Float Tube

ratherfish

Reaction score
So probably 15 years ago I bought an old donut tube at a church sale. I bought some fins a couple years ago, working up to the courage (I am a very poor swimmer) I finally got the courage to use it yesterday on a very small local lake. Albeit very uncomfortable (from a male of view) I found it a most pleasant and enjoyable experience and caught fish too. One thing I discovered was when I paddled I tended to travel backwards, maybe I was doing it wrong, but if indeed you do travel backwards, why do the U style tubes have pointed fronts? I am considering upgrading....

Rip Tide

Reaction score
There are fins that will propel you forward instead of backwards, but they're not very useful.
I doubt anyone here uses them.. I know I don't

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
So probably 15 years ago I bought an old donut tube at a church sale. I bought some fins a couple years ago, working up to the courage (I am a very poor swimmer) I finally got the courage to use it yesterday on a very small local lake. Albeit very uncomfortable (from a male of view) I found it a most pleasant and enjoyable experience and caught fish too. One thing I discovered was when I paddled I tended to travel backwards, maybe I was doing it wrong, but if indeed you do travel backwards, why do the U style tubes have pointed fronts? I am considering upgrading....
The old donut style float tubes don't move very well. The newer U tubes have pointed bows so that when finning you can travel a bit easier and faster, well worth the investment. If you can't swim I would highly recommend wearing a PFD while on the water. I wear one even though I can swim pretty good.

jangles

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Marana ,Hellazonia . Idaho , Utah , Mt , NM and Wy
They're called "Fishmaster Style Paddle Pushers"
That's funny , years ago I had a pair and they were called Water Wings . Also they were green in color . They worked good but weren't very sturdy , broke easily . I wonder if these are the new improved model ? I used them for duck hunting from a tube where I only needed to keep myself in place . I may get another pair . Thanks .

Rip Tide

Reaction score
why are they not very useful and if you don't use them do you just travel backwards?
They're not very efficient. They don't push a lot of water and therefore you're not going far.
So you just go backwards and deal with it.
It's not a big thing, you get used to it real fast.

jangles

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Marana ,Hellazonia . Idaho , Utah , Mt , NM and Wy
why are they not very useful and if you don't use them do you just travel backwards?
They're just not good for traveling long distances quickly they work fine for stalking fish the earlier ones I had were green and cheaply made had short straps these seem to be heavier with 13" straps Amazon has them for 39 99 and I'm going to buy a pair . Not sure what you mean by if you don't use them do you go backwards ? Is think that is self explanatory.

ratherfish

Reaction score
So if you use regular flippers and just deal with going backwards, what is the advantage to a U shape, wouldn't the back of it be comparable to a donut?

Rip Tide

Reaction score
So now I need to pick one - what is the good points and what is bad points?
I can't help you with that.
The one that I use I found washed up in the woods (with a 6 of Bud in the pockets) after a flood.
It's the one that you'd find at the big box outdoor stores and it's barely adequate for my 220 lbs