Help with kayak choices

motownphilly

Reaction score
I am trying to convince my wife that I should get a kayak to fish in the few areas of Pennsylvania that I want to fish but have a hard time without a boat. Three factors make this difficult:
1. Cost
2. Transportation
3. My bad back

I have been thinking I could buy a $3-400 kayak, fish out of it and see what I think. This would be something that would not be extravagant but get the job done. If I can figure out how to make this happen, we are discussing putting it on the roof of her Forester (I need to get crossbars) but she is worried about both me beating up her car and my bad back.

Any thoughts on lightweight yaks or sot vs sit in?

Matt4.0

Reaction score
Tons of information out there on fishing yaks and like anything else on the Internet....as many opinions as you want. Definitely buy used! A kayak will lose +/- 50% of its value after it's been on the water a couple times. Good news is once that initial depreciation is over-with, they hold their value pretty well. I bought and sold 3 different used kayaks when I still lived in Texas...broke even on all three reselling combined.

From your price range I'm hoping you are planning used already. Even at that, if want a true "fishing kayak", it might be a bit low. Of course everything varies depending on time/location/etc, but a solid fishing kayak with a good setup will normally run at least $500-$600. They can go up exponentially from there, but that range would get you a good used SOT yak with a couple rod holders and accessories most likely.

In regards to transportation, that IMO is the worst part of owning a kayak. If you have an SUV, your choices are roof-top or trailer. I did roof-top prior, and could transport 2 (for the wife and I) at the same time....we went to the lake 1 mile away and that was a PITA. Unless you get a small kayak (10'-ish), it will be a hassle getting them on and off the roof top. We're thinking about picking up a couple more next spring/summer since we just moved near a lake again, if we do I will definitely go the trailer route this time. (And I don't even have back problems).

As far as the actual yak, again like fly rods everyone's needs and opinions are different. Loved my Malibu 15 footer for fishing but it was slow. As with any boat everything is a trade off. Longer/wider=more stable, more storage, more fishing positions, but slower. More narrow kayaks are mush faster, but you lose the these benefits.

Hombre06

Reaction score
Have you looked into inflatable kayaks? that would help with the transportation and back but cost can run high. They also take time to set up but they can get you around in the water. Also maybe a one-man canoe, used, made out of royalex.

fr8dog

Reaction score
Since it's winter, you have time to do some research and ask around. Any clubs nearby? They would be your best source and somebody might let you try out some models. A few of the colleges around here have clubs that give lessons.

One thing to consider. If you have back problems, sitting in, paddling, and fishing from a kayak uses muscles in a way that is quite different from even a canoe. Twisting, balancing, etc. Falling off happens. A few short trips on calm water with a buddy would let you get a feel for it, while ensuring your safety. It may take a few trips to get comfortable. I'm not trying to discourage you, just want to make sure you stay safe. It's a fun and relaxing way to fish.

Lots of different models and seat styles. Look into them and you'll find a good one. Good luck and have fun.

dakotakid

Reaction score
The better fishing kayaks have much more comfortable seats, which might be real important if you have a back issue. I own a Native Slayer, which has a very comfortable seat, but will be difficult to find used in your price range.

I'm 60 years old and know that I'm not going to get any stronger. To be able to be able to easily transport my kayak on a crossover (Nissan Murano) and enjoy it for a long time, I bit the bullet and bought the Thule Slipstream 887XT carrier.
https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/prod...anoe-carriers/thule-slipstream-887xt-_-196658

I found the carrier on sale, but it was still expensive. However, because you can extend the rollers back beyond the end of the vehicle, I only have to lift half the kayak at a time. My kayak fortunately has a wheel on the back, so I set that on the roller and then pick up the other end to push it on. Without this kind of carrier, I'd quickly either develop a bad back or give up kayaking.

