Kayak Deck Pads and Fly Rod Storage

mike126

Reaction score
I'm toying with the idea of adding deck pads to my Jackson Bite. They just came out with them and was wondering if others feel they are worth having? I'm trying to keep my kayak as simple as possible but if they are useful then I would add them.

With regard to fly rod storage... I did get a Yak Attack rod holder. It's ok but it can get in the way of my line. I usually bring my 7wt and a ultralight spinning rod when I'm fishing the Potomac (above Great Falls) or lakes. I store my spinning rod in the built in rod holder and lay my fly rod on the deck when not using it. I would like to bring a second fly rod and remove the need for the Yak Attack holder and store the rod horizontally. I'm trying to keep the deck clear of obstructions so laying the second fly rod in the middle of the deck is not a great option. Any clever solutions? I now appreciate the horizontal rod holders on some of the other kayaks.

Thanks
Mike

karstopo

Reaction score

I don’t know if your particular kayak will allow for it, but I strip my fly line on the two extra fly rod sets I typically carry. I don’t have a great photo of the exact arrangement, but look behind the fish and you might get an idea on how the extra rods are situated.

The extra rods act as a basket or pad in a way by distributing the fly line rather than allowing the line to clump in some narrow little spot. Two rods in this position act a little better than one, but one rod centered does a good job in keeping the fly line in an orderly array. Three rods in the horizontal position there creates negative issues so I stick with either two or one.

The base of the rods rest on the low seat of my Commander 140. The tips of the rods are at the tip of the bow. My feet fit on either side of the spare rod set ups. I leave the spares rigged and ready.

Haven’t had any issues like the fly line snagging a rod or rod guide yet. Haven’t stepped on the spare rods. I have to slide them over some when I bring a larger fish aboard.

I don’t carry any other rod holder forward of my seat, but my Commander does have a rail on top of the gunnels and I have a Scotty rod holder base mounted without the rod holder itself.

Aft of my seat, I have two vertical rocket launcher style holder mounted to a large milk crate in the tank well for conventional type of rods. I hardly ever bring along a conventional set up, but if I do, the vertical holders keep the rod out of the way for fly casting. If the wind is just so, I might have to move the conventional rod from the port side holder to the starboard side or vice versa. My conventional rods in that vertical position are essentially lined up with my body. I’m keeping the fly a safe distance from my body so if the spare, vertically stored rod aft of me comes into play with the moving fly, so it is with me.

The Mad Duck

Reaction score
My Big Rig came with deck pads. They are non slip, keep the deck a bit cooler on the feet AND, add some sound buffering if something gets dropped. Personally, I like them. In regards to rod storage. My storage that I use for lures, etc.. has a couple of rod tubes built in. I normally keep the flyrod handy in the cockpit and the spinning rod in one of the tubes on the tackle box ,behind me. I'm sure you have some track mounting on your boat. You could utilize those rails with extra rod holders if needs be.