Your name on the rod

Jmq4

Reaction score
As a gift, yes, probably have the recipient's name or at least their initials inscribed. For me personally, no, I wouldn't have my name put on it.

flytie09

Reaction score
I wouldn’t but that’s me. If you’d like to do so...,, have at it. It seems presumptuous to me. I wouldn’t worry about the resale value. Years down the road it might actually help to put a name to the rod. Actually a good thing.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I need to photograph my two Orvis rods and post the very nicely done script on them. They are mine, they were mine the moment I ordered them and I never planned on selling either one. Look at things this way maybe, if you ever get so down and out that you need to sell your custom made bamboo rods there are two things for sure. One is nothing really matters and the second is a fact, you will take a beating on the price because it is a forced sale.

My rods were made to order for me but name or no name I know that I would have a snowballs chance in hell of getting a fair price for them. I could list them for sale at $300 each and someone would contact me to ask if I'd take $250. Everyone is looking for a killer deal, admit it! Anyone reading this wants their rods under full retail and if the rod is pre owned you want to dicker on price. Someone someday doesn't want my rods because they have my name on them that's fine with me. I'll be dead.

One thing's for sure, if someone ever walked off with one of my expensive bamboo rods and tried to pawn it I could find it without having to match the serial numbers, my drivers license would do.

Bambooflyguy

Reaction score
Since I don’t sell my bamboo....mine says, “Hotrodz of Burien” I know where they came from......and there’s some out there!

Reactions: Ard

H2OK9

Reaction score
This is definitely a personal choice. I have made several dozen rods (not bamboo) over time: most for myself, one to sell, and a few for gifts. I put the names on the gift rods. Not because it was asked for but because I value the people I made them for and want them to know I care about them. The one I sold did not have a name because that wasn't requested. I am proud of what I make and put my mark "H2OK9" on my personal rods because I like to mark my stuff as mine. As noted in a prior post, measurement points are a valuable addition and are always included. The rods I produce are for fishing, not resale, so post value doesn't enter the equation.

Last edited:

Isolation Outfitters

Global Fly Fishers
Reaction score
Interesting range of opinions. I'm about to get a rod with optional name inscription. I definitely wouldn't put my name on it, but was thinking of adding 'New Zealand' given that's where I intend using it (my home country) and where it was designed to be used. This inscription personalises it for me but IMO doesn't diminish its saleability if I don't want to keep it forever.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Not for sale :)

Only regret there was that traditionally Orvis labeled the Flea's all as #4 rods. That particular rod labors under a 4 weight line and other than a test I've always used a DT3 on it. Wish it had a 3 on the wood. A true surgical instrument there. BTW Ron was the rod shop manager and did his apprentice work for Wes Jordan, he knew wood rods.

The six bears only my script. I haven't used that nearly as much as the Flea but it still gets a whirl now and then for trout & grayling.

I've had them going on 30 years now and when I die if no one wants them because they have my name on them (which could be removed) that's their problem.

The 8 foot #6 rod had the script made by a computer then was printed onto the decal with the rod weight. The Flea was more personal with Ron hand writing the words.