Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  11
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How do you guys anchor your kayaks while lake fly fishing?

I have a 14' wilderness systems fishing kayak that I use occasionally for stillwater fly fishing on a few of our little local lakes. I went out last weekend and the wind got annoying. I would get a cast out and would immediately need to paddle back out. I have read about pulley systems, but for a lake that is average 10-20' deep is that a good idea or am I going to get blown around, but just tethered to a single point?

2. Default Re: How do you guys anchor your kayaks while lake fly fishing?

I use a 2.5 lb steel weight plate. I installed two eye-bolts on my boat. One on the bow where the weight hangs and another about halfway to the cockpit to run the rope through. Sure, the 2.5 lb plate won’t hold me in a gale, but I don’t fish then anyway.

Byron Bay...easternmost point of Australia

Default Re: How do you guys anchor your kayaks while lake fly fishing?

I started with a house brick on a rope but went up market (lol) a while back and bought a small collapsable anchor....still use the nylon rope though.

Blog Entries

I'm thinking you fellas aren't in deep water. I have one of the small collapsible cast anchors in my Mokai with 30 foot of line on it. I just use it to make sure the boat doesn't drift away while I am away from it wading. In case you aren't familiar with Mokai they are an 11 1/2 foot kayak with a 7.2 hp jet prop motor in them.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Not a huge lake but has some deep spots. Sounds like I should grab a collapsible anchor. What’s the benefit of using an anchor pulley system. Just to change the anchor connection point on the kayak?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Default Re: How do you guys anchor your kayaks while lake fly fishing?

Connection point. I tried one and decided there was not much value (to me) in being able to move it around. Thus my answer of just hanging it from an eye bolt on the bow.

7. Likes hendodesign liked this post
    Byron Bay...easternmost point of Australia

"I have one of the small collapsible cast anchors in my Mokai with 30 foot of line on it"
    Ard,that's what I'm using at present....K.I.S.S. works for me.
    Cheers

9. Likes hendodesign liked this post

I have a collapsible anchor but prefer to use a five pound ProForm Purse Kettlebell weight instead. The advantages of that vs the collapsible anchor are that it is less likely to hangup on structure, it won't rust (so I can also use it in saltwater) and it costs less than $6 from Home Depot online with delivery to store.

I have it on parachute cord and attach to the kayak with a carabiner clip, both are relatively inexpensive, especially online. To manage the anchor line, I use a YoYo hand reel which I've drilled a couple of holes that are the same diameter as the parachute cord and slice a bit of the plastic out between them so that I can clip the parachute cord into that opening to regulate the amount of line I want out at any time.

A float is also recommended in case you want to unclip the anchor and be able to return to the same spot. Also very handy if the anchor line accidentally detaches from the kayak.

anchor 1 by , on Flickr

anchor 2 by , on Flickr

anchor 3 by , on Flickr

anchor 4 by , on Flickr

Use a trolley system with a folding grapple anchor and float. For saltwater use on Cape Cod, I have a miniature plow anchor I substitute for the grapple type.

Tight lines,
    Bob
    At the southern tip of Lake Champlain

12. Likes hendodesign liked this post
  13. Default Re: How do you guys anchor your kayaks while lake fly fishing?

I made an anchor trolley with stuff from the hardware store (pulleys, springs, paracord and carabiner). I bought a small anchor (I think 1.5 lb) at West Marine. For a while I also used a homemade buoy (a 1-gallon milk jug painted bright yellow); in the event that a huge fish started pulling my kayak, I could disconnect the anchor (attached to the buoy) from the kayak, and come back and retrieve it later. That scenario proved to be wishful thinking, so I stopped bringing the buoy along. The anchor works OK, with the trolley you can orient it so the wind (or current) keeps you pointed in the right direction.

By the way, some people use sea anchors (parachute, drift sock, whatever you want to call it), commercial or homemade. I haven't tried that but might this summer.

14. Likes hendodesign liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast