years ago while in the army

alfaromeo

Reaction score
i was stationed in upstate new york ( i was a sgt ) i was packing my fly rod and vest into my car. i was in street clothes.. and i heard a voice, hey sgt. you fly fish?. i turn around there before me was a 2 star genenal.. i was in street clothes so no need to salute.. but yes sir and no sir, were my answers.. he asked me where i was from, i said s. california, sir.. he said he was raised in this area, and know all the good streams to go to,, he told me a couple nearby.. then asked if i was planning to go next week? yes sir..its summer so great fishing.. so he asked me to make plans to go next week, yes ..sir.. so next week we meet up, i follow him in my car.. got to a nice place suited up, vest, rod, hat, vest... my net is hanging off my vest in the rear.. the net get stuck on a twig.. then it snaps back on me hitting me in the back of the head.. the general turned and laughed.... a few weeks later we went fly fishing again.. guess what happends? the same thing, his net got snagged by a branch, and get hit by his net...... he turns to me and looks at me.. and said.. was that funny sgt?......i said..no sir..... he smiled at me and said.. i thought it was.... great guy

hunter1

Reaction score
Love the story. We forget that these professional career soldiers had a past life.

okaloosa

Reaction score
I have had at least a dozen retired air force generals ( and a few army generals)from one star to full bird generals as patients over 30 years working within a few miles of multiple air force and army bases and I can tell you not one of them ever introduced themselves or addressed themselves as "general" but I always referred to them as such. The retired old school generals are typically very laid back with a great sense of humor...For the most part they have proven themselves where it counts....

ddb

Reaction score
Back in the mid 60s I was in training as an entry level intel civilian. During an advanced segment of the year long course, an old guy -- mid 40s -- joined us. Other than his age he fit in w/o any particular sign of special rank, experience etc. We thought nothing of it as guys from the field often joined in for refresher training and as much needed relief from intense work stresses. Years later we learned that he was an Army General slated for a command in the special ops area and wanted to get a feel for that aspect of his future assignment. He sure could 'live his cover" as we never even guessed his real status.