Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

Kayak/SUP Discussion Discuss the use of kayaks and SUP's for fly fishing

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 08-15-2017, 05:36 PM

gpwhitejr will become famous soon enough
Default Re: SOT vs SINK; paddle vs pedal

Thanks, that Heritage Featherlight would be perfect for the little pond where I do most of my fishing.

But I am thinking of getting another SOT for my brother to use on our striper forays in RI, after he rolled my SINK and lost my best spinning reel. Hmmm, maybe another thread is in order...
Old 08-15-2017, 05:40 PM

wee hooker is a glorious beacon of lightwee hooker is a glorious beacon of lightwee hooker is a glorious beacon of lightwee hooker is a glorious beacon of lightwee hooker is a glorious beacon of lightwee hooker is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpwhitejr View Post
Thanks, that Heritage Featherlight would be perfect for the little pond where I do most of my fishing.

But I am thinking of getting another SOT for my brother to use on our striper forays in RI, after he rolled my SINK and lost my best spinning reel. Hmmm, maybe another thread is in order...
Not sure what SINK he rolled but it's just as easy to lose gear off a SOT. ( Some SOT's are not that hard to roll either.) Experience helps here. I've done allot of striper fishing (in RI) out of both a WS Pungo Classic and latter an OT 138. In fact, some 15 years ago I happily launched that Pungo into conditions that I would net even consider fishing these days.
Old 09-01-2017, 09:07 AM

gpwhitejr will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wee hooker View Post
Not sure what SINK he rolled but it's just as easy to lose gear off a SOT. ( Some SOT's are not that hard to roll either.)
Oh, I wasn't implying that he wouldn't have rolled and lost gear in an SOT, just that it would have been easier to get back on. As it was, we had to tow it to shore and dump out most of the water, then bail out the rest.

By the way, I learned recently that Perception has a new pedal-kayak on the market, the Pescador Pilot. At $1799 it is a good bit cheaper than most (if not all) of the other pedal kayaks. That is kind of tempting, though the idea of hoisting a 74 lb (supposedly) kayak onto the roof of my van doesn't fill me with joy (my Tarpon 120 is heavy enough at an advertised 63 lb; I am going to weight it one of these days). Anyone try this new Pilot?
Old 09-01-2017, 08:35 PM

wee hooker is a glorious beacon of lightwee hooker is a glorious beacon of lightwee hooker is a glorious beacon of lightwee hooker is a glorious beacon of lightwee hooker is a glorious beacon of lightwee hooker is a glorious beacon of light

Check over at the New England Kayak Fishing forum. I'm sure somebody there can help with that model.