The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 12-21-2010, 01:17 PM

Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Years best forum post

I am snowed in here today so, reading different forums and such
I visit one forum that several of the post I find amusing to say the least.
Scary to think some of these people are running around out, there specially on fishing spots, with sharp objects.

The best post I have read this year started with One poster (we will call him A) was ice fishing on a trophy lake. He noticed three other ice fishers off to the side. They were having no problem catching fish, but they kept taking this garbage bag back to their car.

Little later on, F&G stops by A's shack. Sticks his head in and asks how A is doing. He replies okay, but that F&G might want to check the other guys (we will call them B) B out.

Sure enough, B was poaching.

A commented that he felt bad that he got a reward for turning B in????? Well, not getting that myself, fine, give the money back or to a worthy cause.

Well about 6 post later of pats on the back to A and atta boys....here comes a guy posting that he was one of B. He reports that knew what he was doing, but couldn't stop keeping the HUGE fish. He admitted he knew he was breaking that law, and was waiting sentence.

So far an interesting thread, right. Well, then several on there started patting B on the back for stepping forward and admitting what he had done??????? Not getting that, he broke the law to me, no pat on the back from me.

NOW, A feels bad because of the cost of the fine to B and offers B his reward money for turning B in.

Is it me or does anyone else find this ........strange to say the least, not to mention a little hillbilly.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:02 PM
Administrator

Ard has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Ard Send a message via Skype™ to Ard
Default Re: Years best forum post

Joni,

I have turned 'B' in quite a few times over the years. Here in Alaska more than anywhere else I have witnessed poachers in action. I have a good relationship with my F&G Troopers here and they know that if I call I have pictures or am still on the river watching the outlaws. Many times a trooper can't get to me while the action is ongoing and they advised me to get a picture of the boat with registration numbers in the frame. This is the ticket (no pun) for tracking down the offenders.

I don't get any pats on the back because no one even knows that I'm part of McGruff's team and that's best out here.

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-21-2010, 02:06 PM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

A little hillbilly is a strong understatement. I'll bet those guys are from Colorado. We have a strong contingent of knuckleheaded bait chucker hillbilly's on a couple "fishing" sites here. This is one reason why Dang Old King is here now and not posting on those sites.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:09 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Joni: That is one strange story! B deserves what he got........a huge fine!
What the heck is A thinking!

Larry

Old 12-21-2010, 02:22 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

We're on the same page Joni. With me "B" gets no pats on the back until he changes his poaching ways. That takes awhile not just some cheap lip service that he knew it was wrong. Ball is in his court (no pun intended, but I like it ). Hope he gets caught next time too.
Good for "A" for telling DFG. Rewarding bad behavior bad. Whole other soap box for some other time.
Yat, I did LOL at your discription.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:06 PM

FlyBum is just really niceFlyBum is just really niceFlyBum is just really niceFlyBum is just really nice

A & B are certainly chucklehead dumb-*$&%'s. Sounds to me like 'A' needs grow a spine!
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:17 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i'm with ard on this.
"b" get's turned in every time, if i see it. i dont care if its bluegills or water buffalo. poaching is poaching.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:39 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

I agree with Ard....The only thing "B" needs is a swift kick in the ***, in addition to a hefty fine. We have plenty of "B"s around here; I just wish the judge would lay some jail time on them in addition to the fines.

Dan
Old 12-22-2010, 09:55 AM

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
Is it me or does anyone else find this ........strange to say the least, not to mention a little hillbilly.
Yup, and yup.

Its nice, I guess, that the guy feels remorse. But he knew the law and chose to break it. The rule of law is important to maintain the society we all want.

(watch, now I'll get a speeding ticket later today...)

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:06 AM

Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Cliff, that subject was brought up as well, but 3 to 5 mph, or if the flow dictates faster, is actually helping not hurting.
This guy admitted to doing this for many, many years. Which means he would still be doing it. He had several OVER 20" fish in his vehicle. So, what happens to those fish. I feel like he took them away from me and that just to fly. How many more fish could they have made? He hurt many people with his dumb act.
The ol' saying, you don't know what you have till it is gone......maybe suspending any chance of hunting and fishing for a year or two could put that respect in check.