Kayak Buying Advice

labradorguy

Reaction score
Hello all. Long time no chat.... :)

I'm in the market for a new kayak and was looking to get some feedback on the finalists. The yak will mainly be used for tailwaters (floating down one way trips or short floats then paddle back up and do again days), poling around salt flats, and long floats on the Mo, Bow, Stone, etc...

I have no intention of doing anything but paddling. No trolling, no outboards, etc... I don't like pedal drives either, so please no Hobie recommendations.

After a lot of research and paddling, the final three contenders are:

Eddyline C-135: The Award Winning C-135 Fishing Kayak - Eddyline Kayaks and Paddles

Nucanoe Pursuit: Pursuit Models | NuCanoe | Hunting and Fishing Kayaks

Diablo Adios: Diablo Paddlesports ◊ Store: Boats

I need a decent paddler for the upstream runs and I'm not sure the Diablo is up to the task, so currently it's at the bottom of the list.

I've noticed that the standard answers in these threads are that I need to try all three and pick what works best for me. So, yes... I have done that. I have tried all three. They each have advantages and disadvantages. I'm really hoping for feedback from people who own and/or use these boats. Sometimes you see things after several hours that you don't immediately pick up on doing a demo. If anyone has any info they could provide (either good or bad) I'd very much appreciate it. I'd love to compare it to some of the opinions I have formed and see if I'm on the right track.

Thanks all!

PS- Small water gets float tubed and I have an Eddyline Fathom for when I want to do miles. ;)

mikemac1

Reaction score
I am in Bozeman and am intimately familiar with the waters you frequent. I am a long time kayak angler (1990s) on river and have a couple of recommendations for you (personal experience).

#1 choice: Eddyline Caribbean 12 Angler (ideal weight, size and layout)
01c099087b5d559e31e928567c345dd9d4e86b9603.jpg
#2 Native Watersports Ultimate 12 (Perfect hybrid style and very suitable for up to class II water.)
# 3 Native Ultimate 12 Tegris (The ideal kayak weight wise if you can find one)

FFDBAF3F-31C3-4ADC-8225-A12EAB84FA53.jpg
Code:
PM me for more details

labradorguy

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I looked hard at the Caribbean Angler 14 and it was a tough choice between it and the C-135. I ended up preferring the C-135 for stand up casting. I do a lot of night fishing and thought the extra stability would be worth the performance sacrifice but I've done a lot of second guessing since then.... Have you ever paddled the C-135? I definitely like the Caribbean lines better.

mikemac1

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I looked hard at the Caribbean Angler 14 and it was a tough choice between it and the C-135. I ended up preferring the C-135 for stand up casting. I do a lot of night fishing and thought the extra stability would be worth the performance sacrifice but I've done a lot of second guessing since then.... Have you ever paddled the C-135? I definitely like the Caribbean lines better.
I have never paddled a C-135. Much too heavy a boat for me. My #1 must have characteristic is light weight. I was 50 when I started fishing with kayaks and am 71 now. As I fish alone most of the time, the weight of the kayak is paramount. I have a Carribean 12 Angler in Florida for flats work. I wish I had one here in Bozeman. I have three Ultimate 12s. The Carribean 12 isn’t a good choice if standup fishing is important. But the Ultimate 12 hybrids were actually designed for stable standup fishing.
788E2B25-5B06-4BB4-966C-175B257ADA35.jpg

I have used the Ultimate 12 on the Missouri standing up most of the way down from Holter to Wolf Creek without any issues.

I fish WITH my kayak far more than I fish FROM my kayak. As I typically wade upsteam from the put in for several miles with the kayak tethered to my waist. The kayak provides safe tranportation through deep sections and across the river, and of course a quick ride back to the put in (no shuttles required).

Last edited:

runningfish

Reaction score
I used to have Ocean Kayak Trident 13, it was a solid and fast kayak. I could stand up and cast.
If I were going to buy a watercraft, I am going to go with Fish Pack 7 just because transporting kayak day in and day out got really tiring.

karstopo

Reaction score
I used to have Ocean Kayak Trident 13, it was a solid and fast kayak. I could stand up and cast.
If I were going to buy a watercraft, I am going to go with Fish Pack 7 just because transporting kayak day in and day out got really tiring.
If you could stand in that OK Trident kayak, I’m highly impressed. My good fishing buddy used to fall out of his just paddling around.

labradorguy

Reaction score
I'd be impressed too.... That's not a stander any more than my Eddyline Journey.

I think I'm going with the C-135. I found a "can't pass up" deal. Getting the Diablo Adios too... Why buy one when you can but two right?

I needed a "fish from" kayak. Brushy banks and high water below dams just isn't going to let a person do anything but fish from the boat. C-135 should be perfect for that. Extra stability should be good for night fishing and slinging mice. It will paddle halfway decent too.

I don't need anything for flats work other than for when I'm putzing around in the mangrove roots. I've got a 22' skiff with a custom built by Mariner 300+hp offshore racing motor. The Diablo should be perfect for that and for doing one way floats down the river.

I appreciate the ideas guys. I guess I'll disappear for a couple more years now. LOL.

Tight lines!