The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  79
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 05-18-2016, 11:52 AM

hokiehunter07 has a brilliant futurehokiehunter07 has a brilliant futurehokiehunter07 has a brilliant futurehokiehunter07 has a brilliant futurehokiehunter07 has a brilliant futurehokiehunter07 has a brilliant futurehokiehunter07 has a brilliant futurehokiehunter07 has a brilliant futurehokiehunter07 has a brilliant futurehokiehunter07 has a brilliant futurehokiehunter07 has a brilliant future
Default Mother @#$%#!$^#%^ Chipmunks....

So I have a fairly wooded .5 acre lot that backs up to what used to be 80 acres of pines and hardwoods. 2 years ago the man the owns the land clearcut all the trees and is letting it grow back up in brush.

All the dang chipmunks in central VA have made their way to my yard. I'm suprised my 40' cherry is still standing with the maze of chipmunk holes weaving in and out of its base. The portion of my yard between my sidewalk and house has sunk about 3" and there must be 60+ holes everywhere.

2 years ago I tried the bucket-o-death (5 gallon bucket 1/2 full of water with a 2x4 propped on it's edge and seeds floating in the water). I got about 20 that way but last year they seemed to wise up.

This year they're worse than ever before. I've taken 4 with the pellet rifle but I'm not making a dent. Anyone got any ideas / dealt with these stupid speed squirrels before?

Hokie.

P.S. Any good patterns involve chipmunk fur???
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes mcnerney, GrtLksMarlin liked this post
Old 05-18-2016, 11:58 AM
Mother @#$%#!$^#%^ Chipmunks....

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mother @#$%#!$^#%^ Chipmunks....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiehunter07 View Post
Anyone got any ideas / dealt with these stupid speed squirrels before?
P.S. Any good patterns involve chipmunk fur???
We used to have a lot, but then we got 5 cats.
I wish I could take a picture of today's "harvest" for ya, but the ravens are well aware of how things work around here and have already cleaned up

I skinned one once.. Never did figure out a use for it.
Likes mcnerney, GrtLksMarlin, fredaevans liked this post
Old 05-18-2016, 12:27 PM

fishmandoug is a jewel in the roughfishmandoug is a jewel in the roughfishmandoug is a jewel in the roughfishmandoug is a jewel in the rough

I'd try to cut the pelt into zonkers and give slumpbusters a try. The original pattern calls for pine squirrel, but chipmunk cant be that different.

One of my favorite small streamers.
Old 05-18-2016, 01:13 PM

GrtLksMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeGrtLksMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeGrtLksMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeGrtLksMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeGrtLksMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeGrtLksMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeGrtLksMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeGrtLksMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeGrtLksMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeGrtLksMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeGrtLksMarlin has a reputation beyond repute

Careful fellas, check your regulations. Quite often "non-game" species of wild mammals and birds either whole or in part cannot be used as bait or in fishing lures/flies.....Granted, if a C.O. is doing DNA tests to determine your dubbing and so on then it has nothing to do with right or wrong, and is likely to never happen.

Just be aware for casual conversations...and as always remember, eat what you kill

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes rockriver liked this post
Old 05-18-2016, 01:25 PM

plecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrtLksMarlin View Post
eat what you kill
Yeah. Lick the bugs off your windshield.

Paul
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 6 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Old 05-18-2016, 01:45 PM

moucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant future

Somewhere, somehow, can't remember where or when, I acquired a tanned chipmunk hide. Makes pretty good spiky nymph dubbing, especially when blended with a little antron and/or sparkle dub. The hair is a little shorter than pine squirrel or fox squirrel, but quite similar.
Old 05-18-2016, 05:15 PM

rockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant future

Finger food over charcoal with a dab of BBQ sauce. To help you out, get a couple of dozen Victor rat traps with the metal pans, superglue whole kernel dried corn (3 kernels) to each pan. Set the traps and start your harvest. It works great with them.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 4 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Old 05-18-2016, 06:14 PM

angledangle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by plecain View Post
Yeah. Lick the bugs off your windshield.
I didn't kill them! My truck did Call it automotive assisted suicide?
Likes GrtLksMarlin, allen1958, fredaevans liked this post
Old 05-18-2016, 06:15 PM

lacanadio has a brilliant futurelacanadio has a brilliant futurelacanadio has a brilliant futurelacanadio has a brilliant futurelacanadio has a brilliant futurelacanadio has a brilliant futurelacanadio has a brilliant futurelacanadio has a brilliant futurelacanadio has a brilliant futurelacanadio has a brilliant futurelacanadio has a brilliant future

We have pack rats. Actually, we seem to not have them anymore. I killed over 20 last year. I'm sure they'll be back. They're nasty, especially so on vehicles parked outside. They'll attack wiring, make nests (think lots of cactus in the engine compartment) and just generally royally screw things up. They're about the size of a (big) chipmunk.

Here's the trap I use...
Amazon.com: Trapper T-Rex Rat Snap Trap-2 traps BELL-1043: Industrial & Scientific Amazon.com: Trapper T-Rex Rat Snap Trap-2 traps BELL-1043: Industrial & Scientific
Amazon.com: Trapper T-Rex Rat Snap Trap-2 traps BELL-1043: Industrial & Scientific
Amazon.com: Trapper T-Rex Rat Snap Trap-2 traps BELL-1043: Industrial & Scientific
. It's nastier than the pack rats . It's also reusable...it's easy to dispose of the body. Around here, the ravens make quick work of the deceased...but they'll carry away a trap that's been occupied. So I stake them down. No more flying traps .

The bait I use is called Provoke, but that may not be appropriate for chipmunks. The traps have a well that seeds could be put into, though.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes mcnerney, GrtLksMarlin, fredaevans liked this post
Old 05-18-2016, 10:42 PM

GrtLksMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeGrtLksMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeGrtLksMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeGrtLksMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeGrtLksMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeGrtLksMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeGrtLksMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeGrtLksMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeGrtLksMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeGrtLksMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeGrtLksMarlin has a reputation beyond repute

-=Save the Chipmunks!=-
Click the image to open in full size.

Considering that Hokiehunter07 is clearly oppressing the peaceful and gentle Chipmunk refugees driven from their natural homeland by his environmentally destructive clear-cutting neighbor...
AND before he begins the orgiastic slaughter, skinning and decimation of their numbers NOT unlike that suffered by the Great North American Bison...
YET most of all before he begins his inevitable Chipmunk-a-vore practices devouring them en masse until they become extinct going the way of such notables as the Dodo, Steller's Sea Cow and Great Auk...

I as usual have a plan...

After establishing a "go-fund-me" site for initial assistance revenue generation, promotion of the Chipmunk Refugees plight can then be expanded so protests may commence further publicizing their trials and tribulations, and thus generating significantly more revenue...

(Hokiehunter07, if you will please PM me your address and phone number so the protestors will know where to go and whom to call, it would be appreciated )

Generously, naturally, I'll manage the program requiring only a minimal executors fee guaranteeing that no less than one-cent of every dollar goes to promoting Chipmunk Suffering awareness (like paying hobos to picket) and ultimately it may expand to where the Chipmunk Foundation grows exponentially...Naturally I'll keep costs low by only utilizing volunteers negating the need for revenue disbursement, and upon reaching a sustainable level of contributions, I'll establish a foundation headquarters in a non-extradition country.

That way we can help Hokiehunter07 with his Chipmunk bias and persecution issues, and protect their numbers so unlike many others, they do not vanish from this earth.
Who knows, in time they might even turn his yard into a Chipmunk preserve where all persecuted Chipmunks may finally find sanctuary.

Hokiehunter07, hope that helps with your problem
Click the image to open in full size.

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 13 Likes, 0 Dislikes