Rod leash vs float vs self-confidence

How do you protect against rod/reel loss?

• Leash

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Float

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Prayer

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • I am so skillful this isn't a concern

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
I made a bunch of rod leashes (from various DIY sites) but I confess I have never used any of them. I have been lucky, I guess, and haven't lost any tackle. But recently my brother rolled my SINK and lost my best spinning reel, and I wonder if I should reconsider my confidence.

Do you use a leash, or one of those rod float things, or a piece of pool noodle, or some other way of ensuring that you don't lose a rod? Or do you you just take a Darwinistic approach?

boyscout

Reaction score
Never let anyone borrow anything that you don't want to loose! Yes, I have a brother too.

Everything in my boat is tied down except my rod and my paddle. Why? I fish rivers with current and don't want to flip in a rapid with leash, rope, etc. that will get tangled in my legs. That's why I use retractable dog leash for anchor rope. No loose lines.

I should put a float on my rod (many pals do) but I like the aesthetics and traditional look of my fly rod un adorned. I'm going Darwin!

I always have a backup paddle. It has saved 3 trips for friends of mine and I have used it several times to catch up with my main paddle when it slips off the boat in current.

If I was sticking to still water...I might change my mind on this.

Derek

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I have a leash on my paddle but not on my rod, and so far that's been good enough.
Where I fish, losing your rod won't kill you, but losing your paddle might :rolleyes:

denver1911

Reaction score
No vote for me. It really depends. Flat, shallow, clear water? Nothing. Whitewater? Leash tied to a short section of foam noodle. Deep stillwater? Same.

karstopo

Reaction score
I might have used a leash for the paddle a few times in hundreds if not thousands of hours on the water, but never have used one a rod or a float on the rod. I voted "prayer" just because I don't pretend to be so skillful to be immune from losing either. But it hasn't happened yet. I have carried an extra paddle on a few outings and I almost always have an extra rod/reel set up. I typically have an "out" or two should I lose a paddle or rod meaning I won't be in serious trouble should I lose one or the other.

I think some kayaks are more prone to "turtle" unexpectedly. I've seen my good friend capsize in calm water. He's been in kayaks as much as I have. There's just something about the design of his kayak that lends itself to sudden capsizing.

tcorfey

Reaction score
I voted leash. If the rod is in the holder it has a leash on it if it is in my hand than it does not have a leash on it. My leash is about 6" long and just clips on or around the reel foot.

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
Thank you for the comments. It is indeed situational.

I haven't used a paddle leash. I mostly fish in a pond (a popular swimming spot in my town) and if I lose my paddle I can just swim out and get it (or swim to shore). In the salt ponds in RI though I do carry an extra paddle. I also have this one-handed paddle which is quite useful:

Backwater Paddle Company | Serving the Central Florida area | Rockledge, FL | About Us | Hand Paddles

I keep this one on a leash.

I have Scotty rod holders and don't need a leash when not holding the rod (they work great; my son inadvertently tested those for me). When my brother lost a rod he was fishing with it, and in capsizing made the better choice of grabbing the paddle and kayak and letting the rod go. If it had been leashed or had a float on it we would have saved it (it occurred in a tidal current in a salt pond). In that situation the paddle probably should have been leashed (my SINK doesn't have paddle holders, but my Tarpon does).

karstopo

Reaction score
I usually carry 3 full fly fishing set ups with me at any one time on the kayak so a capsize would be pretty hard on my quiver. I can't stand even the idea of a rod float, but I see plenty of them out on the water. Growing up with canoes and flat bottom boats we never had any fancy or extra in those so I think I just relate to accessory free fishing.

I saw somewhere that there is kayak insurance available. You pay whatever it is per month and the kayak and certain contents are insured against loss.

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
I can't stand even the idea of a rod float...
Why is that? I have never used one but they look like a pretty good idea. Do they screw up your casting mechanics? (If it is strictly an aesthetic issue, I don't care at all about aesthetics, I am purely functionally oriented.)

karstopo

Reaction score
Why is that? I have never used one but they look like a pretty good idea. Do they screw up your casting mechanics? (If it is strictly an aesthetic issue, I don't care at all about aesthetics, I am purely functionally oriented.)
I have never tried one, I can't even explain why but I just can't stand the way they look. I sure they are fine for the function and don't have a problem if someone else uses them. Carry on.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk