hickory creek

troutbound

Reaction score
Anybody ever fish it? Gonna be down that way in a few weeks, looking for advice. I might also run over to Jolly Mill, looks good by the MDC website, just wanting to get a good start on trout this year. We have a bit of land between Joplin and Neosho, we usually go to Roaring River, but to many people for my taste.

stlskyline

Reaction score
No info on hickory.... Google ozark anglers... Capps Creek at Jolly Mill is decent it can get crowded once stocking is done. there are also some hold overs that can be decent. I usually go with a woolie or try a egg pattern under an indicator...or sw worms. If you see trash please pick up. It's amazing what some people will leave there stream side.

troutbound

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I was down getting a load of red oak from the mill yesterday, we I came back through I stopped by Hickory Creek. We walked some of it, never saw a single fish. Talked to some locals, they don't think it's been stocked yet. Gonna head to Capps in 2 weekends, hopefully I will have some luck.

troutbound

Reaction score
Checked out Capps at the mill Friday afternoon. Was there a couple hours, a few fisherman, all spinning tackle. Never saw a fish. I walked from bridge to bridge in the park. Checked out Hickory yesterday, each pool had a couple decent trout, couldn't get them to commit but caught a small carp. I will be back down next weekend, any ideas for flies I should tie up?