The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  300
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 03-09-2017, 12:52 PM
Administrator

Ard has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Ard Send a message via Skype™ to Ard
Default What's In Your Yard?

In response to a reply on a thread about three bull moose hanging out here in our yard and woods. 'karstopo' one of our fellow members suggested a What's In Your Yard topic, lets see if it'll take off.

Many of us here have a back yard and from time to time we see things. If you have a bird feeder chances are you see lots of things....... The picture below is one of what I posted that inspired this thought.

Click the image to open in full size.

We also have Pine Gross Beak's - Hoary Red Poll - Common Red Poll - Chickadee - Nut Hatch's - Hairy Woodpecker's - Mag Pie - Ravens - a Squirrel - an occasional Snow Bunting and a fox who makes night time patrols. It's been a while since an eagle landed here, maybe 2 years but they sometimes stop by to see what all the other birds are doing here.

Pictures are good but a text life list of back yard visitors also makes interesting reading, at least for me

So, to paraphrase the famous commercial; What's In Your Yard?

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 10 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Old 03-09-2017, 01:52 PM

wheeze has a spectacular aura aboutwheeze has a spectacular aura aboutwheeze has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: What's In Your Yard?

Neat idea, Ard. I'm one of those odd people who actually keep track of that stuff.
Over time, we've had:
Moose (last was a cow and calf that spent 8 days here in January a couple years ago)
Deer (I could do without them. Got a garden)
Black Bear (hard on the bird feeders)
Coywolf (Gray wolf/Coyote hybrid)
Red Fox
Raccoon
Porcupine
Bobcat
Snowshoe Hare
Skunk
Red, Gray and Northern Flying Squirrel
Short tailed Weasel
Muskrat
Meadow vole, Deer Mouse, Meadow Jumping Mouse
Frogs (spring peeper, wood, leopard, green, bull, and American toad)
Snakes (eastern garter, smooth green, redbellied)
Salamanders (yellow-spotted, blue spotted, redbacked)
Birds:
Well, likely a couple hundred species over the years; the neat ones are Bald Eagle, Osprey, Barred Owl, Coopers Hawk, Sharpshinned Hawk, Ruffed Grouse, (Ringneck Pheasants, Chukars and bobwhite Quail - all escapes from the hunt dog training farm up the hill), Pileated woodpecker, bittern, great blue heron, etc.
Had 21 species at the feeders over this winter, alone.

...other than that, its been pretty quiet.
brent
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 6 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Old 03-09-2017, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator
What's In Your Yard?

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

We had red squirrels for some years.....till one of them was ran over by a car in the street....with all the new districts looks like we're now too far from the country
Old 03-09-2017, 03:20 PM

Idahoflyfishmn is on a distinguished road

I am fortunate to live on a river, with the variety of wildlife (and fish) that are attracted to the area. I have posted several pictures that are self explanatory. A couple require a '2nd look' i.e.: The winter picture, there is a Cougar on the rock just over the fence line (walked past my window, looked at me...just like a NatGeo documentary) There is a coyote on the far side of the creek in one photo. (caught him with the camera just after he snacked on a squirrel). The rainbow is my first rainbow (after about 1/2 dozen browns) caught on a dry fly in my creek last fall (just started fly fishing last March!)
I have never posted a picture, so I am going to give this a try...

http://rs44.pbsrc.com/albums/f16/jti...h=210&fit=crop

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 4 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Ard, kentuckysteve, hairwing530, mcnerney liked this post
Old 03-09-2017, 03:39 PM
Administrator

Ard has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Ard Send a message via Skype™ to Ard

The PM I sent you, if you do what I said this will show up

Just open your picture in PB then click the IMG code, then right click and choose Copy.

