Wyoming in mid November?

corn fed fins

Reaction score
Yeah. Don't feel too disgusted. I passed on a couple early archery season shots and now I'm making tag soup. I really should have just stuck that cow and been done with it but no. I had visions of sticking a 340-350" bull I had on cam. I didn't have much time in the early season and the SOB went 100% nocturnal after the smoke polers arrived. Typical really.

djfan

Reaction score
Yeah. Don't feel too disgusted. I passed on a couple early archery season shots and now I'm making tag soup. I really should have just stuck that cow and been done with it but no. I had visions of sticking a 340-350" bull I had on cam. I didn't have much time in the early season and the SOB went 100% nocturnal after the smoke polers arrived. Typical really.
I'm jealous of even that. I don't know why the elk gods hate me. This was my 7th year trying. Never harvested, never shot, never notched, etc. It's getting ridiculous. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Everything else, not a problem. Elk, it doesn't happen.

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
DJ, your elk is up there. You guys just haven’t met up yet. This weather should bring them down to more accessible areas assuming you can get out of the house.

We are currently at 6 degrees in Laramie, and it is still snowing. We are probably up to 4 inches, but things are drifting so it is hard to say for sure. And, as I predicted, I-80 is closed to all traffic between Cheyenne and Rawlins.

I only mention the road closure because it might be of interest to the original poster who will be traveling that way in a couple weeks. That seldom happens other places I have lived, but it is just a fact of life in Wyoming.

Stay warm folks.

Don

corn fed fins

Reaction score
I'm jealous of even that. I don't know why the elk gods hate me. This was my 7th year trying. Never harvested, never shot, never notched, etc. It's getting ridiculous. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Everything else, not a problem. Elk, it doesn't happen.
One year without shot opportunity can happen. I have gone a couple years without tagging an animal but that was not from lack of shot opportunity.

Seven years without shot opportunity and I say something is wrong brother. What are the elk numbers in the unit at the time you're hunting? Do you scout? Use trail cams? PM me with your unit. I've done a fair amount of WY elk archery. Maybe you're in an unit I can help with. 7 years.... Yeah brother, something's up.

djfan

Reaction score
One year without shot opportunity can happen. I have gone a couple years without tagging an animal but that was not from lack of shot opportunity.

Seven years without shot opportunity and I say something is wrong brother. What are the elk numbers in the unit at the time you're hunting? Do you scout? Use trail cams? PM me with your unit. I've done a fair amount of WY elk archery. Maybe you're in an unit I can help with. 7 years.... Yeah brother, something's up.
Part of it is I moved twice in that time, so I changed units. I do scout, but this year the area we were looking at was a bust, so we had to rely on friends' scouting. I just got a text from a buddy who scores every year. He's taking me out next Saturday. Here's hoping.

djfan

Reaction score
DJ, your elk is up there. You guys just haven’t met up yet. This weather should bring them down to more accessible areas assuming you can get out of the house.

We are currently at 6 degrees in Laramie, and it is still snowing. We are probably up to 4 inches, but things are drifting so it is hard to say for sure. And, as I predicted, I-80 is closed to all traffic between Cheyenne and Rawlins.

I only mention the road closure because it might be of interest to the original poster who will be traveling that way in a couple weeks. That seldom happens other places I have lived, but it is just a fact of life in Wyoming.

Stay warm folks.

Don

It is there. I'll score some decade.

We got about 6" last night. It's also friggin' cold outside.

corn fed fins

Reaction score
Part of it is I moved twice in that time, so I changed units. I do scout, but this year the area we were looking at was a bust, so we had to rely on friends' scouting. I just got a text from a buddy who scores every year. He's taking me out next Saturday. Here's hoping.
Archery and rifle are two different games. But you know that.

Switching units can be tough. Took me one season to get me used to hunting aspen, ferns, and scrub oak here as opposed to the dark timber I came from. Still though, I missed a shot on a bull. They are the same animal.

You hunt fish. You can go blind cast into a hole and hope to catch a fish but seeing them is like increasing your odds 100x. What if you could see a snap shot of the river bottom at some given time? I highly recommend using trail cams if you can't scout weekly. Get 3 or 4 of those cheapos. Most phones can read the cards so you can download all the images then reset the cam. Get them up 30-40 days before season on water holes and wallows. Check them 10 days prior. They will give you more info than just a picture of what's around. It's a look into their summer movement cycle.

del gue

Reaction score
For those who hunt fish, and for the sake of comparison, here in FL it is 80 degrees, with 87% humidity and a heat index of 85.

The chance of snow is 0%. Allthough I have seen it snow twice in FL in 63 years.

corn fed fins

Reaction score
For those who hunt fish, and for the sake of comparison, here in FL it is 80 degrees, with 87% humidity and a heat index of 85.

The chance of snow is 0%. Allthough I have seen it snow twice in FL in 63 years.
I like the seasons but I'm not a big fan of snow. That's why I live where I do. Very little snow here but drive just a bit and it can get deep fast. One day I'll head your way and stick an Osceola.

djfan

Reaction score

Here is was -17 this morning. The great part about that is that it keeps people away. I hope you and your 56,872,018,289 friends enjoy the weather down there. I'll sit here in a very large county with only 15k people total. To each their own, I guess.

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
Here is was -17 this morning. The great part about that is that it keeps people away. I hope you and your 56,872,018,289 friends enjoy the weather down there. I'll sit here in a very large county with only 15k people total. To each their own, I guess.
Just be glad that pronghorns don’t vote. Otherwise you would be heavily outnumbered in Carbon County.

Don

corn fed fins

Reaction score
-17....Damn. For me anything below 20 just feels the same unless the wind is blowing. Been 10 years since I've seen that kind of low. -21 is the coldest I've seen here. When the valley inverts though, we may not see 32 for weeks and that just sucks. I pray for a good breeze only on two occasions; high mountain lake fishing and when the valley gets a temp inversion.

You know it's cold when tailwater feels warm. Lol

jzim

Reaction score
Man, that's January cold, not late October.