Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: The Lower Mountain Fork

Default The Lower Mountain Fork

I was able to sneak away from work and class this week and caught a few fish, enjoy! Mix of different fly's. Fish didn't seem all that active, but with nice weather I stayed with it and had a nice time.

and what I really came for...

Money!

Thanks for looking.
    Last edited by goldeneye; 02-03-2013 at 09:53 PM.

2. Likes Ard, thorsten liked this post

Default Re: The Lower Mountain Fork

Nice fish Goldeneye, but I didn't see any pics from below re-reg dam? Do you ever fish that section? There is an old road that you should explore someday, find a weyerhaeuser logging road map and you can drive right up to the cliff just opposite the restaurant in the park...

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

4. Likes stuie675 liked this post

UGH!!!! you had to post this hahaha, I am probably going to make my way down there in a few weeks. I still need to buy my permit to fish in AK, but that is a quick website visit.

I will fish below the re-reg dam a few times during November and December, but for the most part I'll park and start fishing right below the tail water dam. I like to fish all the way down to the low bridge and all the way back up. One of my favorite places to fish is at the falls in early summer. If you know how to get there it is some of the best fishing on the Mountain Fork, I caught a very small Pike there last year, maybe 6 inches long. I try to stay away from all the tourist if I can. My grandfather was the president of the Weyerhauser Southern Timberlands Unit along the Kiamichi Range; I have maps that most people don't know exist and access to a lot of private land. There isn't an access point that I don't know about, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
    Nice fish Goldeneye, but I didn't see any pics from below re-reg dam? Do you ever fish that section? There is an old road that you should explore someday, find a weyerhaeuser logging road map and you can drive right up to the cliff just opposite the restaurant in the park...

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by goldeneye View Post
    I will fish below the re-reg dam a few times during November and December, but for the most part I'll park and start fishing right below the tail water dam. I like to fish all the way down to the low bridge and all the way back up. One of my favorite places to fish is at the falls in early summer. If you know how to get there it is some of the best fishing on the Mountain Fork, I caught a very small Pike there last year, maybe 6 inches long. I try to stay away from all the tourist if I can. My grandfather was the president of the Weyerhauser Southern Timberlands Unit along the Kiamichi Range; I have maps that most people don't know exist and access to a lot of private land. There isn't an access point that I don't know about, I think.
    Indian petroglyphs, burial mounds never touched by white man, caves so large they held dances in the 1800's but now forgotten, spanish silver mines, stone cairns with meanings forever lost, patches of ginseng never harvested and a cold spring creek that can support trout all year. A lot of history in those mountains not found on any map.

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

I swear that there are Bigfoot around.

Blog Entries

All that sunshine and clear running water makes for good viewing for this ice bound fly fisher. It's great that you shared these pictures!

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Thanks!

I bet the view in Alaska never gets old. A trip to Valdez and Island X are on my bucket list.

March browns should start showing up this time of year there. I had an epic day there a couple years ago fishing a march brown dry all day, my best day ever with a dry fly.
    Okiemountaineer

Would someone please PM me a couple of places off the beaten path to fly fish on the LMF. I like to hike so a good walk is fine. I am strictly catch and release. I would appreciate details on how to get to a few new spots. Thanks in advance. I will be there in less than a month.