Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Knoxville, TN/Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    815

    Default Nucanoe FT 12 vs. Jackson Mayfly?

    Looking at these two.

    The primary areas I intend to use this are on shallow flowing rivers here in TN, the Clinch, Holston and French Broad primarily for smallmouth via fly fishing. I will also be using somewhat less for tidal creeks, rivers, etc. near Wilmington, NC.

    I have looked at both and really like the open deck with less chances of getting hung line. The Nucanoe is really stable at 41" in beam. The Mayfly I think is close to 35" wide.

    The differences in price seems to be the gadgets, etc. with the Mayfly about $350 more.

    Has anyone compared the two or own either one?

    My first impression is the wider the better as for stability, standing, etc. Am I on track with that?

    Thanks!
    Mainline the blueline

  2. #2

    Default Re: Nucanoe FT 12 vs. Jackson Mayfly?

    Jayr,

    I don't have either, but I'll point out a few things to consider. My comments are based on ownership of a 12 foot Native Slayer for four years and fishing often 2-3 times a week in both saltwater and freshwater.

    If this is your first kayak, how do you plan to haul it to and from home? If you will be loading it onto an SUV, keep in mind that after a long day of fishing, these things feel real heavy and awkward to handle for loading onto a vehicle. So lighter is definitely beneficial.

    Wider kayaks are more stable for standing up. Six inches wider is a significant difference for stability. However, I used to stand up in my 30.5" wide Native Slayer, but as my fly casting ability has improved, I don't find the need anymore. Guess I'm saying you may not need to stand up as much as you think, but it's a nice option to have.

    I am fairly certain that a wider kayak will be slower. That's just one of the trade-offs you will have to make in choosing the best kayak for you. So is better stability worth more than speed? The deck on both kayaks are definitely open enough to fly fish from. I do it all the time from my Native Slayer, so it won't be a problem for either of your two choices. Last, but not least, if you can, paddle both options before you buy.

    Good luck!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    West Palm Beach, Florida
    Posts
    662

    Default Re: Nucanoe FT 12 vs. Jackson Mayfly?

    Quote Originally Posted by jayr View Post
    The primary areas I intend to use this are on shallow flowing rivers here in TN, the Clinch, Holston and French Broad primarily for smallmouth via fly fishing.
    Does anyone know which French broad that river was named for? Just curious...

  4. Likes shaunsquid liked this post
  5. #4
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Knoxville, TN/Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    815

    Default Re: Nucanoe FT 12 vs. Jackson Mayfly?

    Quote Originally Posted by mjkirshner View Post
    Does anyone know which French broad that river was named for? Just curious...

    French Broad River Facts - RiverLink
    Mainline the blueline

  6. #5
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Knoxville, TN/Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    815

    Default Re: Nucanoe FT 12 vs. Jackson Mayfly?

    Quote Originally Posted by dakotakid View Post
    Jayr,

    I don't have either, but I'll point out a few things to consider. My comments are based on ownership of a 12 foot Native Slayer for four years and fishing often 2-3 times a week in both saltwater and freshwater.

    If this is your first kayak, how do you plan to haul it to and from home? If you will be loading it onto an SUV, keep in mind that after a long day of fishing, these things feel real heavy and awkward to handle for loading onto a vehicle. So lighter is definitely beneficial.

    Wider kayaks are more stable for standing up. Six inches wider is a significant difference for stability. However, I used to stand up in my 30.5" wide Native Slayer, but as my fly casting ability has improved, I don't find the need anymore. Guess I'm saying you may not need to stand up as much as you think, but it's a nice option to have.

    I am fairly certain that a wider kayak will be slower. That's just one of the trade-offs you will have to make in choosing the best kayak for you. So is better stability worth more than speed? The deck on both kayaks are definitely open enough to fly fish from. I do it all the time from my Native Slayer, so it won't be a problem for either of your two choices. Last, but not least, if you can, paddle both options before you buy.

    Good luck!

    As for hauling, for right now it will be in my work truck, a Dodge 1500 pickup. Eventually I would like to get a small boat trailer.

    As for speed. Most of the rivers I will be using it on there is current. I really don't see the need to have a speedy kayak, at least that's what I'm thinking. What I feel is more important is stability.

    I am only scheduled to be in Wilmington for a few months, so the saltwater aspect is really pretty short.

    Thanks for the input!
    Mainline the blueline

  7. #6

    Default Re: Nucanoe FT 12 vs. Jackson Mayfly?

    I looked at those as well as the Diablo Amigo and ended up with the Amigo mainly because I liked the simplicity and the cost was less. I was able to add the accessories I wanted (needed) and if I remember correctly the Amigo weighed less. The Amigo was also very stable and I was able to walk all over it. Don't think you can go wrong with any of them. Best bet is to find a way to demo them and see which one feels best to you.

    @cigarsnjeeps

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Cave Springs, Arkansas
    Posts
    108

    Default Re: Nucanoe FT 12 vs. Jackson Mayfly?

    I've had a Mayfly for about a year and love it. I've fished still water and moving water. Super stable and nimble enough to get you out of potential trouble. Tons of dry storage and deck storage. Gear tracks everywhere. And like you said, lot's of included goodies from Jackson.
    http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=23427&dateline=140259  3853

  9. #8

    Default Re: Nucanoe FT 12 vs. Jackson Mayfly?

    This best advice I can give is to study this article by Wenonah Canoes on stability of the different hull designs. My preference is the shallow arch as it is much safer when leaning out to grab a fish. A severe rocker is great in swift waters but a royal pain in the lakes and it beats you up trying to track a straight line.

    Wenonah Canoe manufactures canoes and paddling accessories for paddle sports enthusiasts.

    Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

    Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

  10. Default Re: Nucanoe FT 12 vs. Jackson Mayfly?

    Don't know about the Mayfly but the Frontier 12 is a great fishing platform. I like being able to slide the seat back and forth as needed and also the adjustable seat height,although you can't do it on the water. I've not had mine on still water so I can't really say how the width affects the paddling. I use mine on the creeks and rivers here in SW Mo. and it works fine for that.

Similar Threads

  1. Just Got My NuCanoe Frontier
    By flyfishmich in forum Kayak/SUP Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-29-2017, 11:22 AM
  2. Artilce in Hardy's newletter about NuCanoe Frontier 12
    By fly_guy12955 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-18-2013, 05:38 AM
  3. NuCanoe Frontier ?
    By bear 007 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-13-2013, 09:02 PM
  4. Jackson, WY
    By fishtacos in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-11-2011, 04:25 PM
  5. Jackson river va
    By ohbee1 in forum Coldwater Fly Fishing
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-18-2008, 11:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •