Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Sportspal Canoe, advice appreciated!

Congratulations on your new canoe. I tremendously enjoy fly fishing out of a canoe, and canoeing in general.

One suggestion regarding loading/unloading the boat from the roof of your vehicle: Spend some time on the internet and learn the proper way to lift a canoe. It's simple, and by practicing a few times, you'll quickly become an expert. Getting a canoe over your head has little to do with strength and a lot to do with technique.

I'm not old but not young, either (mid 50s) and average build. But one of my old canoes weighs more than 80 lbs and is 18 ft long. With the correct technique, I can easily (but maybe not gracefully) get it over my head. This is just a suggestion, and it will save you the hassle of towing a trailer or similar.

2. Thanks photoguy thanked for this post

Default Re: Sportspal Canoe, advice appreciated!

I have a 16' Coleman. It's heavy. I've owned it for 15 years. I had a set of racks the fit in the stake holes of my pick up, but mostly, I've slid it onto the bed on a rack made of 2 2 X8's with a channel cut for the minimal keel. I strap the rack to the bed, and strap the canoe to both. I had a full bed-8' + the tailgate so I drove to and fro with about 7' of canoe hanging out the back. The new truck is only a 6' bed, so I have 10' of boat out the back. In the winter, it's loaded with gear. I rigged a light for the end of the boat but it didn't last. I longed for a hitch mount rack, but had neither money nor a hitch. Never been pulled over for the boat thing.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privilege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey

4. Likes photoguy liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12