The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  75
Dislikes Dislikes:  4

Old 08-16-2017, 03:11 PM

kentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant future
Default Re: The "Dislike" button

I agree the Dislike button is a bad idea.We usually just post our disagreements in our posts and it's out there for everyone to see the reason we dislike what was posted.If someone presses dislike and then does not post a reply, someone is going to be wondering why or what was the reason they received the dislike.Or if a member has a thorn in their side towards another member they could just dislike every post that member makes as a way to get back at them.Nothing positive can come from a dislike button.It will not stop the arguments like we have seen on here in the past and there is no reason for one member to be able to harm the reputation of any other member.I think that should be the mod's or admin's decision.
I won't use this button even if i do dislike a post.Too many ways it can be taken wrong.
Likes ia_trouter, dakotakid, hairwing530 liked this post
Old 08-16-2017, 03:46 PM

dillon has much to be proud ofdillon has much to be proud ofdillon has much to be proud ofdillon has much to be proud ofdillon has much to be proud ofdillon has much to be proud ofdillon has much to be proud ofdillon has much to be proud ofdillon has much to be proud of

At least it shows who the dislike was from. Who wants to be known as the DISLIKER? Lol...
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes ia_trouter liked this post
Old 08-16-2017, 04:23 PM
The "Dislike" button

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

It's no longer available, but you used to be able to give negative "rep points"
That may have ended about the same time that we got the "like button"
It was controlled in a way that you couldn't dislike a particular person's posts twice in a row. You had to throw a "like" in there in between.

I remember that there was one member in particular, (someone local to me that I happened to have a personal beef with ) that accrued a number of red rep squares where the rest of us have green.
I was only able to give him a single dislike, but apparently I wasn't the only one.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:36 PM

wthorpe is a splendid one to beholdwthorpe is a splendid one to beholdwthorpe is a splendid one to beholdwthorpe is a splendid one to beholdwthorpe is a splendid one to beholdwthorpe is a splendid one to beholdwthorpe is a splendid one to behold

This is really the only forum i have ever followed to any significant degree. The civility here among those who undoubtedly have wildly different views about everything from fishing to politics and everything else is quite an important accomplishment in modern society, and a big reason for my continued interest. The Dislike Button does not necessarily portend the end of western civilization, but I see absolutely no good to come from it.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes hairwing530, ia_trouter, allen1958 liked this post
Old 08-16-2017, 04:55 PM

lacanadio has a brilliant futurelacanadio has a brilliant futurelacanadio has a brilliant futurelacanadio has a brilliant futurelacanadio has a brilliant futurelacanadio has a brilliant futurelacanadio has a brilliant futurelacanadio has a brilliant futurelacanadio has a brilliant futurelacanadio has a brilliant futurelacanadio has a brilliant future

I share the concern. I may be wrong, but I see no way to retract likes, thanks or dislikes once instantiated. That's not good, because an inadvertent click could do a dislike, for example. I'm not likely to want to retract a thanks or like, though.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Old 08-16-2017, 06:24 PM

rangerrich99 has a brilliant futurerangerrich99 has a brilliant futurerangerrich99 has a brilliant futurerangerrich99 has a brilliant futurerangerrich99 has a brilliant futurerangerrich99 has a brilliant futurerangerrich99 has a brilliant futurerangerrich99 has a brilliant futurerangerrich99 has a brilliant futurerangerrich99 has a brilliant futurerangerrich99 has a brilliant future

For probably half-a-dozen years before I found NAFFF, I regularly visited a couple bass fishing sites, where the norm was ranting and raving and at least one or two personal insult wars a day. So I think I was kind of immunized in a way. Nothing on this site has ever come close to getting my hackles up, as it were. Everyone here is just too polite and courteous (not saying that's bad thing in any way).

Anyway, my main problem with the 'Dislike' button is going to be that I'm going to want to use it as a joke or a way to prank someone. Kind of like when someone tells you "don't touch that," or "don't look down." It's just in my nature to want to touch that or look down. Yes, I was the kid that was always getting caught with my burned fingers in the cookie jar.

But I don't think I'd ever use the button in earnest; if I wanted to let someone know I didn't like something, I'd just tell them straight out.

Peace.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes kentuckysteve, spm liked this post
Old 08-16-2017, 07:46 PM

spm has a reputation beyond reputespm has a reputation beyond reputespm has a reputation beyond reputespm has a reputation beyond reputespm has a reputation beyond reputespm has a reputation beyond reputespm has a reputation beyond reputespm has a reputation beyond reputespm has a reputation beyond reputespm has a reputation beyond reputespm has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, I guess I need to add my $0.02 on the new dislike button. I think it is a terrible idea. As others have said it makes it too easy to do a drive by without actually getting involved. It will only cause bad feelings and make this forum a popularity/unpopularity contest.

I belong to a number of different forums, fishing, shooting, etc. and this is the only one on which I am active. There is a reason for this. It's what Hairwing called "Code of conduct". It's important and it's the one thing that makes this forum different from others. I would like to keep it that way. That's my take on it.

Thanks,
steve
Old 08-17-2017, 08:54 AM

james w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by spm View Post

I belong to a number of different forums, fishing, shooting, etc. and this is the only one on which I am active. There is a reason for this. It's what Hairwing called "Code of conduct". It's important and it's the one thing that makes this forum different from others. I would like to keep it that way. That's my take on it.

Thanks,
steve
My experience exactly!
I have signed out permanently on nearly every other forum for that reason.
With sooooo much negativity and hostility in the real world now the last thing I need is to have it creeping into my hobbies.
I deeply dislike the dislike button option.
Likes spm, allen1958 liked this post
Old 08-17-2017, 09:18 AM

dakotakid is a splendid one to beholddakotakid is a splendid one to beholddakotakid is a splendid one to beholddakotakid is a splendid one to beholddakotakid is a splendid one to beholddakotakid is a splendid one to beholddakotakid is a splendid one to beholddakotakid is a splendid one to behold

Totally agree that there is no need for the dislike button. I'd never intentionally use it and hopefully will never hit it by mistake. If anyone disagrees with me, I'd rather they just said so. I usually appreciate other people's perspective, even on controversial subjects.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes spm liked this post
Old 08-17-2017, 09:50 AM

spm has a reputation beyond reputespm has a reputation beyond reputespm has a reputation beyond reputespm has a reputation beyond reputespm has a reputation beyond reputespm has a reputation beyond reputespm has a reputation beyond reputespm has a reputation beyond reputespm has a reputation beyond reputespm has a reputation beyond reputespm has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotakid View Post
If anyone disagrees with me, I'd rather they just said so.
Exactly. Stand up and tell me to my face. Who knows? you may change my mind. But you never will by simply clicking on a dislike button. Honest, courteous exchange of ideas.

I also hope I don't accidentally hit it.

steve
Likes allen1958 liked this post