saltwater kayak angler thread

swirlchaser

Reaction score
Great idea!

I fish a Talon 12, if I'm flyroding I sit on a foam pad an throw my legs over the sides. Only stand in very calm water because I'm too lazy to use outriggers.
Milk crate and other assorted **** when I'm not fly fishing.

swirlchaser

Reaction score
I know but if my yak becomes anymore work to get into the water I'll just buy another boat. I had a set of pontoons and I gave them away because I hated transporting them, dragging them to the beach and assembling them. Then undoing it all. They sat in my garage for two seasons before I finally decided to give them to a friend.

ditz

Reaction score
I prefer low hassle fishing. Last winter I tried fishing the NSB inshore area with no water craft but I found it extremely limited. I am getting older and not sure I want to be tied to the effort that is required to load a yak onto rooftop racks. This leaves me with the thought of a trailer. If I go to a trailer I would think that a Gheenoe with a motor would be more versatile because of the distances that one can attain. Oh the decisions that must be made. :sweatingb

aglohm4

Reaction score
Just picked up a Malibu Two XL for fishing/recreation. Should be perfect for paddling around loaded up with gear or cruising with my lady and German Shepherd pup we just adopted. I have to agree with ditz, though - that thing is a beast to put on the roof. And when my Sentra comes at you with that yacht strapped to the roof... well... the brakes are good, I promise... Crazy as it sounds, we were about to launch in the harbor the other night, and this guy comes up flabbergasted because he has the same little car, and just bought the same kayak, but never would have believed he could tow it until he saw our engineering phenomenon.

fishingfly

Reaction score
I like the Wilderness Tarpon Series 120-160. I have found that they are stable enough to handle Off-Shore beach launching and handle well enough to handle backwaters.

livelli

Reaction score
I bought my Future Beach Angler 160DLX a few years ago and I honestly can't remember what fishing was like before it. I admit, it is a pain to lug a 70lb+ boat onto the car, off of the car, to the water, then out of the water, to the car, onto the car (cue the hurt shoulder), then off the car at home. But it's definitely worth it. I have yet to fly fish from it, as I just yesterday completed my first rod/reel setup. One benefit (among many) that I see with transitioning into fly fishing from a yak is that with bass fishing I was lamenting earmarking some funds for a fishfinder. That's kinda a moot point when fishing in waters 2ft deep.

swirlchaser

Reaction score
The fishfinder definately makes a difference unless your sight fishing. I avoided the purchase for the first 2 years but broke down and spent the money last year and I'm glad I did.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a good thread Robert!

And of course all of you are making it great with your posts. I agree, you did a splendid job of bringing the trailer back, nice work.

We were just talking about getting sea kayaks for fishing and general recreation use at places like Whittier, Valdez, and Resurrection Bay. The plan is to rent and have some training next year down at Seward and then decide whether to buy and what to buy.

Great thread here,

Ard

swirlchaser

Reaction score
This is a good thread Robert!

And of course all of you are making it great with your posts. I agree, you did a splendid job of bringing the trailer back, nice work.

We were just talking about getting sea kayaks for fishing and general recreation use at places like Whittier, Valdez, and Resurrection Bay. The plan is to rent and have some training next year down at Seward and then decide whether to buy and what to buy.

Great thread here,

Ard
Ard,
Renting kayaks has gotten very popular here in the NE. Out here they rent top notch gear. The market for used Hobies is so hot that many of these places become Hobie dealers, buy them at wholesale, rent them the entire season and sell them at $600-800 below MSRP the following season. They buy a new fleet every year.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
That's a good idea Marco, below is a picture of what started me thinking of this again. We often talk of doing it but are also pretty busy with all the other things we're into. I believe next year is the year we take it from the bucket list and do it.

ditz

Reaction score
cockatouche ....looks like you did a fine job on the trailer and it is a good idea. I doubt that I will have the tools required to handle such a product while in FL. Fishing Yaks are few and far between up here. It is good to hear from another 'mature' fisherman about this issue. I am guessing that the trailer is the way to go. .... I still need to decide on yak or noe.:thumbsupu

gatortransplant

Reaction score
If you hook a tarpon in a kayak you're going for a ride. I hooked (and eventually landed) a good-sized tarpon a few years back in my buddy's skiff. It towed us several miles. Imagine being in a far lighter, smaller kayak.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Also had anyone hooked into a tarpon on a kayak?
There's a guy out on Cape Cod who's pretty successful at catching blue fin tuna out of his kayak. They're larger and much faster than a tarpon and the while there's the danger of being pulled out to sea, what would be worse would be if the fish sounded and you and your kayak were pulled under.

gatortransplant

Reaction score
Yeah cutting your line is a much less expensive decision on a spinning rod, but if it's a matter of life or death, I don't mind buying a new life and tying on a new fly! When the tarpon go deep when hooked, there's rarely more than 20ft of depth for them to go to in my area, so the kayak isn't going for a dive! Bluefin, that sounds like a rush!