Float tube fin advice

jeep.ster

jeepster
Reaction score
I have force fins strap style with cabelas fin saver leg straps. Over 20 years old and still in great condition. I also have the caddis fins I used once. I keep them for backup.

stenacron

Reaction score
This should prove to be a very interesting thread. Everyone I've every spoken to about float tubes is constantly on a quest for the best kick fins for a reasonable price (I mean, come on... there's not much to them). And I am no different :D

In my most recent return to float tubing - lakes (including some large reservoirs) for trout - I started out with the Turbo Thrusters by Classic Accessories... I think they were around $45.00

Excellent fins ONCE YOU ARE IN THE WATER, although there is no ankle strap to save your fin if they should come off. One of the drawbacks on the design is a single strap that goes around your achilles area. If it breaks, it's gone, and it's rubber, so it will... some day.

Another drawback (for me) is on a size 11 wading boot, you cannot wear them. They will not fit over the toe/boot area. So my routine was wearing a pair of cheap, Shaquille O'Neal sized shower slippers down to the water's edge, and then slipping my stocking foot waders into the fins. Then they fit nice, although the heels of your waders are totally exposed until you're floating.

Drawback #3 - extremely difficult to walk with these! OK, I'll go a step further, I found it impossible to walk with this... even shuffling your feet getting in/out of the water is super difficult... they are very long, and curve downward slightly.

Again, IN THE WATER, they are great - except for the "OMG, I might lose these when the strap breaks" thing.

About a month ago I switched to the Force Fin type by Caddis ($60 at Sportsman's Warehouse):

These are great both in, AND OUT OF, the water. They provide plenty of thrust, and honestly I have not seen a difference in performance between these and my previous trip hazards. Also, they easily fit over my wading boots, so no more shuffling around in Shaq's shower shoes. And they do have ankle straps in case they slip off, THANK GOD, which brings me to the one, major...

Drawback... it was the strap design. There are two 1" straps that go over your boots, each in two parts... which means there are four (4) places, on each fin that can potentially loosen up. Mine did... BIG TIME. First time out I felt one come loose after about 20 minutes, absolutely could not cinch it down seated in my tube and it quickly came off about 3 kicks into trying to make it to shore. The second one? Same thing about 5 minutes later. After a long, backstroke back to shore it was "day over" as I did not bring my others as a back-up (lesson learned).

Back at home I chucked the factory straps and purchased new 1" buckle/straps from REI, so now there is only one place each strap can loosen, and so far after hard kicking on two trips they have not loosened up one bit.

This biggest PLUS for the Force Fin type is that you can walk in them! I can keep my boots on, and they curve upward slightly, so no issues getting it/out of the water.

Anyway, that's my $0.02 on where I am at right now... curious to hear from others, especially long-time, experienced floaters.

Am I eventually going to spend $150-$200 on float tube fins? :eek:

rodneyshishido

Reaction score
I used to fish with a float tube about 30 years ago. I used use to use my scuba diving fins. I also used my diving booties over my stocking-foot waders. Worked like a charm and never lost fins or had problems with them coming off. They used to make a "keepers" for the fins to keep them from getting lost while going in and out of the surf.

rangerrich99

Reaction score
Been a while since we had this discussion.

Anyway, I've had two sets of ForceFins, and two sets of Omega FlipFins, plus the cheapo fins that came with my tube.

In terms of pure in-the-water performance, ForceFins are the best. They produce almost as much thrust as the Omegas, but they're more efficient, so less fatigue factor of the course of a day. They're also shorter in length, making turning around easier. Another nice feature is the strap design accommodates any type of boot size/shape

ForceFins only have two drawbacks, IMO. One, the straps. They require some adjusting, several times the first time you use them to get them right. And they can loosen during use, so some spot checking is required during their use. Two, is of course walking in them over rough or steep terrain. It can be dangerous.

Omega FlipFins can produce more total thrust than FFs, but at all speeds, they require more effort. But where they really shine is the clips to secure them, allowing you to make one adjustment for fitting and then forget about them. The other great thing about FlipFins is the flip-up design (fin portion actually is hinged allowing the user to pop the fin lock and springs lift and rotate the fin up and back towards the shins), allowing one to actually walk normally over any terrain (bottoms have a boot-like rubber tread for much better traction). Most of the places I use my tube feature very steep rocky banks making walking either backwards or duck-like extremely awkward and dangerous. Especially when getting OUT of the water.

Another issue with Omegas (not sure Omega still makes these, might be another company by now) is that high-toe boots require the XL or bigger fin size, due to the closed toe design.

Basically, if I was never going to have to deal with steep very broken terrain, I'd get ForceFins every time. They're very efficient and comfortable and a little cheaper than FlipFins.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I have the Caddis fins
They're not ideal but they work
It's not a big deal as far as I'm concerned and I have no intension of getting anything different

jangles

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Marana ,Hellazonia . Idaho , Utah , Mt , NM and Wy
I'm not really sure that I need a set that propels easily or goes a long ways towards distance on every kick . Probably the ones I have now will serve me well . The only time I will be using them is floating down rivers in my Water Master Kodiak and then I wont be walking in them just standing up to fish . I originally thought I might use it in lake too but I'm just kidding myself . I can use my Saturn Kaboat much easier in lakes . I am finding this thread interesting though .

robtmitchell

Reaction score
I have some 20+ year old scuba fins I use for lakes. I Just put them on over my stocking foot waders and wear my wading boots down to the water edge and throw them in the back of the tube while I fish.
They are powerful but have no safety strap. I have adjusted once or twice and never had any issues.
For river fishing I bought the outcast brand over boot fins last year so I could get out and fish or put my feet down entering a run to slow down. They work well but seem to require more of a flutter kick with my legs higher up toward the surface compared to the old dive fins.

Just reading this makes me want to hit some big trout lakes.
Thanks for posting everyone as I have never tried the force fins but if they are powerful I am interested and don't care if its more of a workout.

tpo

Reaction score
I have a pair of 30 year old Caddis fins and bought a pair of the Classic Accessories Thruser Fins a few years ago. I prefer the Caddis fins. Easier on/off and I can walk short distances just fine with them by not bending my ankles. They use boot strings which wear out but are otherwise great fins. I've considered buying force fins buy haven't pulled the trigger.

Question for you Force Fin owners: There are original FF's that sell for $200 and newer ones for half the price. Is there a significant quality/ performance difference between the two? Thanks.

Tom

patrick62

Reaction score
My pontoon boat action is limited to a bass lake so I just wear boat shoes down to the water and swim fins I got at Target once I'm in.

Years ago I tried my first pontoon boat on the lake when it was cold out. I used the cheap fins that came with it and experienced all the problems mentioned above.

Matt4.0

Reaction score
A year (ish) ago I had this same question when I got a pontoon. After much reading, I ended up ordering a set of the Omega flip fins (suggested by Ranger Rich in a similar thread). Long story short, when I had two pontoons (for the better half and I), a short time later I jumped on a set of used force fins I came across for a great deal on b/s/t group online.

Although my first intention was to get the force fins for the wife, I’ve had many opportunities to use both. Thanks to Ranger Rich for saving me a lot of typing as his assessment on both is pretty spot on from my experience. I don’t ever attempt to walk far in either though, so my tl;dr version is that while the omega flips provide a “bit” more thrust when trying to cover water, the force fins are amazing for overall control when trying to hold position or turn, which IMO is the main reason to use fins. (I have oars and sometimes a trolling motor when I want to cover water).

When I go out without the wife, I grab the force fins. When she joins, she gets them as they’re that much easier to use, especially for someone with smaller legs. And to be fair, after a bit of practice I’m very comfortable with the omegas. The flip feature is also nice even if a pain to get them to flip up at times. I also tried the “knock off” force fins during a float tube fly fishing class and they weren’t even in the same league as the real deal.

dc2483

Reaction score
The green and white boat is a Dave Scadden Fusion DST. it's been discontinued.

clsmith131

Reaction score
I use a pair of cheap ping pong paddles tethered to the handles on my float tube. I just lean back and paddle backwards. I like to stop periodically to walk around and warm up, maybe have a beer, so I don't like having flippers on.

trout trekker

Reaction score
Western Portal Sequoia National Forest, Kern River
My wife swims laps nearly every morning when we're home, she's has a very strong leg stroke compared to most men and woman. She's tried several fins and she's stayed with the original lace up style Caddis fins because they are more resistant to bending and she gets the most out of each kick. I on the other hand prefer the older sized Force Fins because to me, they are a little better at making very subtle movements that allow me to stay in place down to the inch. Everyone here has a good reason why they use the fin they do and they are all correct.

My advice, get a pair that are sized properly for whatever you intend to wear on your feet, see that they have a reasonably large fin surface area and that they are a quality build. You'll likely have them for many years.

Dave

von behr

Reaction score
I’ve had great results with Force Fins. They are well made and built specifically for float tube pilots. You’ll never need another pair of fins.

triggw

Reaction score
I use the Outcast step-in fins. $39.99. Sturdy. Secure. Have a strap that snaps around the ankles. Quick to get on and off. Fit over my wading boots. If I need more power in my pontoon boat, I use my trolling motor.

The first time I belly boated the wind blew me down to the far end of the lake, and I had to get out and walk back to the truck over rocky terrain. I like wearing fins over wading boots.