Wyoming in mid November?

djfan

Reaction score
DJl is closer to good stream fishing than I am by about 80 miles. Laramie has a wider selection of choices for lunch, but not as many quality fishing choices. I am sure either of us would be glad to help you on your travels.

Don

We can team up on the poor guy!

Gotribe

Reaction score
Another option that you might consider, especially if you are traveling along I-80 to fish the Green, is to continue on to the Boise area where the South Fork of the Boise River is often at its peak in November and since it is lower in elevation the weather that time of year is often ideal.

Or, given your destination, you could continue right through Idaho and go to the Deschutes in Oregon and fish the Deschutes for trout or steelhead. You might get rained on but you shouldn’t get stuck in any snow drifts. If you made Maupin your base you would have lots of access.

A third option I would consider because of vagaries of western weather in November would be diverting to Yakima which would be right on your way in Washington. That would put you only 2 hours from Seattle so you could fish right up to the day your son needs to report.

As djfan said, Wyoming could be great that time of year. Or it could be in the grips of what feels like the next ice age. You have a ton of good options, but Wyoming (and any Rocky Mountain state for that matter) can become completely unfishable because of snow, ice, wind and temps that late in the year. For example, Laramie is just 19 miles north of the Colorado border, but at 7200 feet. Today we had winds up to 60+ mph even though the temps were reasonable (midl 50s). We have highs below freezing and snow or rain predicted for next week. Who knows what we will really get.

I would keep my options as open as possible when traveling or fishing in the West during November.

Good luck,

Don
(y)Deschutes(y)

jkim

Reaction score
I don't know how to express my appreciation to you guys for all the helpful information.
Both the North Platte and Firewater Public house are not that far away from I-80. Will definitely try fishing the river and eating at the restaurant.

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
I don't know how to express my appreciation to you guys for all the helpful information.
Both the North Platte and Firewater Public house are not that far away from I-80. Will definitely try fishing the river and eating at the restaurant.
Just a weather update as an example of how things change rapidly in Wyoming. The high today is supposed to be 55. Forecast for Sunday is high of 12 with 3” of snow. Little warmer on Monday. Highs in the upper 40s later next week. Fortunately no high winds in the forecast.

Good luck,

Don

del gue

Reaction score
The first year I went West on vaca was in 1998, end of May-first of June. I got stuck in Pinedale by a summer snowstorm.

Dunno if you or your son have any interest in that kind of thing, but the Museum of the Mountain Man is located in Pinedale. If you have any free time, or the weather is too bad to fish, you might want to visit it. I am assuming it's open that time of year, although I might be wrong.

cpiercem

Reaction score
Enjoy the scenery is about the only option!

If you are headed across 80 you may want to think about dropping down to the North Platte in Saratoga.

I don't know if it will affect the river yet, but I think that the Mullen Fire just burned up some of the upper watershed of the South Platte. If it rains on that it will end up downstream. Hopefully that won't happen, just snow and the mess will be in the spring. You might check with locals.

del gue

Reaction score
It's colder than dogsnot out West right now.

The forecast for Dillon, MT, for Sunday night is -14!!! I'm seriously glad I'm not camping out there in Yellowstone in a tent like I was about a month ago. That would shiver me timbers in a major manner. Yikes!

P.S. Hope it stomps a mudhole in those fires out there.

djfan

Reaction score
It's colder than dogsnot out West right now.

The forecast for Dillon, MT, for Sunday night is -14!!! I'm seriously glad I'm not camping out there in Yellowstone in a tent like I was about a month ago. That would shiver me timbers in a major manner. Yikes!

P.S. Hope it stomps a mudhole in those fires out there.
I'm heading out elk hunting in a moment. Let's hope that cold moves them around.

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
I'm heading out elk hunting in a moment. Let's hope that cold moves them around.
If not. The weather on Sunday and Monday should start moving them a bit lower.

So is this for meat, or are you planning on tying a zillion Elk Hair Caddises?

Good luck.

Don

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
So they have changed the forecast. Today is 51 high temp with some rain. Tomorrow’s high is supposed to be 6 with 6-10 inches of snow. Monday it gets all the way up to 14 but then climbs through the week to get back to 50.

Remember that forecasts in Wyoming are more in the range of wild guesses, but you get the idea of how rapidly things can change. If we get 6-10 inches of snow, i would imagine that many or all parts of I-80 will be closed as much as a day or two.

Time to tie flies and fire up the snowblower.

Don