Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  4
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default Re: What are my choses for inflatables?

I have been thinking about getting an inflatable kayak that I could backpack up to this beautiful mountain lake:

Sterling Pond Trail - Vermont | Maps, 114 Photos, 186 Reviews
    | AllTrails

I came across this thing called Intex Challenger K1:

Intex Challenger K1 Review | Inflatables Guide

I have seen it as low as $55 on Amazon. I figure if I only use it once it is still cheaper than taking my wife out to dinner. (I thought about a float tube, but that pond is icy, so I would need to haul waders or a wetsuit in addition to fins...of course I could put all that stuff in my brother's pack...)

Default Re: What are my choses for inflatables?

Quote Originally Posted by von behr View Post
    Check out the Watermaster Kodiak. I’ve had one for several years, and have used it in both lakes and rivers (it’s rated for class IV rapids). It is ideally suited for fly fishing, and I’ve literally saved a few folks in their tubes when wind has suddenly come up and they got stuck. It will haul everything you need and then some. The quality and durability of the boat and the customer service are awesome. www.bigskyinflatables.com
    I love the Kodiak but unfortunately I didn't find out about them until after I bought the Sea Eagle ss10 which is a fine boat but I hate the floor in this thing .
    Recently I have given some thought about modifying mine to something along the lines of the Kodiak .

I'll second the Water Master Kodiak. Have had one for about 5 years now, and it's seen a lot of miles on the Yellowstone River. I've fished from about every type of solo craft available, and the Kodiak is hands down better than anything else I've fly fished from.

Quote Originally Posted by al_a View Post
    I'll second the Water Master Kodiak. Have had one for about 5 years now, and it's seen a lot of miles on the Yellowstone River. I've fished from about every type of solo craft available, and the Kodiak is hands down better than anything else I've fly fished from.
    Do you mind putting up pictures of how that seat mounts . I'm going to mod my Sea Eagle to that style since I cant sell it and it's worthless to me .
    I thought I'd try and convert it to the Kodiak style . I looked for specs on the Kodiak but I cant find much . Thx.
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by jangles View Post
    Do you mind putting up pictures of how that seat mounts . I'm going to mod my Sea Eagle to that style since I cant sell it and it's worthless to me .
    I thought I'd try and convert it to the Kodiak style . I looked for specs on the Kodiak but I cant find much . Thx.
    Ron
    Don't have any pics showing the seat well, and I'm not where the Kodiak is right now. Basically, there is a rigid platform across the middle of the center opening in the oblong doughnut-shaped raft, about two thirds of the way toward the top of the raft, which puts it at about 8 inches above the water when you're sitting on it. In front of the platform it's open to the water, behind the platform a rubber "floor" fills in the rest of the open space for your cargo. There is a strap, attached to d-rings, that runs across the front end of the open area, that you rest your feet on while rowing to get them and your swim fins up out of the water. They also sell a cushioned, flexible backed seat that attaches to the rigid platform.

If you look at picture 3 of 8 for the Kodiak on the Water Master website I think it gives you the best view of the seat and also the strap across the front for your feet.

Ron
    Don't have any pics showing the seat well, and I'm not where the Kodiak is right now. Basically, there is a rigid platform across the middle of the center opening in the oblong doughnut-shaped raft, about two thirds of the way toward the top of the raft, which puts it at about 8 inches above the water when you're sitting on it. In front of the platform it's open to the water, behind the platform a rubber "floor" fills in the rest of the open space for your cargo. There is a strap, attached to d-rings, that runs across the front end of the open area, that you rest your feet on while rowing to get them and your swim fins up out of the water. They also sell a cushioned, flexible backed seat that attaches to the rigid platform.

If you look at picture 3 of 8 for the Kodiak on the Water Master website I think it gives you the best view of the seat and also the strap across the front for your feet.

7. Thanks jangles thanked for this post

How does the ridged base fit in ? It looks as if it slides into a molding that's built in at the seam or half way mark and the floor is an extension of it ? I'm thinking if I cut my floor out and glue the back 2/3 of it in at the seam or half way mark that would give me storage . Then bend some 1" aluminum tubing to lay over the top from side to side and drop down inside for a seat mount . It's easy enough to glue the d rings for the front strap . Am I missing anything ?

Thx for your help .
    Ron

How does the ridged base fit in ? It looks as if it slides into a molding that's built in at the seam or half way mark and the floor is an extension of it ? I'm thinking if I cut my floor out and glue the back 2/3 of it in at the seam or half way mark that would give me storage . Then bend some 1" aluminum tubing to lay over the top from side to side and drop down inside for a seat mount . It's easy enough to glue the d rings for the front strap . Am I missing anything ?

Thx for your help .
    Ron
    The rigid seat area is glued into that rubber molding, and yes, the floor is an extension of the rigid seat. I think your idea of the aluminum tubing would work well and create much the same type of set-up.

10. Thanks jangles thanked for this post

I think I'll make a model out of pvc to try it first with the boards to the floor out . If the mount works then I'll have the aluminum tubing bent for it , that stuff is pricey . Thanks for your help .

I decided not to ruin the Sea Eagle and bought a new Water Master Kodiak . It will be here Weds.
    Last edited by jangles; 11-06-2018 at 07:38 PM.

13. Likes huronfly liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12