Yellowstone NP do it yourself trip

wthorpe

Reaction score
If fishing on Madison in YNP in the fall don't overlook a 6 wt, and i think some folks even use heavier rods. 1. most fishing is done with big nymphs and streamers. 2. fish can be big, as in many (most?)over 18-20." I think folks are using two-handed rods for this fall Madison run-up fishing some; i am not familiar with exactly how and where they do it. I would typically for myself use a 5 or 6 wt single handed rod.

One last point: If you like secluded fishing this ain't your place. It can get quite crowded.

darkshadow

Reaction score
One last point: If you like secluded fishing this ain't your place. It can get quite crowded.
I must have lucked out, because I've been in West Yellowstone area in the first week of October (and twice in late September) and while there were anglers near the parking areas on the major rivers, it seemed that 1/2 a mile walk upstream or downstream gave you all the solitude you wanted. Sometimes even less.

I've never fished the park/near the park during 'peak' season, so it may be the main reason I've always found seclusion on my trips. I remember pulling up to the parking lot for the Grand Prismatic in October and walking downstream the 100 yards to the fishable areas, and not seeing one angler. I had more photographers taking pictures of me than I saw anglers.

NotDriftless

Reaction score
I must have lucked out, because I've been in West Yellowstone area in the first week of October (and twice in late September) and while there were anglers near the parking areas on the major rivers, it seemed that 1/2 a mile walk upstream or downstream gave you all the solitude you wanted. Sometimes even less.

I've never fished the park/near the park during 'peak' season, so it may be the main reason I've always found seclusion on my trips. I remember pulling up to the parking lot for the Grand Prismatic in October and walking downstream the 100 yards to the fishable areas, and not seeing one angler. I had more photographers taking pictures of me than I saw anglers.
Sounds like wonderful outings, the type of outings I want to experience!

darkshadow

Reaction score
Sounds like wonderful outings, the type of outings I want to experience!
I think you chose a great time to visit. I hear after Labor Day, crowds tend to thin out.

Are you planning on doing any sightseeing or are you strictly fishing? During that first week of October, it's like rolling the dice. The first October i visited, the rainbows were not running yet. The last October? There had been some snowfall a week before and they were invading the Madison from the lake.

I did few trip reports if you wanna check them out:

NotDriftless

Reaction score
I think you chose a great time to visit. I hear after Labor Day, crowds tend to thin out.

Are you planning on doing any sightseeing or are you strictly fishing? During that first week of October, it's like rolling the dice. The first October i visited, the rainbows were not running yet. The last October? There had been some snowfall a week before and they were invading the Madison from the lake.

I did few trip reports if you wanna check them out:

Hello Dark Shadow!

Thank you for your post. It was a delight to read (and look at the photos) your YNP stories. I'm excited to get out there (it's going to be a long summer). We will be staying in West Yellowstone hence my preference for fishing the west side of the Park.

All the best.

darkshadow

Reaction score
Hello Dark Shadow!

Thank you for your post. It was a delight to read (and look at the photos) your YNP stories. I'm excited to get out there (it's going to be a long summer). We will be staying in West Yellowstone hence my preference for fishing the west side of the Park.

All the best.
West Yellowstone is a solid choice. I split my time there and cabins in Silver Gate on the North East end of the park.

There are so many opportunities on the west side of the park. You'll be close to the Firehole which should be fishing well in October.

But don't discount the opportunities on the Northeast end of the park. You'll have Slough Creek, the Lamar, Soda Butte.

So many opportunities in the park.

NotDriftless

Reaction score
West Yellowstone is a solid choice. I split my time there and cabins in Silver Gate on the North East end of the park.

There are so many opportunities on the west side of the park. You'll be close to the Firehole which should be fishing well in October.

But don't discount the opportunities on the Northeast end of the park. You'll have Slough Creek, the Lamar, Soda Butte.

So many opportunities in the park.
So many places to fish, so little time in which to do it!

Longs for Cutts

Reaction score
In terms of fisherman density on the water, rather than cars on the road, the two weeks after Labor Day are the most crowded period in YNP. A lot of the small water is too low and cold and virtually all the side channels on larger rivers are too low, so everyone is packed into a few places. Anymore the crowds don't even start to decline until it snows, and anywhere with fall browns is crowded through October.

salmo7000

Reaction score
In terms of fisherman density on the water, rather than cars on the road, the two weeks after Labor Day are the most crowded period in YNP. A lot of the small water is too low and cold and virtually all the side channels on larger rivers are too low, so everyone is packed into a few places. Anymore the crowds don't even start to decline until it snows, and anywhere with fall browns is crowded through October.
I am seriously hoping with the COVID19 crisis increasingly looking like it's in the rear view mirror, kids will need to be back in school in-person, people will be getting back to work at their normal job sites, and the mass migration into this area I personally witnessed last summer and fall will be less.

That said, I still have to agree with this post. For whatever reason, the 2 weeks after Labor Day are widely believed to be the best time to fish Yellowstone NP and surrounding areas. If you go then, do so with low expectations for solitude on the rivers you want to fish, you will not be alone. Unless you really know the area well enough to find the lesser known spots.