Never Give Up on a Fish

karstopo

Reaction score
Saturday, the wind blustered out of the south all morning, but at around 3, 3:30 pm it looked manageable. I had had enough of football at that point anyhow, so I hopped into the flat bottom for a little bass action. I wanted the bass to be up near the surface so that they would eat a deer hair diver, but after a little bit of that it was clear they weren’t going to conform to my wishes. I put on a smallish gray deer hair clouser. First cast, fish on, lively little jumping bass came to hand.

A few more casts later and I get a good take out away from the bank as I slow strip in the fly. The fish went left, deeper, for 20-30 feet, then moved right about the same distance, felt substantial and stayed deep. Nice, I’m ready to see how big this catfish is going to be. The fish goes left again and finds a clump of 30 Christmas trees that were sunk in about 8-9 feet of water. I’m tugging on the glass 7/8 weight CGR. I can feel the fish is still on, but wrapped up pretty tightly in the trees. I’m getting no where fast and now just want to get free. I’ve given up on the fish and now only hoped to get back my fly. I stuck my 7’6”￾ rod straight down to the brush pile. Reel is submerged and I could feel the branches. Swish back and forth.

At this point, my across the lake neighbor who is out picking up sticks where I am fishing is on the bank right there watching my battle. He happens to be a fly guy, one of the one or two on the lake. Anytime you battle a fish for more than a minute or two on this lake it’s going to garner some attention. I’m 50 feet away and apologizing to him about letting the fish get into the brush. I didn’t know the pile was there, I mumbled.

Swish, swish, my line loosens, a fish rises, it’s a bass! and pretty played out at this point. I lip it in. The neighbor and I both agree it went about 5 pounds. He’s like, nice fish. I agree. Don’t give up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice!

Oh I don't give up, there's a stretch of river where I've hooked two really large steelhead trout over a 6 year period. It is a 17 mile boat trip through boulders and hairpin turns for me to get there but I go at least three or four times every year. I've caught quite a few for the effort some in the 2 foot 6 pound range but never the big boys that keep me going. These fish move up and down this river and the river is 130 miles long but there are certain water and bottom conditions that they prefer. That's the trick here, being able to drive a river for miles and somehow pick the right spot. Once you find a place where there are some hanging around it's a safe bet there will be something there every year. I tried just last month but the water at the boat launch was pretty hard, there were some open leads in the ice upstream but at the launch it was about 1 1/2" thick. Those fish got themselves a pass until next year :)