Wyoming in mid November?

jkim

Reaction score
I'm planing a fishing trip to Wyoming in mid November.
Basically want to fish the Green river - both the upper (BLM5201) and below Fontenelle dam.
Then fish the Snake along the Tetons. My concern is all those public access roads could be closed due to heavy snow.
Am I concerned too much? Are there any other areas around Pinedale and Jackson I can fish in mid November?
Thank you for your input.

Reaction score
There are Wyoming folks on here who can answer this better than I, but Late October last year I was returning from elk hunting in Northwestern Colorado & I got stranded for 24 hours in Baggs, Wyoming because of a blizzard. All the roads in that part of the state were closed and they weren’t great when they finally opened.

Izzy2

Reaction score
It can be hit or miss with the weather. I was up there middle of November last year and it was 60s during the day without a breath of wind but damn cold at night. And it was pitch black by 5pm. Just be flexible on dates and if the weather looks good go for it. Just remember the first mile of river past fontanelle dam is closed to fishing till December 31st

jkim

Reaction score
Thanks for that very important info. I checked the official website and found ... "Green River from Fontenelle Dam downstream approximately
one (1) mile to the U.S. Geological Survey gauge station (cable crossing) at the Weeping Rocks Campground in SweetwatervCounty.
• Closed to fishing from October 1 through December 31. " Probably the spawning season of kokanee salmon

I'm afraid I can't be flexible on dates... just have to keep my fingers crossed. Luckily no particular regulations on fishing the upper Green.

djfan

Reaction score
I have had summer like weather, blizzards, both in one day, and everything in between, not only in November, but in July. It's just hard to tell you what to expect. Have a plan B and C and D.

corn fed fins

Reaction score
I have had summer like weather, blizzards, both in one day, and everything in between, not only in November, but in July. It's just hard to tell you what to expect. Have a plan B and C and D.
Ditto. Just watch the weather. If the storm is a day out the wind will be howling. "Sometimes" the best weather is when the storm has hit. A little straight down snow or rain and who cares but getting water in the face from the wind ripping it off the river is not so fun. Good times though...good times. LOL I can honestly say that Wyoming is the only place where I have been chased of the water while the sun was shinning.

jkim

Reaction score
What's my plan B and plan C? Unfortunately I don't have any. What else can I do in Pinedale when the weather changes quickly and gets nasty? I'm open to suggestions.

djfan

Reaction score
What's my plan B and plan C? Unfortunately I don't have any. What else can I do in Pinedale when the weather changes quickly and gets nasty? I'm open to suggestions.
We buckle in with our loved ones and enjoy time together. It's not a big city mindset, but we like it.

Whitewaterwyo

Reaction score
"What else can I do in Pinedale when the weather changes quickly and gets nasty? " As others posted, weather is a crapshoot. I've seen it shirtsleeve weather and I've had to shovel my roof. Pinedale is about 7200 ft.

Not a lot of options. Skiing won't be open at J. Hole, likely not Targhee. You can bird hunt for forest grouse, deer and elk non resident licenses aren't available.

Not trying to be a smartazz but your options few if the weather turns sour. Or you can get lucky, I've fished Yellowstone occasionally in early November, but that's about the time they close gates and let the roads drift in.

hatidua

Reaction score
I've fished and continue to fish WY pretty much every month of the year. As others have already stated, any given month can have beautiful sunny days and any month can blow/snow you off the river. It's a gamble. Put some sub-zero bags in the car, have the necessary provisions based on worst-case scenario, and go for it. Otherwise, you may miss a fantastic weather window with that much coveted 12" fish everyone brags about!

jkim

Reaction score
Thank you very much for all your nice comments. I'll be traveling with my son who is a pilot in the Navy. He's actually making his PCS (permanent change of station) from a naval air station in the east to another station near Seattle. So we decided to drive cross-country and spend a week in Wyoming since we both love fly fishing the Green. Unfortunately he can't leave the current squadron before the 9th of November and will have to report to his new squadron commander before the Thanksgiving break. Of course i don't want to miss this opportunity of being together and fishing together since he will be deployed to some wide open sea pretty soon. For me it will be about 7500 miles driving from LA to the east coast to the PNW back to LA. Needless to say I really want to make this trip as productive as possible. Now I'm thinking that... instead of spending Pinedale (and Big Piney of course) for a week we may just fish the Green for two days and move to Montana fishing the Beaverhead/Ruby, Missoula area, then Coeur d'Alene Idaho. djfan made a point "We buckle in with our loved ones and enjoy time together. It's not a big city mindset, but we like it. " Thank you.

