Pedal Power

Big Bird

Reaction score
Installed last weekend, have yet to get it out. This weekend is promising a good deal of rain..... guess I'm going to get wet, I want to go play with it!

Pedal Drv1.jpg
Pdl Drv2.jpg
Pdl Drv3.jpg

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks interesting but the close up photos make it hard to understand what I'm seeing. Maybe when you test things out you could get some photos of the whole rig...………..

Ard

karstopo

Reaction score
All or many of these kayaks now have pedal power options. Hobie makes the Mirage drive that uses fins and leg power and I believe everyone else uses a drive with a leg powered propeller. They can be raised up to navigate in super shallow water.

More and more kayaks I see on the water have pedal drives. For myself, I fish standing so the drives just get in the way. The vast majority of kayakers I see Fish seated and the foot drives let them operate under power and cast and fish while moving. Legs are said to tire out less quickly than shoulders and arms so the pedal drives are the choice of long distance/offshore fishing kayaks.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I'd like to see you kayak as you get it all rigged up the way you like it. I went to the Wilderness Systems site, that looks like a very nice kayak.
Sorry about the rain delay.....send some of that wet stuff out to Wyoming, we need it.

Big Bird

Reaction score
I'd like to see you kayak as you get it all rigged up the way you like it. I went to the Wilderness Systems site, that looks like a very nice kayak.
Sorry about the rain delay.....send some of that wet stuff out to Wyoming, we need it.
Would love too.... we got about 5+ inches since Friday. The Northern burbs of Dallas and farther north near the Okie boarder got between 8 to 14" in the same time frame.... Don't need a Kayak, need an Arc!

Big Bird

Reaction score
Looks interesting but the close up photos make it hard to understand what I'm seeing. Maybe when you test things out you could get some photos of the whole rig...………..

Ard
Yea, I get that. This will put my less than descriptive photos in perspective I think..... You can ignore much of what the guy is saying, trying to explain how it works. He is pretty clueless and after several demo's for the reviewer on how to raise the drive and smashing the propeller into the bottom of the boat, he did kind of remember that the pedals have to be lined up in "Some kind of way"...... to raise it close to a zero draft.

YouTube

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Would love too.... we got about 5+ inches since Friday. The Northern burbs of Dallas and farther north near the Okie boarder got between 8 to 14" in the same time frame.... Don't need a Kayak, need an Arc!
We haven't seen rain for ages, everything in Wyoming is so dry and we have several wildfires going on. Praying for rain!

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
We haven't seen rain for ages, everything in Wyoming is so dry and we have several wildfires going on. Praying for rain!
Getting it here right now Larry, that's why I'm still here at home. I'm thinking that with the rain over the past 3 days I'll be able to take the big boat and leave the Mokai home.

Big Bird, I get it now. I have a couple Mokai's google that. They are perfect for where I live because I never have overheating issues.

Big Bird

Reaction score
Getting it here right now Larry, that's why I'm still here at home. I'm thinking that with the rain over the past 3 days I'll be able to take the big boat and leave the Mokai home.

Big Bird, I get it now. I have a couple Mokai's google that. They are perfect for where I live because I never have overheating issues.
I have seen those before Ard, they are very cool..... I imagine where you fish way up there, paddling or peddling upstream in that water you fish might be a bit of a challenge. I am a still water fisherman now, so peddling and being able to cover more of a lake is what I was looking for. The Mokai sure looks like big fun though!

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I've yet to take one out in the salt but sooner or later I may. I met a guy years ago who had taken one from Whittier to Seward along the coast. He did that in the old model with a 5 HP Honda in it. He said there were more little creeks dumping into the ocean than you could count. Sounds good to me.