Float tube/pontoon question

caddis75

Reaction score
Hey all,

Thinking ahead to next season and wondering if there is a one person float tube/ pontoon that can do all of the following. Ideally it would be small enough to fly with.

1. Upper Delaware River, PA
2. Green river, Wyoming
3. Pack trip into the Winds (lakes) this year and maybe the Lower Flat head next year.

I don't need it for most of my fishing, Penns Creek and the Tulpehocken.

Just playing around with the idea. I might be a year off from purchasing, since i mostly fish solo, I would need to figure out how to transport it and drop off my car. I doubt there is one thing that would fit all the criteria above, but I thought I'd ask. Thanks.

-Jason

flav

Reaction score
Sounds like you need a frameless pontoon, like the outcast fish cat scout. It weighs about 35 lbs and can packs pretty small, but is suitable for moving water as well as lakes. They're are other similar craft out there as well. Maybe not what you want for packing into the Winds, but it would cover you on rivers and lakes you can drive to.

You could also rent suitable watercraft from fly shops when you get to your destination. Many fly shops have inflatables available for rent, plus they can arrange for a vehicle shuttle if you're floating a stretch of river.

Matt4.0

Reaction score
I don’t know anything about the upper Delaware, but I can’t imagine a craft that would work for both #2 and #3. A lightweight float tube works for packing in to stillwater....but you aren’t going to want to float the Green in one...

caddis75

Reaction score
I don’t know anything about the upper Delaware, but I can’t imagine a craft that would work for both #2 and #3. A lightweight float tube works for packing in to stillwater....but you aren’t going to want to float the Green in one...
Thanks. That's what I figured. As in life, you can't get everything!

Druunkonego

Unknown member
Reaction score
Maybe something like this... which is basically the fishcat scout mentioned previousely, under different branding.

I got mine from Sportsman's Warehouse, which sells them for $150 less than the ones with the Orvis logo on them. It's river worthy, I've floated the Susquehanna River with mine but I mostly just use it float around the lake.

It packs down small enough to fit in a large duffel bag... like a BIG one. I'm sure you could fly with it, though I honestly don't know if I would recommend it. You could probably rent something locally and save yourself some effort.

chromefinder

Reaction score
caddis75, i think you are honestly looking at two craft for your intended uses

For Upper Delaware and Green River a framed or frameless pontoon would be ideal. The frameless pontoon are lighter and take up less space for transporting and storing but are much much slower on flat-water sections. The frameless rowing systems are also not as strong or efficient. In my experience a frameless pontoon on those long Upper Delaware pools in the wind is no fun. i have learned to pick out and do much shorter floats when using the frameless pontoon there. I'll switch over to a framed pontoon which offers a more efficient stronger rowing system for longer floats or when i know wind will be strong. For faster rivers without long flatwater sections the frameles works great. I do also think that the hard fishing seats on the framed pontoons are much more comfortable to sit in all day compared to the seats on the frameless pontoons. YMMV

For the pack trip i suggest you should look at an outcast Trinity float tube at 7 lbs.

good luck

see you on the water

flyfishxprt

Reaction score
Getting one boat to do it all is difficult but in my mind the "Predator", by Scadden Paddlesports is the only one currently made appropriate for all those purposes. It is light enough to backpack with and fly with but big enough to do camping floats with backpacking style gear. The other boats mentioned are fine if you don't have to carry them far but the Predator is half the weight of other frameless boats. The Scadden "Renegade" is my favorite for wilderness week floats because it is heavier fabric but much lighter than framed boats, but still too heavy and bulky to backpack with much. PM me if you would like more details.

predator x.jpg

IMG_20131127_12221.jpg

chromefinder

Reaction score
flyfishxprt

Has Scadden corrected his past issues with quality control and his customer service?

My Scadden Renegade fabric failed in the first 2 trips I took with a new boat and then all the glued on parts fell off in the first year of ownership. The fabric cracking and leaking, seams coming apart at the nose cones, glue failure on oarlocks, oar holders and where foot bar attaches. These were all major issues and i know i am not the only person this has happened too. I can honestly say it was the worst experience i have ever had with any inflatable pontoon craft and company and i have owned many different brands . I hope you fair better with your Scadden boat.