Your name on the rod

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Emil, long time no post buddy :)

I have 2 that were made to order for me by Ron White at Orvis long ago. The first I had him scribe my name to the butt and the second he put mine and his. If you want your name on it then have your name put there. My rods are mine and if anyone thinks they are worth less because I had them personalized that's cool with me.

It's your first custom cane buddy so get what you want.

Reactions: spm

thomasw

Floating Fly Aficionado
Reaction score
No. Because in my view it gives an impression of having an excessive sense of self-importance. Since I would not want to give such an impression, I would avoid doing such things...

That said, about 23 years ago a friend of mine gave me a spey rod and he had my name put on it. He meant well, and because it was a gift, I have kept it there out of sense of honoring a friendship but not because I would put it there etc....

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
Unless I were famous, no. It would probably lessen the value of the rod when my heirs have to sell it.
I'd also say no for the quoted reason. Also, my tastes/preferences in rods have certainly changed over time, I might end up wanting to sell it myself. But I also agree with Ard--get what YOU want! Good luck.

quattro

Reaction score
so I'll disagree with the no's. But it depends. My mother gave my father a hardy smuggler for their 20th wedding anniversary - it was customized to include his name and the date of their 20th. He passed away recently and I now treasure that rod. I also treasure a cane rod with my grand fathers name etched on it.

The family with cherish it more if it has your name on it. If you will sell it in 3-5 years then don't. in 20 when you pass it on the value will be minuscule except to those who you've built memories on the water with and fro them the name will add value.

just my 2 cents and your milage may very.
-j

scotty macfly

Reaction score
I had two bamboo rods made for me, and I can have anything inscribed on them for free. I didn't have my name written on them and will never have that done.

But what I did do to make those rods more personal to me was have something unique added to them. I am a first born generation person, my Grandparents moved here to the USA from Scotland in 1960, then my parents crossed the pond in 1965, three months later I was born. My ties with Scotland are strong and personal to me. So what I did with these rods was to have my Tartan Colors, the colors of my kilt, added in front of the handle on my rods. Plus my Clan has always been strong in Christianity and music, so between the cork and Tartan Colors, I had a cross put on, and on the side a Bible verse.
20200104-195043.jpg

These rods are mine. My grandfather only fished with cane rods, so I got a cane rod. The Tartan Colors represent my family and the area from Scotland where they were from. So this all is very personal things to me. In fact, my first cane rod I had inscribed " In memory of Grandpa", since he got me into this sport. May he rest in peace.

The next cane rod, which I am having made soon will also have my colors, a cross, but something special on the butt cap. My Clan Badge.
1fae80afaf3eef463420451811e1a95d.jpg

Sorry the photo's are so big. Couldn't figure out how to make them smaller.

Last edited:

moucheur2003

Reaction score
So here's a question, for you, Scotty: If you came across one with my clan badge instead of yours on it, would you pay less for it?

full_badge-MacDonald_of_Clanranald1.jpg

(The correct answer is that it doesn't matter; we Scots always try to pay less for everything. ;) )

scotty macfly

Reaction score
So here's a question, for you, Scotty: If you came across one with my clan badge instead of yours on it, would you pay less for it?

View attachment 20759

(The correct answer is that it doesn't matter; we Scots always try to pay less for everything. ;) )
With my friends in Scotland and Ireland, that seems to be the thing, LOL. I don't haggle. I was taught to pay what is asked, and if I don't have enough for it, save till I do, or forget it.

redietz

Reaction score
in 20 when you pass it on the value will be minuscule except to those who you've built memories on the water with and fro them the name will add value.
That may be true for plastic rods, but not necessarily for cane.

And BTW, just because I wouldn't put my name on a rod I'm having built for me doesn't mean that I find having a bit of provenance off-putting on when I'm buying a rod. However, there's been enough discussion of the subject over on the classic fly rod forum that I also know many people don't feel that way, and it will make the rod harder to sell.

dennyk

Reaction score
Never really thought about it! Anyhow the poor feller would get writer's cramp writing out my name--Dennis James Krupiczewicz. I could always change my name to Scott, I've got a few rods with that name already on them. :)

Denny

rockriver

Reaction score
I had my name put on my first Sweetgrass rod. I need to decide on the next 2 that I'm on the build list for. As far as resale value, I hardly ever sell a rod, once since the early 70's.

jeep.ster

jeepster
Reaction score
I have a hand made split cane fly rod named after me and I love it. I even engraved the rod tube cap. Also have my name on a split cane bodkin. I think if you're that concerned about resale value maybe you should leave your nameless fly rods at home. I won't show mine in respect to you naysayers but here's the cap.

I recently saw my buddies winston 90th anniversary legacy rod and his name is on it. Built to complete a series they all go to family. Someone will always cherish that particular fly rod with his name. It looks awesome. I will say winston needs serious help with a good looking rod tube cap. The scribbling on those is terrible.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I have rods with both my or my father's name on them
I don't find that at all attractive and rods that I've built for myself have no text at all

My fishing partner has custom decals that he applies to the cane rods that he builds from scratch
Like this

trev

Reaction score
I'd rather include measuring points for sizing purposes. Name or no name means little to the fish but they all want to know how big they are. I used to scribe my name on all my tools and it helped with job site loss/theft, a rod is just a tool so having it marked doesn't bother me and none of mine would be collector quality after I'm done with them. They will look used.
On the other hand, if it was meant to be a wall hanger that might be passed down or sold to a collector I can see that a name detracts from value, once in a while an otherwise nice rod sells cheap on the auction because of an owner's name being on it. That wouldn't matter to me either, if I was buying it to use.

photoguy

Reaction score
Well, not my name exactly, but I did have my son's name put on an Orvis rod that was a gift to him for college graduation. It made it even a little more special to him that the rod had been customized and I suspect that he'll have it forever and that seeing the moniker will always remind him of the occasion.