What are my choses for inflatables?

flyfishsick

Reaction score
I have been contemplating getting an inflatable for river fishing for some time now.
I used to have a drift boat but sold it ( what a mistake that was! ) and i'm missing the versatility and the ability to cover water and getaway from the crowds that a boat provides. Looking for something that i can pack into a car trunk and setup at the river and something that tuff that i would not have to worry about puncturing? i have been looking at a Dave Scadden Rampage Lo Pro but have been reading some Not so good things about Scaddens and am leery about getting one now.

So what are my options for a good inflatable river boat? I think my options are Dave Scadden, River Master and Outcast? Am i missing any? What do you like and use and what would you recommend?

Thanks

rangerrich99

Reaction score
Note: I do not own a frameless pontoon.

that said, I've spent some little time in both a Scadden and an Outcast. Both are good boats; they both will put up with any normal type of abuse (dropping from waist-high onto concrete/asphalt/gravel, dragging across same) and probably won't even show any marks. Even on the water, I've run into boulders just beneath the surface without issue. I think the Scaddens will tote more total weight, so if you're a big guy (over 220 lb.) and/or planning on carrying more than a hundred lbs. of gear along, then the Scadden might be more appropriate.

IMO, your choice may come down to either price or available accessories, such as aftermarket oars, gear pockets, and so forth.

Good luck in your search.

mcmac

Reaction score
I have been contemplating getting an inflatable for river fishing for some time now.
I used to have a drift boat but sold it ( what a mistake that was! ) and i'm missing the versatility and the ability to cover water and getaway from the crowds that a boat provides. Looking for something that i can pack into a car trunk and setup at the river and something that tuff that i would not have to worry about puncturing? i have been looking at a Dave Scadden Rampage Lo Pro but have been reading some Not so good things about Scaddens and am leery about getting one now.

So what are my options for a good inflatable river boat? I think my options are Dave Scadden, River Master and Outcast? Am i missing any? What do you like and use and what would you recommend?

Thanks

You may want to consider Catchercraft as well. Its set up well for rivers.

flav

Reaction score
I know guys that have scaddens, and guys with outcasts, and all seem to like their boats. I've heard of many issues with scaddens, too, but it hasn't been anyone I know. I have a friend with a watermaster, and he likes it. I don't like how low you sit in the water, and it's extremely slow, but that could be good if you're casting while floating. If you have a strong upstream wind you'll be hating life.

Personally I use a standard frame pontoon. I break it down and the whole thing fits in my trunk (ford fusion) with room for my fishing gear. It's a bit time consuming at the ramp, but we're talking 15-20 minutes, not an hour.

von behr

Reaction score
Check out the Watermaster Kodiak. I’ve had one for several years, and have used it in both lakes and rivers (it’s rated for class IV rapids). It is ideally suited for fly fishing, and I’ve literally saved a few folks in their tubes when wind has suddenly come up and they got stuck. It will haul everything you need and then some. The quality and durability of the boat and the customer service are awesome. www.bigskyinflatables.com

nickj

Reaction score
How about the Flycraft inflatables? I’m more than a bit attracted to them, for pond use, not rivers. Do any of you have experience with them?

Last edited:

mjkirshner

Reaction score
Check out Sea Eagle. I have their 385fta kayak and had an inflatable SUP (which I exchanged for the kayak). They have a 180-day trial period. Six months to try it, and if you don't like it, send it back for a full refund. You only pay for return shipping.

von behr

Reaction score
A couple of quick add ons about the Watermaster...the entire package fits inside an included backpack dry bag that will easily fit inside a car trunk. It also can be taken by air as checked luggage to any destination (I’ve done this more than once) without incurring excess luggage charges. I waited several years before buying it, weighing the pros and cons of kayaks, pontoons, skiffs, rafts, etc, and trying them all before choosing the Watermaster. They use whitewater-grade PVC in their construction and will send you a free sample of the material upon request. I floated down several miles of the Sandy River in Oregon with my two teenagers last summer. They were in and out of the boat, but we had a blast, and the boat handled the three of us very well.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Lots of great products on the market making for some tough choices. I have a Dave Scadden Rampage, for over six years, its a framelss pontoon and love it, but I have heard some bad stuff about Dave Scadden. It will fold up and fit into one of those oversized rolling luggage carriers for carrying on airplanes, one of their big selling points. My buddy Muzzy has two Outcast pontoons and they have been solid work horses for over four years. I'm pretty sure there are two members here that have Flycraft and I've seen several on the water, they seem like a great boat. Best of luck!!!!

cphubert

Reaction score
I fish canoes and kayaks most of the time and my inflatable boat ownership is limited to a 10' Avon roll up and a Sea Eagle 420 kayak the Avon has not been out of the shed in years (PITA to handle by myself). The 420 is a good all around inflatable that travels well, is safe, easy to handle, but it is a inflatable and will never perform like any of my hard boats. Never tried pontoons or the larger rafts watched a few of the frame pontoons being assembled riverside and lost interest in them, may have been the owners lack of experience.