My kayak is a sot. Huge advantage to sot kayaks is that they won't sink unless you punch a hole in them, which is pretty hard to do. They also are easier to get in and out of to wade.
Sit-on-Top verse Sit-in Kayaks

Problem with all this is the cost. My kayak was over $1,100, the carrier was over $250, add some rod holders, and you really start spending some money. Hopefully you will have better luck finding deals on used equipment than I did.

herchammer

Reaction score
motownphilly, check out yakangler.com if you haven't already. Like this site, it is populated by passionate outdoor enthusiasts, some of whom use fly fishing gear from their kayaks. I've lurked there for some time now, and like here, it's choc full of info.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

tcorfey

Reaction score
You have some great information already but I would recommend that before you jump in to kayaking that you make a list of your criteria first.

Physical criteria would be how much do you weigh and how much does your gear weigh. (This determines what kayaks in what lengths are available to you), For example most ten foot kayaks have a weight capacity of around 200-250 lbs. If your going to carry more weight you need a larger kayak.

Kayaks vary in weight so how much can you comfortably lift? The more expensive kayaks are usually but not always lighter.

You need to know what's important to you and rank the importance for example
Some of the priorities I consider by order of importance are:

1. Overall weight of kayak.
2. Speed through the water (I don't want a slow barge)
3. Good tracking ability.
4. Comfortable seat
5. Stability (I do not want to reach for a snag or a fish and feel like I am going to flip).
6. Ability to fish some class 1 maybe class II water.
7. Ability to stand

Tracking is the ability of the boat to go where you point it without having to constantly make adjustments to your course. When you get better tracking you do give up some maneuverability so it is a trade off but if you are not weaving around boulders then tracking makes the journey more enjoyable.

Sea kayaks and those designed to go fast are in the range of 24" - 26" wide. As you go wider you slow the boat down but you gain stability (less likely to tip) the widest kayaks are 34" - 36". Most fishing kayaks are 28" to 34" wide. The wider ones you can stand up on.

Perception makes some good angler kayaks at low prices.
I really like the Eddyline kayaks as they are very light but they are pricey.
Wilderness systems makes some good ones the Tarpon is widely recommended.
Hobie makes a peddle kayak to keep your hands free but it is quite expensive and heavy.

Besides kayaks you might also consider one man pontoon boats, They are very stable and very lightweight. Besides they can be deflated to fit inside of the car. Look at the frame type and the frameless type.

Small 10' jon boat or pram. These are great for one person weigh less than 100 lbs and most are very stable.

Small Canoe - a compromise between a kayak and a boat.

Full disclosure: I have been boating for over 50 years and I still can't decide on one type of water craft. I currently own a 17' powerboat, a ten foot pram, a one-man pontoon, a 15' canoe and a 12' kayak. Depending on where I am going (and who is going with me) I choose the boat I want to use. I do find that I take my pontoon boat most of the time as I can use it just about anywhere and it packs away easily.

Good luck and let us know how your search goes.

stevbre

Reaction score
Here's one other item to factor into the analysis....shuttle logistics. If most of your fishing is going to be on small rivers and streams in Pennsylvania, you have to deal with either car drops after put in or shuttles back after take out. Not sure what the situation may be in Penn., but here in Missouri most all of the outfitters on our streams have gone to charging the equivalent of a full day canoe/kayak rental price ($30 -$40) for a shuttle /car drop service. Just one more thing to consider.

fq13

Reaction score
Two things to consider if you have a bad back. First you can (and should) get a set of wheels that strap to the end of your canoe/kayak and let's you push it to the water like a wheel barrow. Secondly Hobie makes a very nice fishing oriented pedal drive kayak. They ain't cheap but they are sweet. Also some of the cheaper models are set up to take a rear mounted trolling motor, less exercise, but less back strain. Good luck.

whalensdad

Reaction score
Before you spend anything on a kayak, try fishing from one a few times. I went the whole kayak route before i discovered that fishing from one is not as easy as it seems. You sit lower to the water, you have to deal with the swinging of the yak when your trying to cast to a certain spot, etc. I'm not knocking them, just that it pays to know what you are getting into first.

al_a

Reaction score
I second the advice above to try fishing from one a few times before buying, if possible. Especially fly fishing...it isn't easy to do from a kayak. Most anglers aren't used to casting while sitting, especially sitting as low as you do in a typical kayak, and even though many of the fishing kayaks are billed as being stable enough to stand and fish, it still takes good balance and experience standing and fly casting. Plus, there are always things laying around in the kayak (like the paddle or an extra rod or your fly pack or whatever) that are just waiting to entangle your fly line.

