Yak Minnow

CWFlies

Reaction score
Really happy i found out about yak hair. These yak minnows have been killing on the beach for both snook and tarpon and even managed a redfish on them. Its a stiff hair which helps keep the fly from fouling but once we it becomes softer and has great movement to it in the water. Sheds water so it stays light and easy to cast. Definitely going to be incorporating it into more patterns. Only thing you need to look out for is getting natural yak hair vs synthetic yak. The synthetic yak doesn't get soft like the natural so it has less movement.

CWFlies

Reaction score
No it won't float. The yak hair just won't hold water much like synthetics won't hold water. This means I can make these flies bigger and they can still remain light and easy to cast even after being in the water.

lacivic99

Reaction score
How do you like it compared to EP fiber? I really like EP for flies less than 2 or 3 inches, but I'm finding I dont like tying long EP flies. The action isn't the same and they can suck to cast. Nice looking flies man, do you use purple/black on the beach?

CWFlies

Reaction score
I much prefer the yak hair to EP. Great movement, doesn't foul, doesn't knot up, doesn't hold water. Whats not to like. I can tie these smaller if I wanted too but I find the 4.5" range is good for both tarpon and snook.

Yes I fish purple and black on the beach. I mostly throw it in the dark before first light but I also throw it when the anchovies are super thick midday in super clear water. I have also been having luck with the chartreuse/natural and aqua/natural color combos. I haven't found natural yak hair in white yet and I refuse to use the synthetic anymore because it just isn't nearly as good.

Reaction score
For larger flies I have found Yak to be superior to the synthetics. A little stiffer than synthetics but less color selection. Only way to know is buy a pack of white Yak and try it out. Color the top with markers and your set. Have fun

LOC

Reaction score
Meanwhile on the East Cape of Baja that fly material hits the water daily...
Good stuff you found out well that material works for larger bait fish patterns!

CWFlies

Reaction score
Ya it isn't a new material to the world of fly fishing just new to me as one of our local shops for some in to try out. I'm sure the guys in Baja love it.

The UV2 brand has a nice selection of colors and all the hairs are cut even. Forgotten coast has softer hair for more movement but its uneven and harder to work with. No one has white yak in natural hair that i have seen. Only white yak is the synthetic yak which i don't like.

Reactions: LOC

LOC

Reaction score
Ya it isn't a new material to the world of fly fishing just new to me as one of our local shops for some in to try out. I'm sure the guys in Baja love it.

The UV2 brand has a nice selection of colors and all the hairs are cut even. Forgotten coast has softer hair for more movement but its uneven and harder to work with. No one has white yak in natural hair that i have seen. Only white yak is the synthetic yak which i don't like.
Bummer about the natural. It's the base color on non color you want to build upon.

Reaction score
Two good synthetic fibers that are very much like Yak are FC fibers from Forgotten coast fly company in Apalachicola , FL. This synthetic even feels like Yak, https://forgottencoastflycompany.com/ and Captain Ian Devlin, who makes his own custom fiber mixes and they are incredible. Find him on Facebook. Have used both fibers and use nothing else at present for flies longer than 5-6 inches.

CWFlies

Reaction score
Forgotten coast is who i get my natural yak from.

White would be nice but natural colored yak which is like a cream color seems to work well. I haven't noticed any fish turning off it. We as anglers invest more into certain colors than I think the fish do.

Reaction score

White would be nice but natural colored yak which is like a cream color seems to work well. I haven't noticed any fish turning off it. We as anglers invest more into certain colors than I think the fish do.
So true. I think we tie more for ourselves than for the fish. Try their synthetic fibers. Great colors and textures

LOC

Reaction score

Oops, what I think of as natural is not the white but the clear fiber. I have never tied on the white.
Here's a basic blue water fly I tie on Yak hair, EP and synth.

sardinefly0035 1.jpg