Carrying flyrod on SUP?

bluechipfish

Reaction score
Hey all, how do you bring your rod along when you SUP? I went today and put the rod in a half-unzipped backpack, but maybe there's a better way?

flav

Reaction score
I've seen it done several ways. Many guys strap on a cooler with rod holders attached. I've also seen guys strap one of those plastic milk crates to their SUP and drop the rod in there or in an attached rod holder. I've also seen guys hold a rod down on the deck with a bungee cord.
I plan on buying a SUP this year and I will probably use a cooler with rod holders strapped behind me so I can sit on it. Engel makes a fairly inexpensive molded cooler with built in rod holders that looks promising.

tex68w

Reaction score
I do a little of all of those suggestions. I have a angler oriented inflatable that has multiple spots for Scotty rod mounts, endless tie down d-rings, two bungee systems, a universal clip-in rod/paddle/stake-out stick holder, and then of course an ice chest with rod holders attached. I've never done the milk crate system, but it is very popular with kayakers and SUP anglers alike.

I prefer to use the mounted Scotty rod holders so that I can orient the angle and direction of the rods according to my needs and environment. Occasionally I'll carry a rocket launcher tube on one of the forward mounts with an articulating arm for quick access to the rod while standing, but this is only when fishing with conventional tackle.

With a fly rod I use the Scotty fly rod holders, but with conventional gear I usually just throw the rods in the holders on the side of the ice chest.

Here's a quick shot of how I carry my rods when I bass fish some old quarries in the area. Like Flav suggested, I too use the cooler to sit on and paddle at times or when rigging up new tackle, the cooler makes for a great seat.