Sundolphin Sportsman Fishing boat

smoke33

Reaction score
Not sure if this is where I should be posting so forgive me if it’s the wrong place.
Looking to see if anyone has used one of these boats before.
My local Dicks Sporting Goods has one for 50% off. I can get it for $250 plus tax which seems like a steal. Unless it’s junk or not stable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ivory arrow

Reaction score
I can’t say that exact model, but my friend had one when we were teenagers and it was a blast. Very stable. Both of us were probably around 150 lbs, and we were both standing, and leaning on the edge to test the stability.

They are aren’t very mobile though. You really need a trolling motor for them. You will kill yourself paddling.

canoeman1947

Reaction score
For fishing ponds or small lakes that should be great. I notice the seats are not in the boat, does that price include the seats? It should, as the boat with seats is priced at $499.99. As mentioned, you still need a battery and trolling motor; you definitely don't want to try to paddle it.

Larry

nevadanstig

Reaction score
I have a buddy with one, and have fished from it. Its stable, two can stand and fish all day. That being said, I don't think I'd take it out on swift rivers.
Yes, you will want a motor, its not shapely and doesnt glide through the water with paddles very well.
The only complaint I remember him having is the plastic hull is a bit thin and not so durable, so be careful if you're dragging over rocks or beds in real shallow water. I know he's patched it a few times.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk

smoke33

Reaction score
I have a buddy with one, and have fished from it. Its stable, two can stand and fish all day. That being said, I don't think I'd take it out on swift rivers.
Yes, you will want a motor, its not shapely and doesnt glide through the water with paddles very well.
The only complaint I remember him having is the plastic hull is a bit thin and not so durable, so be careful if you're dragging over rocks or beds in real shallow water. I know he's patched it a few times.

What did he use to patch it?

nevadanstig

Reaction score
What did he use to patch it?

Weld rods, like a kayak. Sorry, maybe patch wasn't the best wording.
You can get plastic in roughly the same color, use a heat tool and melt it.

mikechell

Reaction score
I fished from one many years ago. I agree with above statements, with cautions.
1) Do NOT take it into current. It's stable, but uncontrollable, even with a powerful motor, in any noticeable current.
2) "Do NOT overload it", was my friends main complaint. You can fit a tackle box, may two, and a couple of fishing rods in it. Forget a cooler, you'll be tripping over stuff all day.
3) When I say "tripping over stuff" I don't mean walking around/on it. I mean when swinging around in the seat. You don't realize how many things your feet will hang up on until your in a boat ready to fish. Sitting in an empty boat on the show room floor is deceiving.
4) Wear PFD's at all times. They're stable, in that they're hard to tip completely over. But if one person leans over the side to wash their hands, and the other isn't prepared, you can end up overboard in "the wink of an eye".
5) Learn how to scull with a paddle. If you DO need to paddle (I.E. the battery goes dead), sculling the boat from the front is much more productive than trying to paddle from the side like a canoe.
6) Do NOT leave it out in the sun during storage. Like most plastics, sun damage will weaken it more than anything else you do.

Get it! You can't beat the price. You can always use it in small ponds that are otherwise limited access. If you don't like it, you'll definitely get your money back when you resell it.