Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Let's Hear it for the Women

Everyone has heard of Joan Wulff, but how many other women (in the spotlight of the media) do you hear about loving this wonderful world of Fly Fishing.

Well, here are a few.Prince Charles's grandmother (England's late queen mother)
    How about Ginger Rogers (Fred Astaire's dance partner)
    Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Conner.

Some more guys are Ted Williams (Baseball) and Bing Crosby, Teddy Roosevelt, Herbert Hoover, Dwight Eisenhower and General George Marshall, Even Tom Brokaw. Plus the well known Hemingway, Eric Clapton.......

Default Re: Let's Hear it for the Women

A fishing buddy of mine guides for Spruce Creek Outfitters. Last year he was with some clients and took a quick lunch break at the fly shop. He was standing on the front porch when a big, black SUV pulled up with some big, scary looking guys and an elderly lady and gentleman. The lady gets out and walks up to him, extends her hand and says "Hi, I'm Rosalyn!" My friend had 'no clue' since he's 27, wasn't born in the '70's and didn't pass the part of the history test that listed presidents wives! Her husband turned around, extended his hand and said, "Hi, I'm Jimmy Carter!"

Turns out it was Rosalyn's birthday and she requested a fly-fishing trip on Spruce Creek for her birthday present! Very cool if I say so myself! .....and what flies did they purchase? ............San Juan Worms!

3. Default Re: Let's Hear it for the Women

E. Annie Proulx (Pulitzer Prize auther of Shipping News, Broke Back Mtn and more)

Lorian Hemingway (granddaughter of Ernest, accomplished author)

Le Anne Schreiber (is the current ESPN ombudsman)

Pam Houston (author of many books)

Elizabeth Arnold (congressional correspondent for NPR)

Marget Page (editor of The American Fly Fisher quarterly journal of the American Museum of Fly Fishing)

Mary Orvis (created the first fly pattern book in the US and was an avid tyer and fly fisher)

Carrie Stevens (creator of many streamer patterns that are readily used all over the world today like Gray & Black ghost. Avid fly fisher of Maine waters)

4. Default Re: Let's Hear it for the Women

That is really cool!

Cool thread! Too bad it isn't in the "General" section. More people need to know that women like to fly fish. My husband and I both get the oddly intoned "oh" or the odd grin/smirk when people learn that I am addicted to fly fish and he has absolutely no interest in it. We get those responses whether both of us are present or one of us is present.

Hi BlueDun,

Even though the thread is not in the General Section the general membership still sees it as an unread post if they look at "New Post".

Frank

7. Default Re: Let's Hear it for the Women

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDun View Post
    Cool thread! Too bad it isn't in the "General" section. More people need to know that women like to fly fish. My husband and I both get the oddly intoned "oh" or the odd grin/smirk when people learn that I am addicted to fly fish and he has absolutely no interest in it. We get those responses whether both of us are present or one of us is present.
    My boyfriend and I get exactly the same thing! I think they must think something's wrong with him or me. Well, come to think of it, I KNOW something's wrong with him!

We like to bend people's stereotypes - challenge their thinking a bit - so we have fun with the reactions of others!

9. Default Re: Let's Hear it for the Women

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDun View Post
    We like to bend people's stereotypes - challenge their thinking a bit - so we have fun with the reactions of others!

Can you see my smile, he, he, he

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast