Your name on the rod

jeep.ster

jeepster
Reaction score
I'd rather include measuring points for sizing purposes. Name or no name means little to the fish but they all want to know how big they are. I used to scribe my name on all my tools and it helped with job site loss/theft, a rod is just a tool so having it marked doesn't bother me and none of mine would be collector quality after I'm done with them. They will look used.
On the other hand, if it was meant to be a wall hanger that might be passed down or sold to a collector I can see that a name detracts from value, once in a while an otherwise nice rod sells cheap on the auction because of an owner's name being on it. That wouldn't matter to me either, if I was buying it to use.
I like measurement indicators too. My split cane have thread wraps at 16,18,20" measurements. Fish under 16" don't need to be known.

redietz

Reaction score
As far as resale value, I hardly ever sell a rod, once since the early 70's.
Same here, but I'm at the point in life where I now consider how my tackle will be disposed of once I'm gone. My son fly fishes, but has no interest in cane whatsoever. Why make it hard for himto sell?

tcorfey

Reaction score
I don't have my name on the rods I built or the rods I had built for me but I do have a label on the rod case that says who built it and whom it was built for along with the date received.

Regards,

Tim C.

jayr

Reaction score
In all of my years of fly fishing (+40) I have never had anyone look (or ask to see) at my fly rod up close enough to see what, if anything, was written on it.

Put whatever you want on it.

mikew1959

Reaction score
If you wanted your name on your rod and was worried about resale value You can always lay down a couple coats of water-based poly Inscribe your name put a couple more coats of water-based poly on it then later it can be easily removed.

Lewis Chessman

Reaction score
I think that the first thing I'd do is look-see how good my builder's calligraphy is. ;)
I have horrible handwriting and putting inscriptions on blanks neatly is probably a bigger challenge as anything else. Writing on a thin, varnished tube really isn't easy even if you have a good hand. I've tried fine pens, gold and white, but curved letters catch and cut through the varnish, so I've abandoned them. I'm currently writing on transparent decal paper, sealing with clear enamel spray, then applying. Here's one I did today on a rod I'm building for my brother's 60th. I'll whip the ends when dry, then varnish:

1-P1030363.JPG

There's an old Winston video on YouTube which shows a lady writing on their rods. It really is an art.

But that's not the point, is it? Would my bro want his name on the rod? I don't know, but it does make it unique and personal which is my wish.
Btw, he's a Master of Wine, not fly fishing! :baby:

I have four old rods with others' names on them. I subsequently corresponded with one past owner about his rod's origins and I met the friend of another whilst just 'talking rods' in a tackle shop one day. Two down, two to go. ;) I really don't mind old names on rods. It's part of their history and doesn't put me off buying if the rod underneath is worth it. Sometimes it can even enhance it.

JoJer

Reaction score
Two of the rods I fish the most I personalized with the high bases of a 16 and 20 Ga, shot gun shell when I couldn't get replacements from the maker. One of those, the one with the most hours on it is MY rod. I own no other tool that feels so natural and so perfectly responsive with out having to work at it. It's fun just to cast it, fishing it is doubly so. I could have put my name on those bases but it never occurred to me. Still my rod.

dennyk

Reaction score
As far as resale value goes, back in my traditional archery days finding a bow with someone's name on it was a turn off to most folks looking for a good used custom bow. Yes it did hurt the resale.

Denny

huronfly

Reaction score
I've never considered putting my own name on the rod for a few reasons already mentioned. I have given a couple of them nicknames, like my 10wt aka "Meat Stick" and a switch rod aka "The Swinger".

springcreek

Reaction score
I've built rods for nearly 20 years now and really only have gotten a few requests to put an individuals name on the rod. Most of the time when it happens the rod is a gift and not for personal use. Adding an individuals name to a contemporary rod will likely diminish it's value in the resale market if that is a concern. When a customer requests a name I have the conversation regarding the long term objectives of the rod. One thing that I have found is that when I suggest a rivers name as a way to personalize a rod, most people will do that. I have often signed rods "Madison River Special" as an example. This gives the rod a connection to an individuals favorite fishing destination which personalizes it, but doesn't seem to take away from the value in any way. More often than not when others view a rod marked this way, they view it as a special build by the maker and not something that was individualized for the original owner.

Jim

geordie41

Reaction score
If I buy a vintage rod I really don’t mind buying one with someone else’s name on it, for me it adds to the history and character.
If you want your name on your rod go for it !

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
I am currently having a rod built that will have the nickname my grandpa gave me as a child. I don't care about future collectability or price only what the rod means to me.

gnarl78

Reaction score
My grandfather had mine put on the Orvis Madison bamboo rod I received for graduation over 40 years ago. I also inherited my father’s beautiful Battenkill rod. Both of these gentlemen have long since passed, and those rods bring back fond memories when I fish them. They are very special to me.

LePetomane

Reaction score
I can take it or leave it. Three of my five cane rods have my name on them. It's your rod, do with it as you like. Would I buy a rod on the secondary market with someone's name on it? That depends. Probably not.

original cormorant

Reaction score
I'd rather include measuring points for sizing purposes. Name or no name means little to the fish but they all want to know how big they are..
Interesting point - several of my rods have tape on them every two inches that I put on them years ago, and a rod I built myself also has measuring marks on it. Seems to be an idea that has never really caught on. I'm ambivalent about it until I catch a bigger fish when I think just how big is that, and then I have a measure.