Any Hobie PA people here ? Have a question...

eastfly66

Reaction score
I was hoping there might be someone here that can give me their thoughts on the stand up bar for the any of the Hobie craft or any yak for that matter .....I don't know if other yaks have the same thing.

Thanks
Paul

Critter

Reaction score
I know some of the Jackson kayaks have them. But I think most use them a few times and either leave them off and stand, or just sit all the time.

The Mad Duck

Reaction score
I have a Jackson Big Rig and took my bar off. Its behind my gun safe in my office. Firstly, I didn't use it,Secondly, It is a magnet for a fly line. or any other thing looking to get tangled. In another post, I had remarked that standing really doesn't help me personally, so I don't miss it

blondterror

Reaction score
I have a Hobie Revolution 16 and I rarely stand but can cast well sitting down with a 9 foot rod

guido

Reaction score
I'm about to take delivery of a NuCanoe Unlimited. It is my first kayak really intended for standup fishing. I'm going to get the standup bar, perhaps it will be a transition tool like training wheels on a bike. Or maybe it will be a standard fixture. We'll see...

blondterror

Reaction score
I'm about to take delivery of a NuCanoe Unlimited. It is my first kayak really intended for standup fishing. I'm going to get the standup bar, perhaps it will be a transition tool like training wheels on a bike. Or maybe it will be a standard fixture. We'll see...
do you plan to use it for both fresh and salt fishing?

blondterror

Reaction score
I use a Humminbird FF with GPS on my Hobie and it has been very helpful for getting back to hot spots for SW fishing and for night kayaking on Joppa Flats in Newburyport

guido

Reaction score
The GPS in the motor is for electric anchoring and when I refresh my finder, the contour following features.

Not having to anchor to hold position in the wind is worth it's weight in gold for me...

Probably age related, but I don't really have any interest in being out on Joppa at night in a kayak.

blondterror

Reaction score
The GPS in the motor is for electric anchoring and when I refresh my finder, the contour following features.

Not having to anchor to hold position in the wind is worth it's weight in gold for me...

Probably age related, but I don't really have any interest in being out on Joppa at night in a kayak.
On a calm night in the first two weeks of June it can be amazing except for having a seal surface next to you and scare the heck out of you but several years ago I did catch several 35 plus lb stripers when high tide was about 1 am. You do need to get off the water 90 minutes before low tide or deal with the mucky walk of shame

guido

Reaction score
I used to wade fish Jappa, but it just is no longer that productive in daylight hours. The evening shift does kill it there...

Drysidesooter

Reaction score
My wife and I fly fish from our Hobie's quite a bit. Mine is an Outback. I thought about the stand up bar, but I've tried to go pretty minimalist to keep the weight down, as well as less stuff to snag line on. It's stable enough to stand anyway, and I occasionally do that. If we know we will be casting seated from the kayaks quite a bit we use micro skagit heads. Makes casting from that low of position much easier.