Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
  1. Default Fly fishing from in a sit-in kayak?

I spin casted/bait fished all the time from my sit-in kayak without any real issue. I started fly fishing this past summer and love it. I don't think I'm ever going back to spincasting or baitcasting.

Anyone ever use a fly rod from inside a sit-in kayak? thoughts?

Default Re: Fly fishing from in a sit-in kayak?

Every weekend

Headed to the river now will give some detail later today.

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

Sure! I fished out of the older style Dagger Blackwater before buying a Native Ultimate. Regardless of the type of kayak, I just make sure that I reserve a space in front of me for line and try to remember to keep my backcast up high off the water. I think a longer fly rod will help w/ this, but other forum members have paid more attention to the latter issue, so will let them provide additional info.

4. Default Re: Fly fishing from in a sit-in kayak?

Thanks guys. Can't wait to try it out.

Here in the northeast, a lot of guys use sit-ins to fish the salt.
    You're more protected from the elements.
    I've been out in my 20 year old Perception in seas where the waves were up over my head. I'm not sure that I'd feel safe doing that on a sit-on-top.

---------- Post added at 03:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:12 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDun View Post
    I just make sure that I reserve a space in front of me for line and try to remember to keep my backcast up high off the water. I think a longer fly rod will help w/ this, but other forum members have paid more attention to the latter issue, so will let them provide additional info.
    I find that a shorter rod is better for "fighting" and landing fish. Just make sure the rod is long enough to keep the line from getting hung up on the bow or stern.

I've had big fish "rest" right below my seat when fishing with a 9' rod. I couldn't budge them. I'd move the boat enough to get better leverage and they'd head right back to where the pressure was the lightest.
    When landing a large fish, a longer rod is more likely to snap from a "high stick". You need to angle the rod tip way out to keep it from doubling over, making it easier for the fish to escape capture.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

6. Default Re: Fly fishing from in a sit-in kayak?

Not from a sit-in but I used to do it frequently from a canoe until I bought my Native U12. It's even better from it! I use shorter glass rods.
    Ike - Shooting Starr's Commander GSP