Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  9

Default The Struggles of a Kayak Fisherman

Just watched a YouTube video that I found very humorous because it's a compilation of what other video makers would probably consider out-takes. Nice to see that someone has good sense of humor to laugh at what life throws at them or, in this case, what they throw at life.

In case the link doesn't work, the title of the video is the same as this thread.

2. Thanks City Rat thanked for this post
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The Struggles of a Kayak Fisherman

That was great, thanks for sharing!
    Larry

And that's why I sold my NuCanoe and bought a raft . I subed this guy .
    Thread Killer

Blue Ridge, Rappahanock, Potomac and Fingerlakes Region

Very cool video. Thanks for posting. I do have a kayak so I will try this for sure, just to see if I can make it work.

Blog Entries

Fished from a kayak for a few years before buying my first float tube. This video brought back some funny memories. Thanks for posting.
    "Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark

Quote Originally Posted by rangerrich99 View Post
    Fished from a kayak for a few years before buying my first float tube. This video brought back some funny memories. Thanks for posting.
    I switched from a fishing kayak I had for a few years to a single man pontoon last year...Iíll never go back. Especially for fly fishing.
    Life is like a box of chocolates...and a river runs through it. Or something like that.

8. Likes rangerrich99, jangles liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by rangerrich99 View Post
    One disadvantage to a float tube is that you probably don't want to catch it with a hook like the gentleman had to do to retrieve the one that was floating away. But then on the other hand, it's probably not a good idea to let your mode of water transportation float away. Of all the similar mishaps I've had, fortunately that wasn't one of them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dakotakid View Post
    One disadvantage to a float tube is that you probably don't want to catch it with a hook like the gentleman had to do to retrieve the one that was floating away. But then on the other hand, it's probably not a good idea to let your mode of water transportation float away. Of all the similar mishaps I've had, fortunately that wasn't one of them.
    Curious as it might seem, in the more than 10 years I've been fishing from float tubes, I've never holed one with a hook. And I can't remember any of my buddies that tube that have either. Part of the reason I think is that the ballistic nylon covering the tubes is tougher than one might think, and the tubes themselves are made from a pretty thick plastic.

The biggest disadvantage to a tube vs a kayak or a canoe, IMO, is speed. Tubes are really slow; all-out I can muster about 3 mph. And if there's current or wind over 15 mph tubes are reduced to an ant crawl.

The trade off, obviously, is that I don't need my hands at all to propel or maneuver a tube, which I believe is the biggest disadvantage of a kayak.
    "Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark