Zoom Bauer

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Yes their press release went out today, looks too wide for my applications.
1605806213836.png

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
I'll stick with my Rogues. Price (yikes!) and looks (still debating what I think) aside, I don't get the specs. I actually like the weight of the 4/5 (4.9 oz) as I think the Rogues and especially the RXs were a bit too light, but the backing capacity is WF5+50. So if you want to fish a DT5 you'd get what, maybe 25 yards? Now granted it's pretty rare (for me at least) to be taken into the backing on a 5 wt, but still seems an awfully small capacity and basically forces one to fish a WF5. Of course one could always choose the next size up, but personally I think hanging a nearly 4" reel from a 5 wt looks pretty clunky.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
While it is true that Jon Bauer came from an auto racing background and wheels influenced some of his design features like the star drag knob, these new Bauer's employ an unrelated new designer.

trout trekker

Reaction score
Western Portal Sequoia National Forest, Kern River
Kidding aside, I actually like the look. Most of what I fish today are heavily skeletonized, but it took some time for me to take a liking to them. Just as years ago when one of our reps walked in to our shop with another of a long line of new California made fly reels, the first Bauers clashed with my idea of what a reel should look like and where a drag knob should be located. Yet, I now have a working collection of CA & OR built Bauers in excess of two dozen.

osseous

Reaction score
I saw them in Denver last January- beautiful... but north of $750?!? Insanity

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

ryc72

Reaction score
love the sst and rx reels that i have. think the rvr models are beautiful reels. played with them at the edison show last year. the price is eye popping though. with any luck will be able to add a used one for my trout spey in the near future.

hatidua

Reaction score
Every new highly skeletonized reel that is released onto the market likely has a few other manufacturers (the usual suspects that need not be named) sitting at their conference table saying "yeah?, -well hold my beer and watch this!", after which we get yet another reel that looks more like a CAD drawing of an Italian supercar than a fishing reel.

I'm going to go yell at clouds now...

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
While you are yelling at the clouds, point out to them that aesthetics and fine machining aside, ASPECT RATIOS must work to produce capacity and intuitive uniform retrieval relative to balancing weight. Once that imperative is met the cloud can look anyway it wants.

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
The more I look at it the more I like it--I'm talking just looks, not specs/aspect ratios--but I am having a really hard time imagining one on a Winston.

taylorreels

Trade Member
Reaction score
As a designer I like the design. I usually don’t comment on other companies products, but it is a different looking reel for sure. The machining is beautiful and complicated. I am guessing it requires a ton of machine time and a 6 axis CNC. I’m guessing the price reflects the machine time, 6 axis work, and duel anodizing.

czando

Reaction score
Used to be a big fan of Bauer tells but agree with the comments above, reel looks very wide with little capacity

Personally I wish they would go back to the old M2 design specs and simply increase the arbor size

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk