Yukon/Alaska Summer of 2021 Adventure

cdnred

Reaction score
I've been thru the Yukon and Alaska on an extended trip back in 2018 but didn't spend any time fishing (big regret). I'm thinking about heading back in the summer of 2021 (?) once this COVID gets under control that'll allow freer travel. I'm a 70 year old Canadian with time on my hands so I'm open as far as time is concerned. I've got a 17ft self contained travel trailer, (2) Honda generators for power, one man Sea Eagle inflatable with a 2.5 hp motor and tons of fishing gear. I'd prefer to find a nice secluded (full hookup..?) campground, not sure of the likelihood that'll happen..? I'd prefer to hire a guide for a day or two to flesh out the area until I got my bearings down. I'd be open to either going to the Yukon or Alaska and I'd be looking at salmon, steelhead and trout fishing. Have others been thru this before that can give me some ideas, pointers or suggestions of places to go, guides to hookup with, campgrounds, this will be more of a DIY type trip..? I've posted here as well as in the Pacific, Canada section..

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi,

I believe I did send a reply to you about conditions here. It has been a very long time since I fished in the Yukon Territory but when I did I found the Grayling and Dolly fishing to be far better than what I find here. I've always suspected this was caused by all the people hurrying up the highway to get to Alaska where the fishing was rumored to be really good. Between population density near the road system and over fishing I cannot give the area round my home a five star rating any longer. There are still fish but one must work for them and when we speak of salmon fishing one must work in the midst of many other anglers.

I have long thought that the Kluane National Park and points north from it were among the most beautiful landscapes I've ever seen and I've been around a bit. Even in the 1980's and early 2000's there were way fewer people fishing that area compared to here. If you came all the way here to South Central I would be able to recommend many a lake that go largely untouched. If you are a good still water fisherman you could have a ball with trout and the occasional grayling.

2019 in my area saw the worst drought in recorded history and I had zero clients for fishing trips. The primary reason was that there was not enough water in the rivers for use of boats. Then came the year 2020 and you know what transpired over the past ten months......... I'm not sure I will be in the business in 2021 but will be around as an advisor if that helps.

cdnred

Reaction score
Hi,

I believe I did send a reply to you about conditions here. It has been a very long time since I fished in the Yukon Territory but when I did I found the Grayling and Dolly fishing to be far better than what I find here. I've always suspected this was caused by all the people hurrying up the highway to get to Alaska where the fishing was rumored to be really good. Between population density near the road system and over fishing I cannot give the area round my home a five star rating any longer. There are still fish but one must work for them and when we speak of salmon fishing one must work in the midst of many other anglers.

I have long thought that the Kluane National Park and points north from it were among the most beautiful landscapes I've ever seen and I've been around a bit. Even in the 1980's and early 2000's there were way fewer people fishing that area compared to here. If you came all the way here to South Central I would be able to recommend many a lake that go largely untouched. If you are a good still water fisherman you could have a ball with trout and the occasional grayling.

2019 in my area saw the worst drought in recorded history and I had zero clients for fishing trips. The primary reason was that there was not enough water in the rivers for use of boats. Then came the year 2020 and you know what transpired over the past ten months......... I'm not sure I will be in the business in 2021 but will be around as an advisor if that helps.
I had sent you a pm about fishing in Alaska earlier but didn't receive a reply, I just assumed you were busy. Sorry to hear of the poor conditions with the draught and now with this COVID, but that's beyond our control. Hopefully this COVID will be brought under control so we can resume life as before and the salmon runs will return. Thanks for the tips, much appreciated.. ;)