Yellowstone Backcountry - Trip Partner

Mhardin

Reaction score
Hi all, excited to be part of the forum!

I am planning a backcountry trip up to Yellowstone (live in Utah) in late October. I do a lot of back country fishing and recently lost my fishing partner to a move. I do a lot of hiking and fishing alone, but prefer to fish with a buddy.

I am looking for someone (or a few) interested in coming along for a 4-5 day trip I've got planned, would love to make some new friends and potentially plan future trips. I need someone who is in shape, can move fast and handle long hikes. Also someone who is fine with cold and miserable conditions for multiple days.

If anyone is interested let me know!

Mhardin

Reaction score
That's pretty late for higher elevations in the park. Have you been there before?
Thanks for the concern, this will be my first
time to Yellowstone in late fall but I've been fishing backcountry all over the US and Alaska year round for 10 years and am familiar with the risks, comfortable with winter camping, etc. Beyond that I'm looking at spots that are well know for October/November fishing.

LandoLando

Reaction score
I’m also from Utah, Salt Lake City (sugarhouse to be specific). I’d be happy to join you for a trip, but I can’t swing that one. A few friends of mine and myself like to do late fall winter trips into Wyoming and Idaho and have had pretty good success with catching some pretty big rainbows. PM me and we can chat more.

Reaction score
My wife and I returned back to Bozeman from 3 days of fishing in the Lamar Valley last night. We drove through snow in Ice Box Canyon yesterday morning.

lookard

Reaction score
Yeah I remember how cold it got. And how good the fishing was in spite of the freezing air temps. I would have gone this year if not for covid and the added travel hassle of getting there. My buddy is most likely still going. He does winter camping and has all the gear for it. I'll reach out to him to see if he is interested.

jzim

Reaction score
I give you a lot of credit asking for someone to go with you on a trip without any knowledge of you or the person who would go with you. I can't imagine going on a trip to remote area without knowing the person, but that's me. So much could go wrong. Nothing worse than taking a trip to a remote spot and find out the person you are going with is a drunk or dope head, or worse yet a real a$$.

I mean no disrespect.

Caveat emptor.