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
I have been thinking about getting an inflatable kayak that I could backpack up to this beautiful mountain lake:

Sterling Pond Trail - Vermont | Maps, 114 Photos, 186 Reviews
| AllTrails

I came across this thing called Intex Challenger K1:

Intex Challenger K1 Review | Inflatables Guide

I have seen it as low as $55 on Amazon. I figure if I only use it once it is still cheaper than taking my wife out to dinner. (I thought about a float tube, but that pond is icy, so I would need to haul waders or a wetsuit in addition to fins...of course I could put all that stuff in my brother's pack...)

jangles

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Marana ,Hellazonia . Idaho , Utah , Mt , NM and Wy
Check out the Watermaster Kodiak. I’ve had one for several years, and have used it in both lakes and rivers (it’s rated for class IV rapids). It is ideally suited for fly fishing, and I’ve literally saved a few folks in their tubes when wind has suddenly come up and they got stuck. It will haul everything you need and then some. The quality and durability of the boat and the customer service are awesome. www.bigskyinflatables.com
I love the Kodiak but unfortunately I didn't find out about them until after I bought the Sea Eagle ss10 which is a fine boat but I hate the floor in this thing .
Recently I have given some thought about modifying mine to something along the lines of the Kodiak .

al_a

Reaction score
I'll second the Water Master Kodiak. Have had one for about 5 years now, and it's seen a lot of miles on the Yellowstone River. I've fished from about every type of solo craft available, and the Kodiak is hands down better than anything else I've fly fished from.

jangles

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'll second the Water Master Kodiak. Have had one for about 5 years now, and it's seen a lot of miles on the Yellowstone River. I've fished from about every type of solo craft available, and the Kodiak is hands down better than anything else I've fly fished from.
Do you mind putting up pictures of how that seat mounts . I'm going to mod my Sea Eagle to that style since I cant sell it and it's worthless to me .
I thought I'd try and convert it to the Kodiak style . I looked for specs on the Kodiak but I cant find much . Thx.
Ron

al_a

Reaction score
Do you mind putting up pictures of how that seat mounts . I'm going to mod my Sea Eagle to that style since I cant sell it and it's worthless to me .
I thought I'd try and convert it to the Kodiak style . I looked for specs on the Kodiak but I cant find much . Thx.
Ron
Don't have any pics showing the seat well, and I'm not where the Kodiak is right now. Basically, there is a rigid platform across the middle of the center opening in the oblong doughnut-shaped raft, about two thirds of the way toward the top of the raft, which puts it at about 8 inches above the water when you're sitting on it. In front of the platform it's open to the water, behind the platform a rubber "floor" fills in the rest of the open space for your cargo. There is a strap, attached to d-rings, that runs across the front end of the open area, that you rest your feet on while rowing to get them and your swim fins up out of the water. They also sell a cushioned, flexible backed seat that attaches to the rigid platform.

If you look at picture 3 of 8 for the Kodiak on the Water Master website I think it gives you the best view of the seat and also the strap across the front for your feet.

al_a

Reaction score
Ron
Don't have any pics showing the seat well, and I'm not where the Kodiak is right now. Basically, there is a rigid platform across the middle of the center opening in the oblong doughnut-shaped raft, about two thirds of the way toward the top of the raft, which puts it at about 8 inches above the water when you're sitting on it. In front of the platform it's open to the water, behind the platform a rubber "floor" fills in the rest of the open space for your cargo. There is a strap, attached to d-rings, that runs across the front end of the open area, that you rest your feet on while rowing to get them and your swim fins up out of the water. They also sell a cushioned, flexible backed seat that attaches to the rigid platform.

If you look at picture 3 of 8 for the Kodiak on the Water Master website I think it gives you the best view of the seat and also the strap across the front for your feet.

jangles

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
How does the ridged base fit in ? It looks as if it slides into a molding that's built in at the seam or half way mark and the floor is an extension of it ? I'm thinking if I cut my floor out and glue the back 2/3 of it in at the seam or half way mark that would give me storage . Then bend some 1" aluminum tubing to lay over the top from side to side and drop down inside for a seat mount . It's easy enough to glue the d rings for the front strap . Am I missing anything ?

Thx for your help .
Ron

al_a

Reaction score
How does the ridged base fit in ? It looks as if it slides into a molding that's built in at the seam or half way mark and the floor is an extension of it ? I'm thinking if I cut my floor out and glue the back 2/3 of it in at the seam or half way mark that would give me storage . Then bend some 1" aluminum tubing to lay over the top from side to side and drop down inside for a seat mount . It's easy enough to glue the d rings for the front strap . Am I missing anything ?

Thx for your help .
Ron
The rigid seat area is glued into that rubber molding, and yes, the floor is an extension of the rigid seat. I think your idea of the aluminum tubing would work well and create much the same type of set-up.