Kayaks are also somewhat awkward to handle to lift up onto vehicle roof, much more so than canoes, the gunwales of which make good gripping handles. Couple that with the fact that most of the fishing type kayaks weight 50-75 pounds, and you have a recipe for back trouble. You'll probably wish to spend the money on a good rack system, wheels for the yak, or maybe a small trailer if you have a vehicle that can handle a trailer.

I own a whole pile of different boats for river fishing...6 solo canoes, two tandem canoes, two kayaks, a one person raft, a jetboat, and a big raft. And I've paddled and fished from pontoon craft, small johnboats, and driftboats besides all those. There is no one boat that will shine in every situation. All are compromises. The best personal fly fishing craft, in my opinion, is a small one person raft like a Water Master that you can handle with swim fins or with the attached oars. It only weighs 30 some odd pounds, fits into the bed of a pickup, and is a joy to fish from once you get used to fly casting while sitting fairly low to the water. But it isn't the best choice for running smaller streams with lots of very shallow riffles...and it's expensive.

silver creek

Reaction score
Free Kindle book for today that will help you decide:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Kayak-Fishing-Made-Easy-Practical-ebook/dp/B00B90KFPU/"]Amazon.com: Kayak Fishing Made Easy: A Practical Sea Angler's Guide for Catching Your Favorite Big Fish from a Kayak (Kayaking) eBook: Scott Parsons: Kindle Store@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Lm8DaMjCL.@@AMEPARAM@@51Lm8DaMjCL[/ame]

slob4u

Reaction score
You've asked a question on a forum with many answers. A lot of those will be personal preference. I have been kayak fishing for years & what works for me, might not work for you. Kayakangler.com might have some answers for you. I'm a member there as well & great information is available there. I can say you will want a sit-on-top kayak if you're primarily going to use it for fishing & recessed rod holders(a very helpful commodity). Kayak fishing & kayak fly fishing is fun & doesn't take long to get used too. It can seem a little un-orthodoxed on the fly cast from a kayak at first, but time on the water & practice goes a long way.
You'll get some pointers here, but there's specific things you're looking for & that might not get answered here. You're going to have to do some searching, trying kayaks out to get what you want. Try out a kayak or 2 if you can.
Good luck,

From a kayak angler

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I've been kayak fishing for a good long time now. I own 2 and have fished out of a bunch of others
One thing that I rarely see mentioned is that they're hard to carry. They don't balance well.
I also have a 16' fiberglass canoe that close to 50 years old and 80 pounds and that's easier for me than my 12' plastic sit-in kayak.
I can just bounce it off my knees and up onto my shoulders and I'm good to go.
I've had a lot of practice with this, but it's the balance rather than the weight.

scorpion1971

Reaction score
As other have said try before you buy. It will be best if you can actually try it for the whole day instead of a quick trip. My local fly shop that sells kayaks have models you can rent for a day. For fly fishing, I recommend not buying an angler model. Sure they already have rod holders and a few other items but they are suited for spinning and baitcasters. Plus they tangle fly lines.

motownphilly

Reaction score
I think that is the ticket. I will have to try a few out and see. I had hoped to pick something up during the winter but can wait it out. :frown:

---------- Post added at 08:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 PM ----------

If anyone here is local and wants to give me one... I won't cry :D

spameggsandrice

Reaction score
You can also buy a really inexpensive trailer from Harbor Freight and do a little customizing to make it a kayak hauler. It's a lot easier than trying to put it on top of a vehicle. That's what I do.