The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

The Juke Box Rock on! or whatever music you think the forum should hear.

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 03-17-2017, 07:07 PM

wls is a jewel in the roughwls is a jewel in the roughwls is a jewel in the rough
Smile Big Bands

I was born in 1943 and grew up listening to the end of the big band era. I saw the Glen Miller and Tommy Dorsey Bands in the 50's. Todays music can't compare. Jackie Gleason's Music for Lovers albums,OMG. I have to admit that the great American song book albums by Rod Stewart are great.
I also like old country, Haggard , Cash, Nelson, Williams Sr., Jones.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:53 PM

Lewis Chessman has a spectacular aura aboutLewis Chessman has a spectacular aura aboutLewis Chessman has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Big Bands

I can't say I'm an afficionado but, yes, great music. Benny Goodman's 'Sing, Sing, Sing' still has immense power regardless of any nostalgia. Those drum start and you're hearing the birth of rock, then the sexiness starts with the horns .... and the rest of the band kicks in. How could you help but get up and dance?
And then that clarinet, sweet & sublime ,,,,,, and we're back to the earthy drums. It's an extraordinary piece, still.

Then there's Artie Shaw's 'Frenesi', full of optimism or The Andrew's Sisters' sparkling, 'Hold Tight'. That always makes me grin. And just some songs - 'My Blue Heaven' or 'Shine On Harvest Moon', for instance ...... I must have six different covers of that - Oliver Hardy's being my favourite.

Glad you got to see your heroes, wls. The memories still warm you, I'm sure.
(Born in '62, btw, Good music will always be Good Music.)
Old 03-18-2017, 06:42 AM
Big Bands

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

My mother was a big band fan and that kinda rubbed off on me.
In the day I was fortunate enough to have seen The Count Basie Orchestra, Woody Herman's Thundering Herd, front row for The Buddy Rich Big Band.
Probably a few others as well... Duke Ellington Orchestra (w/o Duke), Sun Ra Arkestra

Last edited by Rip Tide; 03-18-2017 at 08:21 AM.
Old 03-18-2017, 01:30 PM

JoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant future

My 30 YO son was a WWII reenactor so we've got lots of the big band stuff from that era around here (since he's of that era, the CD's stay behind after he downloads it to his phone).
I had a short jazz appreciation for a while, I pretty much was done with that when I was recording an album, had to start over, and realized I couldn't tell one song from the other.
But... I have an album called "Jazz Gala Concert" ( Jan 18 thru 23, '76, W. Germany) on the Atlantic label that I really like. Lots of big names and it rocks.
Also love the big bands behind Sinatra, and the rest of the Rat Pack.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privilege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey