Kayak and a dog

casjoker

Reaction score
I am pretty sure through research I have answered my question but wanted to double check I didn't miss any options.

I want a kayak or canoe (my guess is it will have to be a canoe) that I can use to fish rivers like the Caney Fork, Clinch, South Holston or Watauga that can handle myself and an 85lbs Chesapeake Bay Retriever. Possibly for some double duty duck hunting in flooded timber. I have looked at the Old Town Predator XL and the bigger 2 people Jackson. I would also like to put a trolling motor on it.

As cool as the kayaks are I think I may have to stick with a 14' canoe because of the higher sides although stability seems better in the kayaks vs canoe because of the hull design.

I have lots of experience fly fishing and hunting out of multiple canoes, zero in a kayak.

karstopo

Reaction score
The WS Commander might be perfect for what you are looking for. I have the 14' model but I don't think Wildy makes the 14' one anymore. They still make the 12' version. I stand and fly cast pretty much all the time I'm in it. I paddle standing up much of the time as well. It's like standing on the shore it's so stable. Your feet are actually below the water line and that's one reason for the extra stability.

I used to put my son in it and he weighed more than your dog. Seems like the load out was 450 or 475 pounds. It has slightly higher sides than a WS Tarpon and with the lack of a raised deck like a Sit on top design, there is plenty of cockpit to stash guns, blind materials, decoys, etc. I took mine duck hunting and its great for that. What it has over a Canoe is stability and performance in windy conditions.

I don't have any idea about a troll motor.

For fly fishing, I couldn't come up with a better designed kayak. I can't think of anything I would add to the design or take away. 8' rods or less fit in the 14 foot model between your feet without extending beyond the bow. You can put a 9' rod there, it's just going to stick out in front. There's nothing on the deck between your feet to snag line other than your feet. I fish barefoot in all but the coldest of weather and that helps to avoid getting the stripped line snagged under a boot or shoe.

I fly fish out of canoes on lakes, but usually kneel in the middle of the canoe to cast and paddle when fishing solo. I can stand and cast, but I feel a little more secure kneeling. I haven't taken a tumble out of the Commander ever in several hundred hours of fly fishing while standing. I can cast just as accurately standing in the kayak as I can from shore and almost as far.

---------- Post added at 11:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 AM ----------

---------- Post added at 11:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 AM ----------

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Not much room to try fishing but one of these will get it done. I've only taken him on a river a few times, depending on the current you can do it, you can always go downstream but when you add the extra 90 pounds it's slow going upstream.

A good wide beam canoe will probably be best for you but one of those kayaks with the flat top / no cockpit would allow a dog to jump off and possibly get back on.

j lee

Reaction score
Not much room to try fishing but one of these will get it done. I've only taken him on a river a few times, depending on the current you can do it, you can always go downstream but when you add the extra 90 pounds it's slow going upstream.

A good wide beam canoe will probably be best for you but one of those kayaks with the flat top / no cockpit would allow a dog to jump off and possibly get back on.
That is so cool. Lost my Shepherd a year ago. God I miss her.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
My condolences James, they are definitely special. Boss has been my constant companion for 12 years now, he goes everywhere with me. I've had sporting dogs ever since I was 20 years of. They were all pointers and they were smart dogs. I had a setter who lived for 16 years 4 months with me and one Pointer who was 14 when he went. So between those 2 alone I logged over 30 years and kept a kennel with others in it as well. This guy, the German Shepherd is special, that's the only way I can describe him. A little too big for riding along in a Mokai but he goes anyway.

Ard

fq13

Reaction score
There is always the Gheenoe if you aren't dealing with white water. It won't handle that as it has a fiber glass hull. It is a square stern canoe with a sort trimaran configuration on the hull bottom. It is incredibly stable, as in stand up on the seat and cast stable. I have a 15'6" model. It weighs in at 1 20 pounds so you can car top it, but a cheap trailer is nice, and yes I am getting old.:eek: It only draws about five inches. it's great with a trolling motor and it goes like a bag out of hell with a six horse outboard. I mount the trolling motor up front. It paddles like a pig, but I use a nine foot kayak paddle from a company called Mohawk and that works ok. It also lets you stand and pole. Plus they are, or were, fairly inexpensive. I would check out their web site.

karstopo

Reaction score
There is always the Gheenoe if you aren't dealing with white water. It won't handle that as it has a fiber glass hull. It is a square stern canoe with a sort trimaran configuration on the hull bottom. It is incredibly stable, as in stand up on the seat and cast stable. I have a 15'6" model. It weighs in at 1 20 pounds so you can car top it, but a cheap trailer is nice, and yes I am getting old.:eek: It only draws about five inches. it's great with a trolling motor and it goes like a bag out of hell with a six horse outboard. I mount the trolling motor up front. It paddles like a pig, but I use a nine foot kayak paddle from a company called Mohawk and that works ok. It also lets you stand and pole. Plus they are, or were, fairly inexpensive. I would check out their web site.
I second this. I fished out of a friends Gheenoe, it was the smallest one and a little cramp for two people, but rock solid stable. It was my first experience at polling and I got the hang of it before too long. It moves along well with the outboard even with two people in it (we were at about the weight limit). The motor gives you a range that a paddle driven kayak can only dream about.

