Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Kayak or Pontoon?

Quote Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
    I own a canoe and kayak outfitting business on the side and I think that qualifies me to say a word or two. All of the comments posted have been good but I would add a few things.

A used 9' kayak for $400 is either over-priced or a high performance white water boat and you don't want either of them. I suggest taking a pic of the kayak and or the pontoon and let us have a .

You can even get the make and model number and we will look it up and see if the boat will work.

Dave
    Hi, the kayak is a Malibu Mini-X. Nothing special, comes with seat and paddle....thats it. Here in SoCal prices are a little higher (even for used gear) than other parts of the country. I found two other kayaks that are 11' and 12' on craigslist for $500.00 ( no seat or paddles)
    I am not in a hurry since I could use it pretty much year 'round. I just keep looking...and waiting...for the right deal.

---------- Post added at 06:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:33 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by driftaway View Post
    What is the make and model of the pontoon boat? How old is it? Can you use electric motors where you lake fish? if so many pontoon boats can accommodate electric motors. As a site sponsor you can pm me with any questions you may have regarding pontoons.
    Hi, the pontoon boat is a Fish Cat 9 1-R. Looks used on the photos and has a hard folding seat, paddles...and that's it...$390.00.

Kngfhearts

I looked up the kayak and my opinion is not to buy it. The boat will track very well for a 9' 3" kayak and will feel stable when you sit in it, but this design that feels steady with little rocking will also tip over very quickly without warning...as in reaching to one side to release a fish. It will probably be uncomfortable to sit in for long periods also.

Keep an eye out for Old Town kayaks, their sit-inside boats are very comfortable and the openings are large enough to allow you to fall out with no problems if you flip. Also with a sit inside boat you have better protection from losing your stuff.

I weigh 250lbs and fish out of a 9' 6" otter with no problems (lots of practice) but a 12 footer would be much better.

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

Blog Entries

If you do add an electric motor you may have to register your craft as a boat, in CA anyways. milt.
    "Thomas Jeff..." Senator Reisman (Sam Shepard) Swordfish

Here's what LLBean is pushing now; and I'm seriously looking / thinking about one for the lakes/ponds around here. Now that I'm "streamless" but "pondfull", things are looking different to me.

Manatee Deluxe Angler Kayak Package: Kayak Packages at L.L.Bean

Pocono

Quote Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
    Here's what LLBean is pushing now; and I'm seriously looking / thinking about one for the lakes/ponds around here. Now that I'm "streamless" but "pondfull", things are looking different to me.

Manatee Deluxe Angler Kayak Package: Kayak Packages at L.L.Bean

Pocono
    That is a good looking kayak Allen. I am starting to search for a sea anchor to use with my kayak. It is such a drag (pun intended) trying to hold a good drift if there is any wind blowing.

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

Quote Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
    That is a good looking kayak Allen. I am starting to search for a sea anchor to use with my kayak. It is such a drag (pun intended) trying to hold a good drift if there is any wind blowing.

Dave
    You can't beat Bean's warranty; if it's defective or if it ever breaks, you get a new one - free!

Pocono

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12