts cheaply). I also use teeny, airflo, sa and rio tropical lines.

In terms of "over-weighting" I've not noticed fish being spooked and the design of the taper isn't the so called brick on a string.

There is a Trident shootout report on the main lines in the Royal Wulff range.

Yes I am a fan of TT, in temperate freshwater my floating line of choice is TT, and I also use the predator(15ft clear intermediate tip) and clear intermediate. I suspect that the lines mostly talked about are those branded with the manufacturers name - SA, Rio, Airflo, Cortland, because that's where the biggest marketing budgets are.

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
I suspect that the lines mostly talked about are those branded with the manufacturers name - SA, Rio, Airflo, Cortland, because that's where the biggest marketing budgets are.
Yes, certainly not surprised that SA and Rio are the most talked about given their respective market shares (kind of like Coke and Pepsi in the cola industry), just surprised so little/zero discussion of the Wulff lines.

pnc

Reaction score
Triangle taper that I have casts well. But no significant difference between like lines. Sinking or intermediate lines and floating line of the same weight. Often are of different diameters. Floating generally the largest. The difference in casting can be dramatic because of this. Floating line being larger. Are more wind resistant.

Can't say why but I regularly see, Rio, SA, and Cortland lines in stores. Seeing Wulff lines is almost a rarity. When I see Wulff lines they are usually of line weights that I don't need or can't use. One time I saw a Wulff line I could use. I got it. Did not actually need it. Took about a year before I used it to replace what was on reel. And is still on.

original cormorant

Reaction score
I don't think it matters whose factory they come out of - its the line profile that's the usp.
fwiw whilst I love the fw, sw and bermuda lines I recently cast a couple of bermuda shorts - #7 and #8 with 23ft heads and these are not at all to my liking - for short casts I'm not sure what they add and for longer casts I didn't turnover the leader consistently.

trev

Reaction score
The plastic formulation, micro this&that, line finish, cores and coatings don't matter? I would have thought them important.
I asked because the op says "made by" and one of the other posters mentioned "technology waits", so, to me the factory and any technology that factory may have seem pertinent.
I know that when discussing lines like Orvis, it's brought up that they are SA tech, and the last time I looked 406 made mention of the SA coating as though that is a thing.
Doesn't matter to me, at this point I'll never fish salt again anyway, but now I'm more curious, how is the taper different than any other triangle other than head length? I find no profile images for any Wulff lines, but I used the TT for a decade or two so I'm aware that at the head transition to running line it is basically the line end, and the head seems to be a simple straight taper from fat to slim.

original cormorant

Reaction score
The plastic formulation, micro this&that, line finish, cores and coatings don't matter? I would have thought them important.
The core matters, but TO ME the rest of it is cosmetics and little more than "nice to haves". Every manufacturer want the customer to believe that their technology is better than the rest.

melvynsegal

Reaction score
I’m not crazy about the triangle taper freshwater lines, though I’m impressed by their long belly lines. At the same time, I love the Bermuda tapers I own- a short 6 weight and an 8 weight - for my saltwater fishing. They cast well both short and long… Mel