wf0

Reaction score
My wife and I paddled a few yards with our Great Dane (miss her so) in a canoe before we decided it wasn't such a good idea. She wouldn't sit or lie down so we were a little top-heavy.

casjoker

Reaction score
So I tried an old town predator this weekend with the dog. For an 11-month-old he did pretty well sitting still and only jumped off once. Very stable, however, the boat is too small for all the junk I haul for duck hunting. Without the dog, it would be great.

I have had fiberglass in the past and think I am going to stick with a polymer hull this time. Too many rocks in the rivers of East TN where whatever I buy will get some use. I may find a cheaper canoe for fishing and then get something like a Beavertail Stealth 2000 for ducks. Seems like there may be too many compromises to try and find an all in one boat.

fq13

Reaction score
So I tried an old town predator this weekend with the dog. For an 11-month-old he did pretty well sitting still and only jumped off once. Very stable, however, the boat is too small for all the junk I haul for duck hunting. Without the dog, it would be great.

I have had fiberglass in the past and think I am going to stick with a polymer hull this time. Too many rocks in the rivers of East TN where whatever I buy will get some use. I may find a cheaper canoe for fishing and then get something like a Beavertail Stealth 2000 for ducks. Seems like there may be too many compromises to try and find an all in one boat.
True, the only all in one out there is a Lund heavy gauge tunnel hull jon boat. Every thing else is a compromise. It's sad but true.:D

casjoker

Reaction score
LOL, yeah was out in my 12' jon boat this weekend and it works pretty well in most situations. However, not ideal for several of the tail waters I fish and a WMA I want to hunt.

I stumbled across the Native Titan 13.5. Looks pretty close to fitting the bill but 3K for a Kayak is ridiculous.

Walmart has a two seater for $450...[poke]:rolleyes:

j lee

Reaction score
Right or wrong, sometimes my opinion of a person can be at least partially defined by their love or lack of for our canine companions. I've been divorced since 2010 and my current girlfriend of 4 years is a dog lover. I can overlook a lot if someone loves my dog. My first dating experience after my divorce was to a beautiful girl but she didn't care much for my Shepherd, Shelby(my avatar). Didn't date her very long.

I'm looking at kayaks, a Jackson Mayfly and a ATAK 120. Thinking a good size dog should be in with either in fairly stable water. Latest girlfriend also likes kayaking-win/win.

I have had 2 Shepherds. My next dog(once I get over losing Shelby) will be another Shepherd and she/he will be welcome in my kayak anytime.

Cigarsnjeeps

Reaction score
Might look at the Diablo Amigo. Very stable and designed for fly fishing and hunting. A duck blind can be attached.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

casjoker

Reaction score
After a ton of research and visiting a bunch of dealers, I went with the Nucanoe Frontier. I liked the Native Titian but the cost and peddle drive messing up the deck space made me cross it off the list. Same issues with the Hobbie. I liked the Nucanue Pursuit but I have higher weight capacity and more stability in the Frontier. It's perfect for the dog, myself and duck gear (shotgun, 15 decoys, cooler etc). I could take an extra person if needed but it would be very tight.

I ordered the trolling motor kit, layout blind, shotgun holder, extra seat, anchor trolley, found a cool little anchor at REI for $35, and Yak fly rod holder.

I tested it tonight, crazy stable! Had the dog (80lbs) walking the edge going from in front of the seat to back, jumping from the boat for retrieves and pulled him back in from the side. Pulling him back in sucked but wanted to make sure it could be done in the case of an "emergency" need.

For hunting, I will definitely find water shallow enough for me to stand and probably use the kayak for the dog. Have to play around with it some more to figure out the right system.

Maiden fishing voyage for the dog and I will be this weekend on the Caney Fork.

Once I figure out a new hosting site other than photosux...:mad: I will try to post some pics of the set up.

casjoker

Reaction score

First outing with the Nucanue. Very stable! The dog did great, he only jumped out once when not asked. He had a good reason. No joke a 24" plus brown came completely out of the water about 10' away. He couldn't handle it and jumped in after it. I almost did too!
There was plenty of room for him behind my seat. Very stable with both of us standing and me casting with no concerns.

Going to be a great "sneak" boat set up for duck hunting. I can put two people, a dog and gear in it. Pretty tight with two people and a dog. With that kind of load, it would be transportation only. With just the dog and I, we could easily hunt out of it.

roadglideguy

Reaction score
if you put a trolling motor on it ...it no longer is a kayak! lol! Dogs can get sunburn as well so when out on water be careful!