Jackson Mayfly vs Jackson Big Rig

bks

Reaction score
I’m 49 6’4” 250lbs and am looking for a new kayak. I bought a Pelican catch 120 a few years ago and love fishing out of it. I want to upgrade and give my son the catch.
I am trying to decide between these two, The MayFly and The Big Rig. I want comfort, I don’t know how much stand up fishing I will do. I fly fish mainly on lakes and some smaller rivers for panfish and small mouth bass.
Anyone with a comparison of these two?

bks

Reaction score
Wound up going with the MayFly, two of them matter of fact. The fly fishing amenities are what sold me on it.

iv_wjb

Reaction score
Very nice - congratulations!

I’ll be interested in hearing how you like it over the season... I was about to order one for myself this Winter but, decided to put it off for a year to think about it.

I did have the chance to see one in a local showroom & I was very impressed. I hope you enjoy it!!

Critter

Reaction score
I have been thinking about getting one, but we can’t use them on the “ in town” lakes here. No boating, tubing or wading allowed. And this is were I do 99% of my fishing. I just wish there was an annual permit type system we could buy to cover insurance costs or what ever and I would buy one in a minute. These lakes would be perfect for it to, it sucks.

The Mad Duck

Reaction score
I have a Big Rig and love it. A buddy of mine(about your Height/Weight) had a Mayfly to paddle for several months. They both paddle about the same.
The two main differences that I noticed other than rigging:
1 The Mayfly has the clear deck with a foot pad as opposed to foot pegs. The footpad is triangular in shape and slides back and forth
2. The Mayfly sits awfully low (IMO) in the midship area, right about where the seat is. I watched my buddy paddle this boat several times and we both noticed the lack of freeboard.

The hatches are a bit different and the Mayfly has a paddle keeper built onto the top of the front hatch. The well behind the seat is shaped a bit differently than the Big Rig and a little bigger, I think
Both are stable boats!!

Last edited:

whalensdad

Reaction score
I purchased a Mayfly at the beginning of this season. Since I planned on fishing coastal, I spent some time outfitting it with a trolling motor, nav ights, etc. I've taken it out on some lakes near me and it is "earth stable" when standing. I never feel like it's going to tip. I bought it because it was designed specifically to address the issues fly fishermen encounter (line tangles on deck objects, rod storage, etc.). My only real complaint is the weight and it is a bit slow when paddling. The standing strap is great. All in all, I'm very happy with the purchase.

IMG_20190615_161248383.jpg