Come back to your post, position the cursor where you want the image and right click, choose Paste. Done

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 4 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes dennyk, iv_wjb, hairwing530, mcnerney liked this post
Old 03-09-2017, 03:43 PM

fr8dog is a splendid one to beholdfr8dog is a splendid one to beholdfr8dog is a splendid one to beholdfr8dog is a splendid one to beholdfr8dog is a splendid one to beholdfr8dog is a splendid one to beholdfr8dog is a splendid one to beholdfr8dog is a splendid one to behold

I've had the usual stuff from time to time. Deer, fox, turkeys, raccoons, and lately possums. Coons and possums end up in the live trap and get moved. Possums dig up the yard even though I put down grub killer and the masked bandits mess up my bird feeders. Can't bring myself to shoot them just for sneaking meals. Armadillos every once in a while. Squirrels I've just learned to live with. They use my "squirrel proof" bird feeder as an all you can eat buffet.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 6 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Old 03-09-2017, 04:21 PM

weiliwen is a name known to allweiliwen is a name known to allweiliwen is a name known to allweiliwen is a name known to allweiliwen is a name known to allweiliwen is a name known to all

I live in a suburb of Chicago, but am always amazed at what has walked, slithered, or flown through my yard. My house is bordered by the Lake County Forest Preserves on one side and the Des Plaines River on another side, so I get my fair share, considering the suburban nature of the area.

White Tail Deer
Coyotes
Skunks
Possums
Racoons
Ferrets
Grey Squirrels
Garter Snakes (turned a corner last summer to see the biggest one I'd ever seen, sunning itself on my deck)
Bald Eagles
Red Tailed Hawks
Cooper Hawks
Great Horned Owls
Screech Owls
Every kind of tweety bird - I keep a feeder filled with black oil sunflower seeds, and also put oranges out for the orioles in the spring time
Many different kinds of woodpeckers, including a Pileated Woodpecker
Mourning Doves
Beaver
Nutria
Snapping Turtles
Carp
Catfish
Northern Pike
Bluegill

I'm sure I'm forgetting something.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 5 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Old 03-09-2017, 04:31 PM
What's In Your Yard?

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I was going to change the tone a little and post some pictures of my cemetery, but I can't seem to find the good ones, so maybe another time....

We have the usual visitors...
Deer will come through in the late fall and clear out anything that's still green, and I'm constantly at war with the woodchuck that has a vacation home under my shed.
And before I fixed the chimney we'd often get bats, chimney swifts and flying squirrels in the house

A couple of years ago I made friends with a raven and she still comes around
In the spring the cats kill a lot of rodents so I started leaving them out for her and she'd come by once a day or so looking for her treat.
Last time that I saw her I was out working in my garden. She gave me a big squawk to announce herself and did a double barrel roll as she flew by.
I've never seen anything like that before !

Big chimney, 5 flues. Plenty of room for squatters

Footstone of the original landowner

Old 03-09-2017, 04:53 PM

iv_wjb will become famous soon enough

Even though we live in an urban environment, we have an interesting menagerie of visitors to our backyard. Fortunately, I'm a bit of a "birder" and enjoy the various species who stop-by. Sometimes, I even manage to get a photo:

White Breasted Nuthatch

American Goldfinch

Cardinal

American Robin

Downy Woodpecker

Rose-Breasted Grosbeak

In addition to the above, we have the usual:

Skunks
Mice
Raccoons
Red-Tailed Hawks
Cooper's Hawks
Sharp-Shinned Hawks
Sparrows
Black-Capped Chickadees
Red-Breasted Nuthatches
Hairy Woodpeckers
House Finches
Red / Purple Finches
Orioles
Hummingbirds
Cats

Dogs

Kids

On occasion we are visited by:

White-tailed Deer

Coyotes
Owls
Ducks

Spring migration brings:

American Redstarts
Indigo Buntings
Warblers (too many variants to mention)
Thrushes

Hermit Thrush:

And, ice hockey (of course)

Well, that's the view, from where I sit

Thanks for looking!

---------- Post added at 05:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:39 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Big chimney, 5 flues. Plenty of room for squatters

That's a beautiful, classic house!
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 7 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Old 03-09-2017, 05:24 PM

comeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond repute

Grew up in the mountains of southern Oregon so used to be deer, bear , occasional bobcat, porcupines and skunks

Now I'm a city slicker so we get a big owl once in a while , so mostly two dachshunds a English springer spaniel and the poo they leave behind is it for me.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 5 Likes, 0 Dislikes