LMF (Beaver's Bend State Park) Report for Memorial Day Weekend, 2017

jonbo

Reaction score
I spent the entire Memorial Day Weekend at Beaver's Bend State Park. I fished about 3-4 hours per day. Hung out with my wife the rest of the time. The fishing, as you might expect, what with the holiday weekend and the time of year, was tough. I fished Zone II one morning. I saw a couple of risers out in the deeper slower water below the OPD, but otherwise, nothing. I was fishing streamers. At the Fly Shop they told me that no one has reported much success down there since the water has started getting somewhat warmer the further downstream you get. The guide, Peter, said he's pretty sure that during generation a lot of trout have "climbed" into the ponded area above the dam where we're not allowed to fish. He's seen some big trout in there.

Otherwise I mainly fished the Evening Hole and down into "Hickory". I mainly had success with the little browns they stocked as fingerlings a while ago. They'll still take a variety of baits. They're about 7 inches now. The rainbows were very sulky for the most part. I managed to sight fish a couple putting something like a Barr's Emerger or midge larva right in front of their noses. I caught one on a scud as well, I think. They did not seem to be actively seeking food, at all. It was pretty crowded in the Evening Hole, but not as bad as one might think, so I don't know if that was putting them off, or not.

But then, Tuesday morning (we stayed an extra day) I got down there pretty early. In upper Evening Hole, after trying tiny emergers and nymphs to no avail, I put on a big old Pat's Rubberlegs. For some reason, when I'm not fishing streamers, in these tailwaters I'm adverse to larger flies. I just haven't had a lot of luck with them. Now I don't give them much of a chance, so I don't know if they're any good or not. But Eddy at the Fly Shop had recommended it to me. I'm a believer in using local knowledge, so what the heck? About the first or second cast, bloop goes the indicator, Zing! -goes the reel. Zing!, Zing!, and I'm trucking downstream as fast as I can go. Well, I got him close but couldn't net him. I stabbed at him a few times with the net, but then he broke off. He looked to be about 20-21 inches

Somehow I get impatient at the net. I think I've gotten conditioned to thinking I have to net the fish quickly and return him to the water so as not to kill him. Some fellow tried to help me and that have been part of the problem. It only distracted me (good excuse, anyway), but I didn't care very much. He was a "newby". I helped him fish for a minute, and then took off.

okflyfisher

Reaction score
Jon,
Well, you never know what fly will work! Sometimes you just have to give them something else odd for a change. Glad you hooked into a good one, but sorry he broke off. At least you fooled him!
I'm still somewhat worried(again) about the warm water we are already having this year. From what you experienced in Zone II reminds me of what it was like last year from late August all the way through November. Just very warm water and it made for some very poor fishing. With it already being this warm early in the year, I really don't want to think what it will be like when hot weather really sets in and with the real possibility of the lake being drawn down really low. Hopefully, we'll have a wetter than normal summer and keep the lake at it's normal level.
Thanks for the report and hopefully you'll bring in that nice trout(bow or brown!) the next trip!

Donny