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
Thank you very much for all your nice comments. I'll be traveling with my son who is a pilot in the Navy. He's actually making his PCS (permanent change of station) from a naval air station in the east to another station near Seattle. So we decided to drive cross-country and spend a week in Wyoming since we both love fly fishing the Green. Unfortunately he can't leave the current squadron before the 9th of November and will have to report to his new squadron commander before the Thanksgiving break. Of course i don't want to miss this opportunity of being together and fishing together since he will be deployed to some wide open sea pretty soon. For me it will be about 7500 miles driving from LA to the east coast to the PNW back to LA. Needless to say I really want to make this trip as productive as possible. Now I'm thinking that... instead of spending Pinedale (and Big Piney of course) for a week we may just fish the Green for two days and move to Montana fishing the Beaverhead/Ruby, Missoula area, then Coeur d'Alene Idaho. djfan made a point "We buckle in with our loved ones and enjoy time together. It's not a big city mindset, but we like it. " Thank you.
Another option that you might consider, especially if you are traveling along I-80 to fish the Green, is to continue on to the Boise area where the South Fork of the Boise River is often at its peak in November and since it is lower in elevation the weather that time of year is often ideal.

Or, given your destination, you could continue right through Idaho and go to the Deschutes in Oregon and fish the Deschutes for trout or steelhead. You might get rained on but you shouldn’t get stuck in any snow drifts. If you made Maupin your base you would have lots of access.

A third option I would consider because of vagaries of western weather in November would be diverting to Yakima which would be right on your way in Washington. That would put you only 2 hours from Seattle so you could fish right up to the day your son needs to report.

As djfan said, Wyoming could be great that time of year. Or it could be in the grips of what feels like the next ice age. You have a ton of good options, but Wyoming (and any Rocky Mountain state for that matter) can become completely unfishable because of snow, ice, wind and temps that late in the year. For example, Laramie is just 19 miles north of the Colorado border, but at 7200 feet. Today we had winds up to 60+ mph even though the temps were reasonable (midl 50s). We have highs below freezing and snow or rain predicted for next week. Who knows what we will really get.

I would keep my options as open as possible when traveling or fishing in the West during November.

Good luck,

Don

djfan

Reaction score
As djfan said, Wyoming could be great that time of year. Or it could be in the grips of what feels like the next ice age. . . . . .
Laramie is just 19 miles north of the Colorado border, but at 7200 feet. Today we had winds up to 60+ mph even though the temps were reasonable (midl 50s). We have highs below freezing and snow or rain predicted for next week. Who knows what we will really get.
No kidding. Today, while hunting elk near Elk Mountain, I was sweating some, so I opened up the jacket, bibs, etc. Ten minutes later I was getting snowed on.

Wyoming isn't for everyone

Last edited:

jkim

Reaction score
Thank you, Don. We'll certainly keep our options wide open. The Deschutes, Yakima, and the south fork of the Boise all sound great. Hopefully though we get our great time in Wyoming. One thing I'm sure 100% is that we're going to drive through Laramie on I-80. Perhaps we'll make a stop for lunch.

djfan

Reaction score
Thank you, Don. We'll certainly keep our options wide open. The Deschutes, Yakima, and the south fork of the Boise all sound great. Hopefully though we get our great time in Wyoming. One thing I'm sure 100% is that we're going to drive through Laramie on I-80. Perhaps we'll make a stop for lunch.

If you do decide to try the waters, hit me up. I live west of that, nearer the North Platte River.

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
If you do decide to try the waters, hit me up. I live west of that, nearer the North Platte River.
DJl is closer to good stream fishing than I am by about 80 miles. Laramie has a wider selection of choices for lunch, but not as many quality fishing choices. I am sure either of us would be glad to help you on your travels.

Don